Banter Round 1 2015 - Sydney VS. Essendon* Pre Season discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should be pretty good in the wet, our kick-it-long game plan is perfect for wet weather footy.

We got better last year in the wet, there isn't a need for panic. Essendon almost lost to GWS when they stopped trying late in the season in the wet, need I say more.

You know it's a Sydney home game when the BoM forecast says:

Saturday 4 April
Summary
showers.png

Min 19
Max 26
Shower or two.
Sydney area
Partly cloudy. Medium (60%) chance of showers. Light winds becoming northerly 15 to 20 km/h during the day.
Well, we're ****ed

We have a gameplan in the wet? That's news to me.

Yep.

Instead of kicking it long try to handball in close as much as possible and use short, sharp kicks to contests preferably in the corridor or in our back 50. That's what I have picked up from recent games when it has been wet anyway.

We got better last year in the wet, there isn't a need for panic. Essendon almost lost to GWS when they stopped trying late in the season in the wet, need I say more.

Our wet weather ability is greatly understated. Poor form has coincided with wet weather and made us look like wet weather duds.

Sounds fair to me. Guess Heeney sub?

Personally I cannot see any reason to use Heeney as a sub in the seniors. Needs footy.Play him a month then give him the vest for a game to rest the body then go again with the same rotation of 3 games (or whatever) starting and 1 as sub. He is obviously good enough to play - don't do a Tom Mitchell on the poor kid please.

Given the pointless way we use our sub 90% of the time I simply feel we should use it for what it is - a chance to give a mid a light week.

If we play Sam Reid back then there's no place for Laidler as the third tall defender, as his lack of pace has been shown up when asked to play on the smaller forwards. Given we stuck with him in the backline when Buddy when down against GWS, this would be my assumption. We usually like to play with 7 defenders, and with Reid in that group we have:

Richards, Grundy, Reid, Rampe, Smith, Jetta as the basic 6 and then I would go with Shaw as the 7th, due to his experience, his run and carry and his ability to cover Jetta's prospective opponents should that experiment backfire.

For me Tom Mitchell is a must in this side, we badly need to give JPK some support at the stoppages. And despite the usual complaints about his slowness, when he's play across half forward he actually has above-average pressure stats and can impact the scoreboard (just needs to kick a little straighter)

This means the last spot comes down to Rohan or Towers, both are utilities who can play forward or back, both have plenty of speed to burn but also don't get many possessions during a game. I don't think we can afford to play both in the same 22, even if one of them starts as the sub. I'd lean more towards Rohan at this stage, purely because we've never seen Towers play in defence at seniors level.

My Round 1 side

B: S.Reid, H.Grundy, N.Smith
HB: D.Rampe, T.Richards, L.Jetta
C: D.Hannebery, K.Jack, J.McVeigh
HF: J.Lloyd, L.Franklin, C.Bird
F: H.Cunningham, K.Tippett, A.Goodes
Foll: M.Pyke, J.Kennedy, L.Parker

Int: G.Rohan, T.Mitchell, R.Shaw, I.Heeney (sub)
Emg: D.Towers, J.Laidler, S.Naismith (would need to be elevated first from the rookie list, so keep your eyes peeled)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we play Sam Reid back then there's no place for Laidler as the third tall defender, as his lack of pace has been shown up when asked to play on the smaller forwards. Given we stuck with him in the backline when Buddy when down against GWS, this would be my assumption. We usually like to play with 7 defenders, and with Reid in that group we have:

Richards, Grundy, Reid, Rampe, Smith, Jetta as the basic 6 and then I would go with Shaw as the 7th, due to his experience, his run and carry and his ability to cover Jetta's prospective opponents should that experiment backfire.

For me Tom Mitchell is a must in this side, we badly need to give JPK some support at the stoppages. And despite the usual complaints about his slowness, when he's play across half forward he actually has above-average pressure stats and can impact the scoreboard (just needs to kick a little straighter)

This means the last spot comes down to Rohan or Towers, both are utilities who can play forward or back, both have plenty of speed to burn but also don't get many possessions during a game. I don't think we can afford to play both in the same 22, even if one of them starts as the sub. I'd lean more towards Rohan at this stage, purely because we've never seen Towers play in defence at seniors level.

My Round 1 side

B: S.Reid, H.Grundy, N.Smith
HB: D.Rampe, T.Richards, L.Jetta
C: D.Hannebery, K.Jack, J.McVeigh
HF: J.Lloyd, L.Franklin, C.Bird
F: H.Cunningham, K.Tippett, A.Goodes
Foll: M.Pyke, J.Kennedy, L.Parker

Int: G.Rohan, T.Mitchell, R.Shaw, I.Heeney (sub)
Emg: D.Towers, J.Laidler, S.Naismith

Exact side I had personnel wise. I had Shaw starting in lieu of Jetta but that is just semantics anyway - Jetta/Shaw is the seventh defender seeing that is the way they want to go, Rohan as the sub for utility and Heeney bench.

There will be a riot if Mitchell misses out.

Mitchell's NAB form hardly makes him automatic does it ? Mitchell is a one pace plodder who gets inside and accumulates which during the NAB he didn't do. He disposes well by hand and by foot helicopters is an apt description. At this stage I don't believe he is going to be the messiah some do.
Where as Heeney & Mills next year are going to be a dynamic duo that are going to rip it up for years to come. Unless Mitchell gets a wriggle on by seasons end he will be tradeable and will fetch good value at market. Hope I am wrong about him but he is no walk up start that is for sure.

Mitchell's NAB form hardly makes him automatic does it ? Mitchell is a one pace plodder who gets inside and accumulates which during the NAB he didn't do. He disposes well by hand and by foot helicopters is an apt description. At this stage I don't believe he is going to be the messiah some do.
Where as Heeney & Mills next year are going to be a dynamic duo that are going to rip it up for years to come. Unless Mitchell gets a wriggle on by seasons end he will be tradeable and will fetch good value at market. Hope I am wrong about him but he is no walk up start that is for sure.

Premierships aren't won in March and Diesel Williams was a plodder.

Not saying Mitchell is there (yet) but I still have every belief in him.

I am not in the Mitchell is a walk up start camp. I don't think we solve anything by getting Mitchell to assist Kennedy (whatever that means, JPK does it all himself anyway). IMO it is Mitchell v Bird, one or the other , we can't have both in the team that would be cray cray. We need to show how we can stop teams beating us on the spread I would imagine that will be the plan used again us. Our handball is as good as it gets, our footskills are almost as bad as Eddie's whinging, or at least equally annoying.

Premierships aren't won in March and Diesel Williams was a plodder.

Not saying Mitchell is there (yet) but I still have every belief in him.

Like I said I hope I am wrong but lets call a spade a spade Mitchell is no Greg Williams. He is an honest toiler at best and is still in line as far as locking down a regular senior birth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back