Preview Round 15 – GWS Giants vs Hawthorn, Saturday 30th June 2018, 7.25pm, Spotless Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I certainly do. Has been playing quite well this year, been in the 'bests' a few times, and very mobile. 10 games for 66 marks, 39 tackles & 11 goals - so probably goalscoring is the weakness. I've advocated in the past giving him a go in place of HH because I think he could bring more mobility & pressure. I just don't think we'll bring him in this week for Cameron, given the totality of circumstances.

I think Sproule is in the same boat as Flynn in that it is a year too soon for a debut and he probably lacks a bit of size for an AFL forward at the moment
He has had some time playing through the middle of the ground when the listed player numbers have been down
This year averaging 20 touches 3 inside 50s and 2 rebound 50s
I think the coaches will try to keep as stable team as possible and with that Perryman would be my pick although not like for like the team has enough talls
Not what I want but If the coaches wanted to bring in a tall they may go for keefe to play a roaming role and I am sure most on here would not support this

I think Sproule is in the same boat as Flynn in that it is a year too soon for a debut and he probably lacks a bit of size for an AFL forward at the moment.
I'd probably agree with this, although there are games when I think we could have taken the risk to see how he would go against an AFL side. Third tall is a bit different to first & second (and many teams don't play a true third tall) and HH has had some poor games.

I'd probably agree with this, although there are games when I think we could have taken the risk to see how he would go against an AFL side. Third tall is a bit different to first & second (and many teams don't play a true third tall) and HH has had some poor games.

I still think the team can make finals even with the Cameron suspension but if the team losses to the Hawks it will be very unlikely and you can blame the injuries and the Cameron suspension but I think it comes down to the loss to the Bombers at Spotless and the draw to the Saints which would put the club in a different position. The most missed players have been Greene and Scully (Williams yes but not as influential IMO) and I thought Scully would be almost ready to come back round 15/16 but it looks to still be another 6 weeks which will be season over by then, Greene just makes the team score less by between 2-3 goals a game and also creates opportunities for the other forwards
It will be interesting to see selection over the next few weeks and when some of the players return to senior football, I think all of Flynn, Sproule, Bonar and Daniels could be deserving of a debut over the last few rounds depending on where the club sits
HH has been poor to average all year, he just seems to lack intensity and some smarts on the field which is why I think he will end up as a defender. I have wanted him to be dropped since round 5/6 but I think it is a lack of others who can play that role has meant he has stayed in the team. He still has time this year to turn things around and great if he does and again maybe he is performing his role how the coaches want
Apologies if a bit off topic

Club offering two free tkts ti members. Cant be confident about the crowd. I was hoping for better this time around on a Saturday night.

I'd come out tommorow and announce Sproule to debut, need a good news story and shift the focus away from the past. Lobb was a skinny rake when he debuted and did some good things. If Patton is still required to play ruck minutes for the next month a fwd needs to come in.

I'd come out tommorow and announce Sproule to debut, need a good news story and shift the focus away from the past. Lobb was a skinny rake when he debuted and did some good things. If Patton is still required to play ruck minutes for the next month a fwd needs to come in.
Scares me a bit that they might think Keefe is the answer

Possible but I think they stick to players who have been in and around the team, Tomlinson has the fitness to play a wing forward role along with HH and then Tomlinson to play back up ruck and maybe Patton for some contests in the F50
I think it also depends on who is rucking for the Hawks, Mcevoy has played every game and not the most mobile he would be able to run Simpson around the ground and then depending on if Ceglar gets up for the game or it could be Obrien and Roughhead as backup rucks
I still think the one change would be Perryman in for Cameron

No trackwork.
f63bdc287969ba6f325f12d735f08809.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Possible but I think they stick to players who have been in and around the team, Tomlinson has the fitness to play a wing forward role along with HH and then Tomlinson to play back up ruck and maybe Patton for some contests in the F50
I think it also depends on who is rucking for the Hawks, Mcevoy has played every game and not the most mobile he would be able to run Simpson around the ground and then depending on if Ceglar gets up for the game or it could be Obrien and Roughhead as backup rucks
I still think the one change would be Perryman in for Cameron
I'm very much looking forward to the game. Two good sides and I rarely get to see the Hawks play. Although we drew last year in Launceston I'm sure they'll be aware of their Spotless record, and you'd be mad to think Clarkson wont have a cunning plan for revenge. I'm sorry Burgoyne wont be out there but nevertheless their midfield is different to the one we showed up in 2016, so is ours.

McCevoy is a quiet achiever in my view and I hope Dawson stays in to give him a contest. If he dominates all sorts of possibilities open up for them via Mitchell primarily.
Assuming Dawson stays up our forward structure still has to change without Jezza, but a bit less than if the General has to spend a lot of time in the ruck, and that's a but scary. Cant ser we have much choice but to back The General and Himmelburg in. Possibly a tall back such as Finlayson forward particularly if Tommo has to run with McCevoy in general play. Pity if Sproule isn't ready but I accept the views he probably isn't.
The forward line will look ok if our mids deliver anyway I think. It will look inadequate if they dont.

A midfield with Ward, Coniglio, Hopper, Shiel, Kelly and Taranto at it's core really should be able to get the job done against Mitchell, O'meara, Shiels, Howe and ? (the Hawks seem to rotate players through the midfield more than most, or maybe it's my ignorance of their list). Whether we do it not we'll see.

It's a very important game but there's going to be a lot of them in the run home. My plan is to enjoy the footy and if we're good enough we'll play finals. If we aren't we dont deserve to.

#bringkennersback

Coaches insight on the club website mentioned Bonar and Daniels as possible Cameron replacements, I think the key is to find out where the 3 goals Cameron scores can come from and if it is a resting mid or they bring in a small forward
Griffen has had been hitting the scoreboard so maybe they try and have him spend more time closer to goal and Perryman can spend time in the midfield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Bonar. Starting to play well & had a bunch of clearances last week. At 190 odd cms, if he can tackle, take some grabs, shark some clearances, that'd do. I'd be surprised though, as I think Leon will go with someone more experienced in the circumstances, and that's not all bad. Griffen has been spending a lot of time forward; perhaps Cogs could spend some more time forward (if Perryman comes in) - he was on fire of front early in the year … need to find that form again.

Yep. I can see another Geelong game coming up where we dont play fwds and just kick it to thier defenders all day long.
Hold on

HH and general playing forward is a strong forward line. Going in with three forwards is the exception to the rule, most clubs are playing two, we just go back to two talls

Surprised to have Lobb named. Home he hasn’t been rushed back too soon.

Glad he is back early but just adds to the thought that the club either doesn’t know what it’s doing with injured players or aren’t upfront about them

Wasn't expecting that!

Surprised to have Lobb named. Home he hasn’t been rushed back too soon. Glad he is back early but just adds to the thought that the club either doesn’t know what it’s doing with injured players or aren’t upfront about them.

Similar thought - hope he's actually 100% ready to go. I don't mind if he's played primarily as a tall forward & Simpson mainly rucks; the reality is they'll naturally switch around due to ground positioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back