Preview Round 10, 2023 : Hawks v Eagles, UTAS 1:10pm, Sunday 21st May

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, some proper good care for your fellow Hawks brethren in this thread, good to see. Good board, cheers

Also, you lads need to have zero fear of a loss here. You are really solid through the midfield, our big weakpoint. Barrass has been shouldering the load of some heavy workloads and has fallen over. Or we're tanking. Seriously though, we have ~2000 AFL games out, we don't need to tank.
You'll be in for a 10 goal win if you turn up. 100 points wouldn't shock me

Enjoy it lads.

Firstly, some proper good care for your fellow Hawks brethren in this thread, good to see. Good board, cheers

Also, you lads need to have zero fear of a loss here. You are really solid through the midfield, our big weakpoint. Barrass has been shouldering the load of some heavy workloads and has fallen over. Or we're tanking. Seriously though, we have ~2000 AFL games out, we don't need to tank.

Enjoy it lads.
Never say never when you’re talking about the Hawthorn Football Club...

I don't get this.

Scrimshaws greatest asset that I have seen (along with his obvious level of talent) is his consistency.

Go back and look through the last four years of his game stats, he very rarely puts in a bad game. In fact his output is remarkably even over his career with the Hawks.

If he had a problem with work rate I would expect much greater highs and lows in his output which I just don't see any evidence of.

All the top 4 teams are built on players like this, the ones that turn up every week and perform and we are currently playing on of the few players who can do this for us in the VFL.
Go back and look at his stats from last year. Averaged over 7 intercepts a game. That is elite for his position. Averaged 11.8 uncontested possessions which is only average for his position. A guy with his boot should be elite for uncontested possessions because we would want the ball in his hands. But he isn’t because he doesn’t work hard enough without the ball to get it often enough. And that was in his best season. 2023 is far from his form last year.

Maybe he is carrying an injury which many on here have stated, and that's why he's been on the outer

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Injury hasn't helped, but if you go back through the years he's been with us, you will find he has only twice been selected in the round 1 team.

My pet theory: the guy just doesn't train hard enough, and doesn't get the best out of himself. It must be a little more evident in the pre-season, when the coaches see less of the ability to possess natural talent, and more of the ability to push themselves. I could list many players (Nash, Kosi, Moore, Worpel, Hardwick, Blanck, Bramble) who don't possess Jack's level of natural footballing abilities, but they will be running out this weekend. I don't mind him playing at Box Hill if it's the kick up the backside he needs.

Track watchers/ITK have explained numerous times since early pre season , pretty much weekly now why Scrimshaw is possible on the outer .

Mitch even mentioned at at a presser weeks ago he was carrying an injury/niggle also

Does the same discussion have to happen every week ?!

This week has been a bad week for me. I really am not doing great. This will just send me over the edge. If we lose, I will seriously need somebody to talk to.
As J2S said.

Football is only one part of life, a very minuscule part, yes it can be great with its highs and lows and the enjoyment and endless possibilities of different emotions which just make it the game it is, but it is a game after all.

It’s not nearly as important as your own mental health and well-being or the family around you, so if you need anyone to talk to, no matter the time. I will be here with open DMs, no pressure and hope you’re all good!

Enjoy it lads.
this right here is the problem

I don't get this.

Scrimshaws greatest asset that I have seen (along with his obvious level of talent) is his consistency.

Go back and look through the last four years of his game stats, he very rarely puts in a bad game. In fact his output is remarkably even over his career with the Hawks.

If he had a problem with work rate I would expect much greater highs and lows in his output which I just don't see any evidence of.

All the top 4 teams are built on players like this, the ones that turn up every week and perform and we are currently playing on of the few players who can do this for us in the VFL.
He great great hands, very clean below his knees, natural reader of the play, excellent skills. Has been in our best ten players in recent years. There must be more at play than form. He has not been given a go.

This week has been a bad week for me. I really am not doing great. This will just send me over the edge. If we lose, I will seriously need somebody to talk to.
It sounds like you've been struggling for some time. Being proactive is always part of the solution. Happy to chat to you if you need someone to listen.

As far as the Hawks go, it hasn't clicked for us yet, but there are so many positives. We just have to acknowledge they'll be a few lows on our road to 2026 premiers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloody hell! I find the justification for Scrimshaw not playing intriguing. We've all watched the team this year. If every player was dropped because they had "deficiencies" that needed improving, we couldn't field a side. They've all got flaws. Some have bloody terrible flaws. Jack is best 22. Much better than some selected players. Either he's injured with turf toe or he's best 22. His attributes outweigh his deficiencies & the team would benefit from his inclusion.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Track watchers/ITK have explained numerous times since early pre season , pretty much weekly now why Scrimshaw is possible on the outer .

Mitch even mentioned at at a presser weeks ago he was carrying an injury/niggle also

It's quite strange that he keeps being named as sub or an emergency though. If you're not right you just don't get named.

Also only played the one box hill game in round 1.

If he's injured why is he being named at all as an emergency or sub? If it's form based why isn't he playing Box Hill?

Can't give a hug emoji to you post so have this one instead

Loading Hug GIF by MOODMAN

Scrimshaw has one main deficiency that is the easiest one to overcome. It's not an issue of skill or athleticism. It's work rate.

Until he fixes it expect him to be on the outer.

Has courage in spades throwing himself in to pack and marking contests. Not exactly the same as running work rate but for me effort for Scrimmers isn’t an issue.

His continued exclusion is baffling. Was top 5 for us last season imo, let alone best 22.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's quite strange that he keeps being named as sub or an emergency though. If you're not right you just don't get named.

If he's injured why is he being named at all as an emergency or sub? If it's form based why isn't he playing Box Hill?
Maybe Mitch knows what he's got with scrimshaw, and is instead moving the pieces with out players.

He knows scrim has flaws, but is capable all over the ground. Why not in a tanking year to play him as a super sub?

Thats why I would put a lot of weight in what the ITKs were saying through pre season

Track watchers have speculated, Mitchell mentioned injury weeks ago & posters are now hypothesising, but there has been nothing definitive from the club. The less you tell people, the more they'll talk about you. This is a classic example. When the team was announced on Instagram, the vast majority of comments were about Scrim. It's now becoming a distraction. If they provide some clarity the discussion will cease. He's a much loved player, not a struggling rookie. Unfortunately Groundhog Day will reoccur until this happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back