Preview Round 16 - Friday night lights Swans v Cats, Season defining game SCG, 7:50pm 30th June

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
slight calf tear won't be a week then

The way they worded it is weird. "Calf tightness" didn't sound like a big deal, but a "tear" sounds like a few weeks out at least. And just when it sounded like we were finally over the injury curse. So disappointing.

I have no idea what they're doing with McCartin. Surely if he's fit, he plays? It doesn't make any sense to me.

If Horse does that, he needs to be sacked at quarter time. Last 2 times we have played cats we have been smacked and bullied in the mids. We need our best contested player in there
I am sure Mills will go in but we need Ollie to replace Chad. Mills & Parker will be changing I think as they are now preferring at least 1 runner in the mids. Normally Chad, sometimes Errol or Paps.

I think Ollie to mids is a great move. He is a clever little bugger. I think if Danger does not come up they will stack the mids with speed anyway. That is what they have been doing and d id against Dees.

I am not sure about our backs. At times Francis gave Darling more room than the St Kilda Town hall. If he gives Hawkins that he'll kick 10. We were very lucky the ball did not go down there too often. But at other times Francis was good. It was as thought he had Alzheimer's 'Oh yeah I was supposed to be on him' lol

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

If a poster has already said of another poster that they're "not interested in anything they have to say", the mature thing to do is put them on Ignore, not post snarky barbs.

Bedford would just see himself then

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Calling it now. Fox to take Florent's place in the back-line. Florent to take Warner's place in the mids.

(Hope I'm wrong - would rather have Mills in there.)
Mills will be in there. He was in there when Warner was there. We have finally gotten the mids right by playing at least 6 players through there. Parker heads one group and Mills the other. This week Rowie, Ollie, Paps, Errol, Sheldrick will also run through there but both Paps & Errol will only be in the small time periods, giving the others a rest.

When’s the last time we had a late strategic/funny buggers in. If McCartin was fit enough he’d be in the 22. Florent is not replacing Warner either. Fanciful. He’s played bugger all mids anll year and has likely not trained there either. Mills, Parker, Gulden, Papley, Rowbottom will share centre bounces.

Hayward will get zero stats but will play on Stewart.

Last edited:
Umpires
Mathew Nicholls (15), Jamie Broadbent (20), Craig Fleer (26), Andre Gianfagna (27)
We have no hope. Three Swans haters. Gianfagna was the prick that would not give us a free. The one that kept giving us 5O metres for minor infringements. Nichols and Fleer are always horrible.

I liked paps & heeney setting it up for others last week. They trusted their teammates to kick goals, rather than just relying upon themselves which showed some chemistry & cohesion in the front half. I hope it continues as it'll help make our forward line unpredictable which is more dangerous than relying on 1 or 2 main goal kickers imo.

So the mid rotations since bye have featured: Heeney, Parker, Rowbottom, Warner, Gulden, Mills, Papley, Sheldrick. If you were to break it down into levels of midfield gametime. I would say:
1st - Parker/Rowbottom
2nd - Mills/Warner
3rd - Gulden/Sheldrick
4th - Heeney/Papley

I can see Heeney getting more midfield gametime this week, as we've used him in the midfield against bigger/stronger mids. I can also see Sheldrick fluctuating with his actual midfield gametime but that's a pretty deep & versatile midfield group moving forward imo.

With Warner out, I hope we tighten our mids rotation rather than add anyone else into it. Hopefully see Heeney/Sheldrick take Warners mids mins. Personally would try Heeney first so we don't get spooked early with Cats mids physicality then bring in the others.

From the VFL team announcement:

Tom McCartin will play VFL for Sydney for the second straight week on the comeback trail from his concussion issues, failing to win his spot back in an AFL team coming off a 171-point annihilation of West Coast.

The Swans take on Geelong in a curtain raiser to the AFL clash at the SCG on Friday night, with Ryan Clarke also named to play in the early game

Well thats annoying needed our best team to give it a shake imo
I see the Warner out a little differently.

He's absolutely best 22 and the dropping talk in recent weeks has been madness IMO.

The last two times we have played Geelong the midfield has been geared predominantly around faster, more explosive clearances, not so much contested strength.

In the GF we had Parker playing a heavily defensive role on Dangerfield (criticise it now all you like, but he did a number on De Goey the week before.)

In round 6 we had Rowbottom playing a heavily defensive role on Dangerfield (ok that one was never going to work.)

On both occasions we had Warner & Papley as the two most-used mids outside of whoever that defensive player was, and in both games we got absolutely smashed in the contest.

My hope going into this game was that Warner was never going to be a big factor in terms of the midfield for us, because I hoped we focused more on the contested side of our game. We need big games from Parker, Rowbottom, Mills & to a lesser extent Sheldrick, more so than we need big games from Warner, Papley or Gulden.

I hope Warner's back ASAP but I also hope that his out will force Horse's hand into going more for hardness and contested strength in the midfield than worrying too much about speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back