Review Round 14, 2023 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Dixon looked very sore and uncharacteristically slow and immobile. I'd bring Lord in for the Essendon game and resting Dixon, giving him an extra long break following the bye.
He did his knee similar time to a Duursma. In the game they mentioned he could have done a PCL, he then missed with a QUAD.

I've got McKenzie down for leaking 4 goals in the first quarter.

If a forward kicks 4 goals in the first quarter like Finlayson, you are on fire.

He didn't drop his head and played well for the rest of the night, no doubt, but with those goals he was just too slow, unathletic and caught behind too often.

TBH I am not sure who McKenzie was minding but I will take another look, Hawkins and Cameron who I would expect Mckenzie and Aliir to be minding only kicked 3 goals between them.
About the only alternatives to McKenzie are Tom Clurey, who is injured and Tom Jonas, who is even slower than Trent McKenzie. The Cannon does well considering he probably concedes 5cm and 8kgs most weeks.

Surprisingly Ryan Burton has exactly the same vital stats but more pace than McKenzie, both players are 191cm and 90kgs.

TBH I am not sure who McKenzie was minding but I will take another look, Hawkins and Cameron who I would expect Mckenzie and Aliir to be minding only kicked 3 goals between them.
About the only alternatives to McKenzie are Tom Clurey, who is injured and Tom Jonas, who is even slower than Trent McKenzie. The Cannon does well considering he probably concedes 5cm and 8kgs most weeks.

Surprisingly Ryan Burton has exactly the same vital stats but more pace than McKenzie, both players are 191cm and 90kgs.
I've thrown my notes out but I am pretty sure it was 3 goals on Rohan and 1 on Cameron.

He is the last dinosaur to hold his place down back and given the coaching staff has dropped Jonas and Burton, it will be interesting to see if they are happy enough with him. I think he has shown he is better than Jonas and Clurey so unless the coaching team swings a guys down back a la Dylan Williams or goes with youth, I think he stays until they have no other choice. The other parts of his game have been very good this year.

And I personally feel it is telling that Bergman played on Cameron for a fair whack of the game especially when he is a perfect matchup on Rohan. Bergman went from 3rd tall defender to KPD on the best forward in the comp.

I'm surprised by some of the criticism of Aliir - he rendered Hawkins a non-factor.

Allir and Bergman’s games have been criminally under rated.

Kept the best combined keys forwards to 3 goals - they average 5.6 a game this season.

Thats not to mention that Stengle was basically absent, so was Rohan after quarter time. Port’s back 6 had a clear win.

Apart from being a better defender than anyone not in the team he also has a kick that can clear a line, something which would be laughable attached to Clurey, Jonas and Aliir.

I've thrown my notes out but I am pretty sure it was 3 goals on Rohan and 1 on Cameron.

He is the last dinosaur to hold his place down back and given the coaching staff has dropped Jonas and Burton, it will be interesting to see if they are happy enough with him. I think he has shown he is better than Jonas and Clurey so unless the coaching team swings a guys down back a la Dylan Williams or goes with youth, I think he stays until they have no other choice. The other parts of his game have been very good this year.

And I personally feel it is telling that Bergman played on Cameron for a fair whack of the game especially when he is a perfect matchup on Rohan. Bergman went from 3rd tall defender to KPD on the best forward in the comp.

I am not really sure about some of these match ups as Bergmann is standing Cameron 7cm and around 10kgs. I guess that works when our midfield dominates and the opposition is starved of opportunities up forward but if Butters and Rozee are kept quiet and the opposition has plenty of the football in their forward line our undersized defence could be in bother. Cannot complain though, things seem to be working out atm.

I am not really sure about some of these match ups as Bergmann is standing Cameron 7cm and around 10kgs. I guess that works when our midfield dominates and the opposition is starved of opportunities up forward but if Butters and Rozee are kept quiet and the opposition has plenty of the football in their forward line our undersized defence could be in bother. Cannot complain though, things seem to be working out atm.
Bergman is the perfect matchup for Cameron because he plays so far up the ground. McKenzie is generally on our last line of defence, we don't want him following Cameron up the ground where Trent's lack of pace is more exposable.

Bergman on the other hand can match him in the air and on the ground since Jez Cameron doesn't use his height/strength much for a kpf, and we have no issues with Bergman following him at stoppages either. If you watched the Geelong Hawks match where he kicked 7 you would have seen him embarrass Sicily by taking him away from goal and running off him at stoppage.

