Preview Round 10, 2023 : Hawks v Eagles, UTAS 1:10pm, Sunday 21st May

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 of these boys are playing this week in the indigenous round, wish Chad was in form to make it 4 out of 4.

347858120_954431245597194_718712602505923164_n.jpg

We should comfortably beat the Eagles in Tassie but with all the off-field drama surrounding the club right now Sammy has his work cut out to keep the boys focused. This is our biggest challenge.

I feel like this year the coaching panel is trying to turn an average AFL player / good VFL player in Bramble into an AFL quality half back (results have been very mixed in that front).

But in doing so we are regressing a quality AFL half back in Scrimmers into I'm not quite sure what. Nothing good from where I am sitting.

People point out Jack's defensive deficiencies but Bramble has exactly the same issues without Jack's offensive flair and intercept marking.

We are a much better team when Scrimmers is in the side playing well (which is most games he plays), I'm not sure what we are trying to achieve by putting him in the outer.
I feel like this year you are constantly overlooking/ignoring Jack’s lack of run, pace and urgency.

In doing so, you are still claiming him to be a quality AFL half back, but at this point are at odds with the match committee (from where you are sitting).

People point out Jack's defensive deficiencies but Bramble must be doing more as far as Sam and the selection committee is concerned.

You claim we are a much better team when Scrimmers is in the side playing well (which is true), but he clearly isn’t playing well and/or doing what the coaches want him to do to get into / remain in the senior 22.

What we are trying to achieve by playing him in the Box Hill side is to have him play better, with more urgency and effort at the lower level. Then hoping that when / if he returns to the senior team, that improved effort /urgency might translate into his output at AFL level.

Last edited:
I feel like this year you are constantly overlooking/ignoring Jack’s lack of run, pace and urgency.

In doing so, you are still claiming him to be a quality AFL half back, but at this point are at odds with the match committee (from where you are sitting).

People point out Jack's defensive deficiencies but Bramble must be doing more as far as Sam and the selection committee is concerned.

You claim we are a much better team when Scrimmers is in the side playing well (which is true), but he clearly isn’t playing well and/or doing what the coaches want him to do to get into / remain in the senior 22.

What we are trying to achieve by playing him in the Box Hill side is to have him play better, with more urgency and effort at the lower level. Then hoping that when / if he returns to the senior team, that improved effort /urgency might translate into his output at AFL level.
My question is though is when was it decided that he wasn't playing well?

He had a very solid, consistent 2022 (top ten finish in the B&F). He was one of the main reasons our backline was a relative strength last year.

But somehow over the pre season I feel like he has found himself on the outer with Sam. And I'm not sure that's going to end well.

I stand by my statement that over his five years at the club Jack has been quality. Yes he has deficiencies (every player does) but taken as a whole his output has been absolutely top notch (especially since we basically got him for free from GC).

Bloody hell! I find the justification for Scrimshaw not playing intriguing. We've all watched the team this year. If every player was dropped because they had "deficiencies" that needed improving, we couldn't field a side. They've all got flaws. Some have bloody terrible flaws. Jack is best 22. Much better than some selected players. Either he's injured with turf toe or he's best 22. His attributes outweigh his deficiencies & the team would benefit from his inclusion.

Bloody hell! I find the justification for Scrimshaw not playing intriguing. We've all watched the team this year. If every player was dropped because they had "deficiencies" that needed improving, we couldn't field a side. They've all got flaws. Some have bloody terrible flaws. Jack is best 22. Much better than some selected players. Either he's injured with turf toe or he's best 22. His attributes outweigh his deficiencies & the team would benefit from his inclusion.
That's exactly 💯 my thinking.

I can't believe that a team who is currently bottom of the ladder with one win for the whole season has the luxury of talent to drop a player of Scrimmers proven ability and output. One win!

Do we honestly believe that Kossy has a greater ceiling than Jack? Or Bramble? Unlikely.

I'm only spitballing here but i feel that Scrimmers (a bit like Tom Mitchell last year) may not fit into Sam's mould for how he wants the team to play? Not athletic enough potentially?

I understand Sam wants to mould a team into his image and I get that line of thinking but at some stage you need to work with what you got.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam is trying to play a running game. Scrim just doesn’t run he’s enough or fast enough. That is why he had bramble there at the start of the season and brought him back after bramble showed great form in the vfl. I hope scrim sees this as a clear sign to improve and takes up that challenge.

With two rucks and both Kosi and Lewis forward I am glad we have gone with as much pace as possible from the bench in Bramble, Brockman and Weddle. None of Greene, Morrison or Scrim are quick.
Lewis may not play. It’s a total 50/50 at this point. Any information on him?

That's exactly 💯 my thinking.

I can't believe that a team who is currently bottom of the ladder with one win for the whole season has the luxury of talent to drop a player of Scrimmers proven ability and output. One win!

Do we honestly believe that Kossy has a greater ceiling than Jack? Or Bramble? Unlikely.

I'm only spitballing here but i feel that Scrimmers (a bit like Tom Mitchell last year) may not fit into Sam's mould for how he wants the team to play? Not athletic enough potentially?

I understand Sam wants to mould a team into his image and I get that line of thinking but at some stage you need to work with what you got.

Scrimshaw has one main deficiency that is the easiest one to overcome. It's not an issue of skill or athleticism. It's work rate.

Until he fixes it expect him to be on the outer.

Tom Barrass didn’t even make the flight over with the team.

Scrimshaw has one main deficiency that is the easiest one to overcome. It's not an issue of skill or athleticism. It's work rate.

This logic is flawed. He's not the only one whose deficiency is work rate, there's others in the same boat. Yet they still get games.

This logic is flawed. He's not the only one whose deficiency is work rate, there's others in the same boat. Yet they still get games.

Scrim is a 'senior player' in a position we have considerable depth.

Just like DGB isn't making it to the seniors until he gets his tank in check.

I don't get this.

Scrimshaws greatest asset that I have seen (along with his obvious level of talent) is his consistency.

Go back and look through the last four years of his game stats, he very rarely puts in a bad game. In fact his output is remarkably even over his career with the Hawks.

If he had a problem with work rate I would expect much greater highs and lows in his output which I just don't see any evidence of.

All the top 4 teams are built on players like this, the ones that turn up every week and perform and we are currently playing on of the few players who can do this for us in the VFL.

I don't get this.

Scrimshaws greatest asset that I have seen (along with his obvious level of talent) is his consistency.

Go back and look through the last four years of his game stats, he very rarely puts in a bad game. In fact his output is remarkably even over his career with the Hawks.

If he had a problem with work rate I would expect much greater highs and lows in his output which I just don't see any evidence of.

All the top 4 teams are built on players like this, the ones that turn up every week and perform and we are currently playing on of the few players who can do this for us in the VFL.
It’s not about him getting the ball. Pretty much all our defenders get the ball. It’s what he’s doing when he doesn’t have the ball that the coaches don’t like.

That doesn’t show up in stats. But can be the difference between a good 20 disposal game and a bad one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back