Unofficial Preview Round 1, 2024: Bombers v Hawks, MCG 1:10pm Sat 16th March

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finn being picked means it's odds on he is going the hard tag on Merrett.

I don't see any other reason he is getting picked.

A little disappointed we didn't pick Phillips and are making Sicily our number 1 KPD again. I don't think that's fair to Sic and it hurts us in the long tèrm.
Agreed - if Finn doesn't go to Merrett he shouldn't be in the squad. Offers nothing forward or back. Let me clamp down on Merrett for the full 120

Agreed - if Finn doesn't go to Merrett he shouldn't be in the squad. Offers nothing forward or back. Let me clamp down on Merrett for the full 120
I just don't really see Finn as part of the future (will be happy to be proven wrong). I'd have preferred for someone like Hustwaite to be taught to tag, as when he gets the ball he looks like a good user and has, IMO, more upside.

I just don't really see Finn as part of the future (will be happy to be proven wrong). I'd have preferred for someone like Hustwaite to be taught to tag, as when he gets the ball he looks like a good user and has, IMO, more upside.
Huss would get absolutely torched on the spread trying to tag. He hold up well in the contest imo but the moment the ball hits space he’s not catching Merrett or Martin.

Which is what makes Finn so good as a tagger as he has the running capapcity, speed and strength to match it with anyone.

Huss keeps putting his hand up and he will get his chance.

Last season Finn kept quite some of the best players in the comp. Can’t be disappointed in him not racking up 25+ possessions but appreciate his worth when given a job as he regularly keeps the designated opposition player he is on quite …… we are talking influential types such as Daicos, Oliver etc. Great for our coaches to have this up their sleeve!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last season Finn kept quite some of the best players in the comp. Can’t be disappointed in him not racking up 25+ possessions but appreciate his worth when given a job as he regularly keeps the designated opposition player he is on quite …… we are talking influential types such as Daicos, Oliver etc. Great for our coaches to have this up their sleeve!

I've said it before with Finn but if we look at footy like a chessboard it's like sacrificing a pawn to take out the opponents queen.

It's has to be one of the most valuable trade offs to sacrifice the game of your 22nd best player for the oppositions best.

I've said it before with Finn but if we look at footy like a chessboard it's like sacrificing a pawn to take out the opponents queen.

It's has to be one of the most valuable trade offs to sacrifice the game of your 22nd best player for the oppositions best.
Agree. Provided it doesn’t throw out preferred structure and he doesn’t go outside of his limitations as we don’t want him with the ball, he has a valuable role to play. If your least talented player can defeat the opposition’s most talented and effectively give us a nil all draw, you take that.

For opposition teams with a clear number 1 midfielder like Merrett is at the Don's it makes sense to pick Finn.

But for other teams that have a more even spread of midfield talent it may not make as much sense to pick him and rather back our midfield unit (without Finn) to come out on top.

I'd only be picking him to tag the absolute superstar mids like Petracca, Daicos, Brayshaw, etc.

Don’t get the Finn hate.
We literally have a player that is the very best, bar none in the competition at the role he is asked to play and people don’t want to play him, particularly in a game where the opponent has a player with the potential to destroy us.
He plays and he’ll play well
It's not hate. We are in a development phase. Is it in our best interests to tag the opposition's best player at the expense of developing younger players.
When we are competing for the silverware then the questions become:
If the midfield becomes dominant would we really need to tag?
If we do tag do we need that player to be more like Ling who gave good contributions while tagging?

It's not hate. We are in a development phase. Is it in our best interests to tag the opposition's best player at the expense of developing younger players.
When we are competing for the silverware then the questions become:
If the midfield becomes dominant would we really need to tag?
If we do tag do we need that player to be more like Ling who gave good contributions while tagging?
I'd argue that if there are plans to tag when we're a more complete side then it makes perfect sense to tag now while in a development phase. Sam has mentioned before how having Finn playing that tagging role effects the team defensive structure. The team needs to continue to develop and gain experience on how we play when we're tagging.

Sam has also spoken about how Finn will need to add more to his game given tagging won't always be needed for every opposition or for a whole match. Remember that Finn is a young player who is developing too.

Huss would get absolutely torched on the spread trying to tag. He hold up well in the contest imo but the moment the ball hits space he’s not catching Merrett or Martin.

Which is what makes Finn so good as a tagger as he has the running capapcity, speed and strength to match it with anyone.

Huss keeps putting his hand up and he will get his chance.
And Finn has the mindset to do it. That isn't easily coached to get a player to have the complete dedication to just stopping a player

For opposition teams with a clear number 1 midfielder like Merrett is at the Don's it makes sense to pick Finn.

But for other teams that have a more even spread of midfield talent it may not make as much sense to pick him and rather back our midfield unit (without Finn) to come out on top.

I'd only be picking him to tag the absolute superstar mids like Petracca, Daicos, Brayshaw, etc.

With how important ball movement is these days I can see Finn having a match up every week.

If it's not the oppos best mid than their best rebounder is a target we've sicced him on. Did a great job on Sinclair.

Finn can do a job on a range of players, look at the scalps he's taken over the last few years:

• Libba (until he was injured)
  • Miller
  • Oliver (for 3 quarters)
  • Daicos
  • Langdon
  • Rioli (for 3 quarters)
  • Sheezel (first half)
  • Thomas (second half)
  • Dawson
  • T. Kelly
  • J. Kelly
  • Sinclair (one quarter only)
  • Bolton

He played well on Weightman last weekend too. We are talking about some of the best midfielders / players in the league here.

He has shown he can play on every variety of midfielder and on running HBF's too. Now he's starting to show he can play on small forwards.

I'd argue that if there are plans to tag when we're a more complete side then it makes perfect sense to tag now while in a development phase. Sam has mentioned before how having Finn playing that tagging role effects the team defensive structure. The team needs to continue to develop and gain experience on how we play when we're tagging.

Sam has also spoken about how Finn will need to add more to his game given tagging won't always be needed for every opposition or for a whole match. Remember that Finn is a young player who is developing too.
Fair response and agree with your take. Especially around Finn being young and developing himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back