Bergman is the perfect matchup for Cameron because he plays so far up the ground. McKenzie is generally on our last line of defence, we don't want him following Cameron up the ground where Trent's lack of pace is more exposable.

Bergman on the other hand can match him in the air and on the ground since Jez Cameron doesn't use his height/strength much for a kpf, and we have no issues with Bergman following him at stoppages either. If you watched the Geelong Hawks match where he kicked 7 you would have seen him embarrass Sicily by taking him away from goal and running off him at stoppage.

A 186cm key defender makes you wonder why we would chase 198cm Esava Ratogolea. What you post may be perfectly true as regards Jeremy Cameron but is it going to work on every 195+cm key forward? Our defence lacks real height but as I posted I am not complaining as it is working OK atm.

The absolute secret to our defence is that they can all kick the ball and they can all mark the ball. No dodgy kicks or handball merchants, no lumbering Chaplin/Howard like spoilers. We trade off height for skill. And it's working.

The absolute secret to our defence is that they can all kick the ball and they can all mark the ball. No dodgy kicks or handball merchants, no lumbering Chaplin/Howard like spoilers. We trade off height for skill. And it's working.

Hawthorn dynasty defence says hi

Was a sling, making it illegal.
That is just simplistic rubbish mate! The rules are far more complex than just being a "sling" tackle. This statement was added a few years ago: It needs to have "The potential to cause serious injury." So now the designation "Dangerous Tackle" is being used.

Then too, they have the various component gradings. Was there high contact, was it rough play, what is the grading? Low? Medium? High?

That tackle had a spin action, but had none of the above ... Non event.

Dixon looked very sore and uncharacteristically slow and immobile. I'd bring Lord in for the Essendon game and resting Dixon, giving him an extra long break following the bye.

Agree

I’d be tempted to rest him for the suns and blues contests as well

1) the primary objective is to have him fit for September
) have more games into lord in the case Dixon isn’t fit in September

That is just simplistic rubbish mate! The rules are far more complex than just being a "sling" tackle. This statement was added a few years ago: It needs to have "The potential to cause serious injury." So now the designation "Dangerous Tackle" is being used.

Then too, they have the various component gradings. Was there high contact, was it rough play, what is the grading? Low? Medium? High?

That tackle had a spin action, but had none of the above ... Non event.

I don’t agree with your interpretation. It’s one of the exact type of actions the league is trying to eliminate from the game due to the potential to cause serious injury. I think it was worth a free kick but nothing else, only by virtue of the fact Burton or Houston (can’t recall now) wasn’t injured. If there was injury it is a reportable offence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t agree with your interpretation. It’s one of the exact type of actions the league is trying to eliminate from the game due to the potential to cause serious injury. I think it was worth a free kick but nothing else, only by virtue of the fact Burton or Houston (can’t recall now) wasn’t injured. If there was injury it is a reportable offence.
Geez mate! It doesnt matter if you agree or disagree. It is NOT my words or my interpretation!

These are the new phrases that have been inserted into the rules to define an illegal tackle! You cant just say it was a "sling tackle" so he gets suspended. Tackles that "involve driving an opponent into the ground" with the "potential to cause injury" will be reported & sent to the MRO. Then they are graded, Low impact, medium impact, or high impact.

The was NO %$#%& impact in that tackle!

Port Adelaide v Geelong​

9 Dan Houston (PORT)
5 Jeremy Finlayson (PORT)
4 Todd Marshall (PORT)
3 Connor Rozee (PORT)
3 Zak Butters (PORT)
2 Ollie Wines (PORT)
2 Scott Lycett (PORT)
1 Sam Powell-Pepper (PORT)
1 Gary Rohan (GEEL)

A 186cm key defender makes you wonder why we would chase 198cm Esava Ratogolea. What you post may be perfectly true as regards Jeremy Cameron but is it going to work on every 195+cm key forward? Our defence lacks real height but as I posted I am not complaining as it is working OK atm.
Totally agree on that. Esava would be replacing McKenzie, who is critical to our structure as an old undersized and fragile bloke. Great player for us but long term we need an Esava in that role to take those big key forwards.

He's been excellent all season. One poor quarter and suddenly you want to drop him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back