Banter Round 1 2015 - Sydney VS. Essendon* Pre Season discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like a repeat of our meeting at the SCG in 1987, but then again I'm not that keen to jump to far ahead of ourselves.

Though on the Essendon top-ups I would like to take the chance to put on record that the AFL should not be using this as an "Essendon top up" but a top up plan for all clubs to follow in case we ever have a situation where a club can't field a team due to something like a plane crash or illness outbreak. As morbid as that sounds I rather the AFL have a plan in place and use this to do so, rather than be half arsed about it like they are now (when really there isn't the need or right for top-ups).

Quick research shows they have 20 main list and rookie listed players who weren't at the club in 2012 plus 7 who were at the club in 2012 but declined to take part in being Danked. So the available list is something lke this

Experienced (as in Jake Lloyd level experienced plus) - Chapman, Cooney, Daniher, Giles, Goddard, Gwilt, Kommer, McKernan, Z Merrett plus 7 others (total 16)
Less experienced - Ambrose 16 games, Edwards 12, Gleeson 9, Ashby 5, Dalgleish 3, Steinberg 3, Aylett 3, Hams 2 (total 8)
Yet to debut - Langford, Lavrde, Long (total 3)

They will probably need a few top ups but not many and those that are used will be experienced like Clint Jones ex St.Kilda. Team cohesion will be poor.

We should smash a side like the above, too much depth in our midfield and hopefully it's a dry track so our forwards can dominate too.

Quick research shows they have 20 main list and rookie listed players who weren't at the club in 2012 plus 7 who were at the club in 2012 but declined to take part in being Danked. So the available list is something lke this

Experienced (as in Jake Lloyd level experienced plus) - Chapman, Cooney, Daniher, Giles, Goddard, Gwilt, Kommer, McKernan, Z Merrett plus 7 others (total 16)
Less experienced - Ambrose 16 games, Edwards 12, Gleeson 9, Ashby 5, Dalgleish 3, Steinberg 3, Aylett 3, Hams 2 (total 8)
Yet to debut - Langford, Lavrde, Long (total 3)

They will probably need a few top ups but not many and those that are used will be experienced like Clint Jones ex St.Kilda. Team cohesion will be poor.

We should smash a side like the above, too much depth in our midfield and hopefully it's a dry track so our forwards can dominate too.

Have to take into account any injuries and suspensions plus needs in the ruck and key position area. They most likely will be able to field a side with who they would have left and most of their VFL team, but there will be the need for a top up or two you can count on that being the case

Considering the embarrassing lack of effort the Swans as a team put up in our last serious match anything less than 100% in round 1 is unacceptable.

Which is again a perfect reason for not "resting" fit players. The majority have a few bills owing.

I expect to win, but what I demand is the team to be physical, relentless, driven, and passionate. They should and have talked the talk since that time we don't mention. This game is the first game we march together to get our respect back and show action.

A great first game won't get us respect, particularly against a top-up team of Bumbers. GWS beat the biggest team in town in Rd1 2014, popped out frothing then fizzled flat like a can of Coke left on a park bench on a hot day. I don't see anyone respecting them.

Winning flags gets respect.
Won't be an issue. They will be suspended from their other comp and cop the fines that accrue if they do it. It is like saying that park footballers run around belting the crap out of each other illegally just because they are not getting paid. Doesn't happen.

Footy players are still people and the vast majority don't run around looking to intentional, recklessly and illegally maim someone just because they have a uniform on.

My experience has been that there are sometimes one or two who play dirty. In the AFL the video reviews and MRP keep this down, but you still get the odd dirty Libba type who'll scrag a player's nuts in a pack given half a chance. With James Tird's broken moral compass I wouldn't put it past him to slip someone a bonus for taking a couple of Swans out. I hope the umps are on notice.

We need to try and fix our round 1 win loss record which is terrible. We are terrible starters which gives a lot of teams an opportunity, so this is no fete accompli

Ideally we'd win all games but I don't care too much about a poor start if we have a great finish. Losing Rd 1 last year made no difference to our ladder finish, indeed, it may have helped by giving the team a dose of cold reality.

A great first game won't get us respect, particularly against a top-up team of Bumbers. GWS beat the biggest team in town in Rd1 2014, popped out frothing then fizzled flat like a can of Coke left on a park bench on a hot day. I don't see anyone respecting them.

Winning flags gets respect.
I meant more that we are a bit of a laughing stock for the softness of our last game. Time to get Physical (lol the song) and thats the respect i want back. My mates havn't let me forget Elbows in buddys head, Hanners and Parker smashed, Jetta KO'd and zilch...............................

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Subtly indicating past experience... I like it. You seem to post here often and well... You should talk to LukeParkerno1 about the process of Big Footy name changes I reckon... ;)
Why would I need to change my name? It has no link to any particular team.

I'm posting here frequently as I've become a Swans member this year after living in Sydney for the past decade and attending a lot of Swans games. I'm enjoying deepening my Swans love and knowledge.

Sooooooo looking forward to the footy starting.

Why would I need to change my name? It has no link to any particular team.

I'm posting here frequently as I've become a Swans member this year after living in Sydney for the past decade and attending a lot of Swans games. I'm enjoying deepening my Swans love and knowledge.

Sooooooo looking forward to the footy starting.
One of us, one of us :p

I meant more that we are a bit of a laughing stock for the softness of our last game. Time to get Physical (lol the song) and thats the respect i want back. My mates havn't let me forget Elbows in buddys head, Hanners and Parker smashed, Jetta KO'd and zilch...............................

Solution : Next time they mention it. Elbow to your mates head, smash a couple of others and KO one of them. Tell 'em it was all above board (at least according to the umpires on the day).

I don't know whether Horse told the players not to get drawn in (one rule for Hawks, one for Swans) but I agree, at some point they should have gone the biff.

Solution : Next time they mention it. Elbow to your mates head, smash a couple of others and KO one of them. Tell 'em it was all above board (at least according to the umpires on the day).

I don't know whether Horse told the players not to get drawn in (one rule for Hawks, one for Swans) but I agree, at some point they should have gone the biff.

If we did that imagine how many free kicks we would give away.

Who says essendon will be depleted round 1 this is the afl, they will slap their wrists

Not the AFL. They've already handed down their punishment.

Ideally we'd win all games but I don't care too much about a poor start if we have a great finish. Losing Rd 1 last year made no difference to our ladder finish, indeed, it may have helped by giving the team a dose of cold reality.

Of course if losing Round 1 doesn't reflect our final position then who cares, it's just something I've noticed since the 80's how poor we seem to do in that first game. Traditionally we have finished well but the last couple of years that hasn't really been true. I would hate to win round 1 and then go on a losing streak I guess. Win every game in a season ...yeah that will do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back