Robert Murphy - new Western Bulldogs captain

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-11-21/bob-the-new-pack-leader

The Western Bulldogs today installed Bob Murphy as the Club’s Captain for season 2015.
Murphy received the unanimous support from senior Club personnel, coaches and peers to assume the honoured role.
Filling in as Captain on a number of occasions over the past two seasons, and after a considered and consultative process, the 32-year-old emerged as the best person to the lead the young team.
Senior Coach Luke Beveridge said Murphy was a standout among a strong field of established and emerging leaders.
“Bob possesses the qualities to be an exceptional Captain, and was the right choice among a healthy list of capable leaders at the Club.
“He has a great hunger and motivation to succeed in this role, and it’s no surprise he is universally respected in the industry. He is just a great football person.”

Good move, have an older captain for a year before passing on to one of the younger brigade.

The consensus selection among Bulldogs fans so he'll be more popular than the last bloke, whoever he was.

Good choice, although he was probably the obvious selection particularly amongst the older players.
The other alternative would have been to give it to one of the younger guns who would be around for a while to take the team forward, like a Libba.

Who's vice captain?

Who's vice captain?

Leadership group will be finalised throughout the pre-season. Liberatore and Jordan Roughead the front runners, Stringer also possible

Dumb move
Why give him it for a year so he can retire and give it to Liberatore

Because maybe Liberatore isn't ready to take on the captaincy at 22 years of age? or probably won't ever be a sole captain.

Because maybe Liberatore isn't ready to take on the captaincy at 22 years of age? or probably won't ever be a sole captain.
I hope for the future captain sake that they don't do the co-captain thing.. Just back the kid to maintain the role by himself he'll have enough support from the leadership group

I hope for the future captain sake that they don't do the co-captain thing.. Just back the kid to maintain the role by himself he'll have enough support from the leadership group

I worded that wrong, should just read captain. Can see Liberatore being a vice captain but he's not main captaincy material.

Dumb move
Absolutely the right choice. After the last couple of months we've had, the club is crying out for the stability Murph offers even if only for one or two years whilst someone younger comes through the ranks. My money is on Stringer.

Dumb move

Because this gives them a year to transition him, or some other young player, into the role without having the burden of the role hindering their development and performance in 2015. The Bulldogs are a young group, and I think it pays to have a more senior leader for a group like that. Libba probably isn't ready yet, and if they do have him earmarked for the captaincy in the future, this will give him time to prepare. A recent example as to why forcing captaincy on young players, and why that can be especially detrimental if the overall group is young, is Melbourne, when they decided to give the captaincy to Trengove and Jack Grimes.

Good choice by the club there's no point following what MFC did and appoint a captain that's not ready.

Much rather the kids focus on developing themselves that having that extra responsibility and stress.

Don't like the idea of giving it to someone at his age...He has one or two years left, but really with no much choice other than lumping it on a kid they couldn't pick a better guy. Just get lost with your unfunny "rascal of the week" crap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that Boyd is relevant to this discussion.
Just like the Essendon saga wasn't relevant to our discussion yesterday, but you were happy to bring that up.

Don't like the idea of giving it to someone at his age...He has one or two years left, but really with no much choice other than lumping it on a kid they couldn't pick a better guy. Just get lost with your unfunny "rascal of the week" crap.

I've never understood this line of thinking. Quite simply, if you don't like it, don't read it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back