Review Round 10, 2023 vs Narrm

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done, friends. If there's a supporter group on here that I don't mind losing to, it's you lot. With a whole forward line to come back in, you could definitely be up there this year – there's a toughness to this Port side that I haven't seen in a long time.

Butters was incredible – showed up some seasoned pros in the middle.
Why didn’t Goodwin put someone on him? I suppose it’s unusual for the Melbourne midfield to be shown up a little

41 touches is a lot to give up.

Yup.

Never pick ******* Teakle again, for all Lycett's faults, if you aren't going to pick Dante or Hayes, then Lycett is the man. At least he will compete. His performance was what took us from competitive, to dominant. Imagine what would happen if we actually had a good ruck.
The reality is, that we should have sunk time into our genuine future option last season, no matter who that was. The bullshit decision to try and make your point about "an extra mid" set us back a good 6 months of development.

Why didn’t Goodwin put someone on him? I suppose it’s unusual for the Melbourne midfield to be shown up a little

41 touches is a lot to give up.
Your guess is as good as mine. It's the same coach that decided to give Petracca's midfield minutes to plodder-extraordinare Brayshaw for half the game – does some genuinely mind-boggling things sometimes.

Yup.

Never pick ******* Teakle again, for all Lycett's faults, if you aren't going to pick Dante or Hayes, then Lycett is the man. At least he will compete. His performance was what took us from competitive, to dominant. Imagine what would happen if we actually had a good ruck.
Yeah in that particular two horse race, at least Lycett has an idea how to play the role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done, friends. If there's a supporter group on here that I don't mind losing to, it's you lot. With a whole forward line to come back in, you could definitely be up there this year – there's a toughness to this Port side that I haven't seen in a long time.

Butters was incredible – showed up some seasoned pros in the middle.
Classy effort. See ya in September maybe.

You can’t deny it. This is a tight group.❤️
No, it's an amazing midfield, and the squad around it is holding together, as they should when coached well. Finally we're starting to see what we should with this group. Jobs far from done yet though, this needs to be the START of what we're building not just a tease. Like a service break in tennis, a win like tonight is only as good as the follow up consolidation of the win. Must win next week, and really consolidate a position in that top 4.

Brilliant win. Melbourne struggled to get out of their half in the last quarter and eventually the territory and weight of possession was capitalised upon. Wins like tonight and the close win against Essendon will be the difference between being a top 4 team or scraping into the 8.

On an individual level Butters was outstanding. Lord and Williams both stepped up in the 4th quarter as well, which was great to see.

Your guess is as good as mine. It's the same coach that decided to give Petracca's midfield minutes to plodder-extraordinare Brayshaw for half the game – does some genuinely mind-boggling things sometimes.
Petracca starting up forward was strange.

I thought Oliver and Petracca would run away with it after the 3rd. Port did well the wrestle back the momentum.

I owe Dylan Williams an apology. Did not think he had this in him, but he's been incredible since he came into the side. Performs under pressure, great kick of the ball and is making good decisions with it. Also knows his limitation (i.e. his lack of speed) and seems to be playing around it by good positioning.

Obviously an awesome awesome win. We weren't effective when having shots on goal, but that's to be expected when its wet and we're playing half a recognised forward line. Would help though if we could get some shots closer to goal - felt like all our marks inside 50 were 30m+ out.

Butters. BOG by a ******* mile. Rozee and JHF getting it done. Willem Drew outstanding. After Melbourne kicked 7 in the 3rd I had my doubts but the boys dug deep. Magnificent.

Edit - Dyl Williams is a player ♥️

I was really impressed by Ollie Lord. Wet game, up against a defence with May and Lever. Manages to hold his own and bag 2 goals including a clutch kick in the last quarter. Outstanding game considering the players missing in our forward line.
^ this.

I've been critical of Ollie, I've felt he doesn't have a future, but that was the best game I've seen him play by a country mile and it starts to show there's more there than I ever thought. Fantastic performance. If he kicks straight, against those defenders, that would've been phenomenal output. Amazing what giving some games to a developing player can do.

Well played Ollie Lord.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back