Round 1 looks full of upsets

Remove this Banner Ad

Are they really upsets if you're predicting them a couple of months out?

Carlton vs Richmond - Tigers by 27 points
Melbourne vs Gold Coast - Dees by 14 points
Sydney vs Essendon - Swans by 39 points
Brisbane vs Collingwood - Lions by 23 points
Western Bulldogs vs West Coast - West Coast by 15 points
St Kilda vs GWS - Saints by 19 points
Adelaide vs North - Adelaide by 47 points
Fremantle vs Port Adelaide - Port Adelaide by 32 points
Hawks vs Cats - Geelong by 13 points

Last edited:
Don't see Carlton anywhere near finals this year. Think the top 8 will remain mostly unchanged, except for possibly Adelaide, West Coast or Gold Coast sneaking in.

The only team in the bottom 6 I can see surging up the ladder is probably Brisbane. They showed a lot of promise at the end of the season and recruited brilliantly with Beams and Christensen.

its fascinating that on the back of a full strength Port running over the top of a severely depleted Freo last September (after Freo spanked them in the first half) has seen Port now rated a better side in most of the minds here. I don't say its necessarily wrong but its not a view that takes into account much more than one quarter of footy.

When Port had half the injuries we did (in September) to their backline (in the middle of the year) they lost about 5 games in a row.

its fascinating that on the back of a full strength Port running over the top of a severely depleted Freo last September (after Freo spanked them in the first half) has seen Port now rated a better side in most of the minds here. I don't say its necessarily wrong but its not a view that takes into account much more than one quarter of footy.

When Port had half the injuries we did (in September) to their backline (in the middle of the year) they lost about 5 games in a row.

It's not that fascinating, Port is a younger team that's already made significant progress in a short time and still has a lot more growing to do.

Freo may be better than them next year but it would hardly be a surprise if Port went right past them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not that fascinating, Port is a younger team that's already made significant progress in a short time and still has a lot more growing to do.

Freo may be better than them next year but it would hardly be a surprise if Port went right past them.
Finding something fascinating is subjective. Perhaps you thought I meant surprising.
And surely if Freo are better than them next year then it makes it surprising that practically everyone here is tipping Port in Rd 1 and by some margin.

Don't see Carlton anywhere near finals this year. Think the top 8 will remain mostly unchanged, except for possibly Adelaide, West Coast or Gold Coast sneaking in.

The only team in the bottom 6 I can see surging up the ladder is probably Brisbane. They showed a lot of promise at the end of the season and recruited brilliantly with Beams and Christensen.
Brisbane are lacking in quality talks at either end of the ground, as well as experience. Will dominate sides in the midfield and probably finish around 10th, but they're a while off finals for mine.

Also Port were a game behind Freo on the ladder last year. The difference between them is negligible at best, and considering Port added Ryder and their very young squad is a preseason fitter it's not hard to see why they might go past the Dockers.

It's a pretty close round with GC the shortest priced favourites at $1.43 followed by the Hawks at $1.46.

You can make a case for every underdog to win.

If Ablett doesn't play R1 I give us a huge chance. He was the difference last year in an 8 point game (though GC's kicking for goal was deplorable). Both clubs with additions over the trade period which should have similar effect (GC Malceski, Hallahan - Melb Lumumba, Newton, Garlett + Hogan) on structure and competitiveness.

- Carlton to beat the Tigers
- Roosy to get the Dees up to a rare win against GC in R1
- St Kilda to beat GWS at home
- North to beat Adelaide on their home deck
- Geelong to beat the Hawks (order restored)

How low the Saints have sunk for this to be considered an upset!

I said Blues unlikely to make finals, they might always a chance but it's slim. Melbourne have no chance at all 15th-17th finish

Not that your club cares, most likely get another priority pick with it

I said Blues unlikely to make finals, they might always a chance but it's slim. Melbourne have no chance at all 15th-17th finish

Not that your club cares, most likely get another priority pick with it
FYI Carlton have received more priority picks than Melbourne. Or at least you would have if you hadn't had one stripped in 2002 for cheating the salary cap.

Didn't you know, they are the best running side in the league etc, guess someone forgot to tell us when we outran them earlier in the season. Port are very good (as are Freo who'll be around the mark again) full of young, quick and classy players, but their fans shouldn't underrated other teams, as you said they lost a few games in a row due to injury which can happen to any side.

It's a pretty close round with GC the shortest priced favourites at $1.43 followed by the Hawks at $1.46.

You can make a case for every underdog to win.
Essendon is a rank outsider to beat Sydney at $6.25.
Fair to say it would be a huge upset if Essendon beat Sydney on the road.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back