Autopsy Round 18, 2014 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast Suns Autopsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Random thoughts:

Great first quarter, then...meh.

But whatever, when we were a very good side in 99 that's how we won most games. And far out it's good to have a comfortable stress free win. First one of those since GWS last year, and for obvious reasons that was a bittersweet evening.

Hanley and Martin I thought were just fantastic. Hanley for obvious reasons, but Martin's utterly dominant ruckwork just set us up repeatedly, and he made himself very useful around the ground. I know it's easier against second string ruckmen, but a lot of sport is about exploiting your advantages and he did it in spades.

Zorko, Green and Taylor all did what they did best, making a nuisance of themselves in the forwardline. It must be frustrating for opposition coaches to try and plan how to limit them. It's a shame we have so few genuine attacking weapons to really complement them.

Bewick also had one of his better games of late. On face value it seems very risky to run him against Bennell but he beat him comfortably. Incredible that Bennell had to go into defence to get away from him. Then in the 3rd quarter it looked like Bewick was moved off him and he started to have a real impact in an attacking sense. A very impressive showing.

Also some good signs from McStay, Crisp and Close, albeit only occasionally.

Our most comfortable win, but in my opinion not our best performance this year

Apart from the obvious players, I really liked Aish's game tonight. Had some really classy moments. Clark was also very good.

Im a little worried about Mayes. He is kinda half having second year blues. .. or am I being too harsh

I'd like to see McStay get a full game forward next week. Maybe even playing the Staker role we've been missing and pushing up to the wings.

Apart from the obvious players, I really liked Aish's game tonight. Had some really classy moments. Clark was also very good.

Im a little worried about Mayes. He is kinda half having second year blues. .. or am I being too harsh

Mayes was having close to his best game of the season until he got concussed in the third I thought. At least his best game since being moved from the forward line.

Random thoughts:

Great first quarter, then...meh.

But whatever, when we were a very good side in 99 that's how we won most games. And far out it's good to have a comfortable stress free win. First one of those since GWS last year, and for obvious reasons that was a bittersweet evening.

Hanley and Martin I thought were just fantastic. Hanley for obvious reasons, but Martin's utterly dominant ruckwork just set us up repeatedly, and he made himself very useful around the ground. I know it's easier against second string ruckmen, but a lot of sport is about exploiting your advantages and he did it in spades.

Zorko, Green and Taylor all did what they did best, making a nuisance of themselves in the forwardline. It must be frustrating for opposition coaches to try and plan how to limit them. It's a shame we have so few genuine attacking weapons to really complement them.

Bewick also had one of his better games of late. On face value it seems very risky to run him against Bennell but he beat him comfortably. Incredible that Bennell had to go into defence to get away from him. Then in the 3rd quarter it looked like Bewick was moved off him and he started to have a real impact in an attacking sense. A very impressive showing.

Also some good signs from McStay, Crisp and Close, albeit only occasionally.

Our most comfortable win, but in my opinion not our best performance this year
So you didn't rate Rockys 46 possessions?

Interesting. ... why

I think we need to play three tall forwards for a better structure so we always have 1 tall inside 50 and don't have to kick to Green or Ash in a marking contest which is something that really frustrates me. We are also too tall in defence and miss a tall target on the wing.

mayes was great until he copped the head knock

More importantly, where is the Suns' board at?

tigernova backpedalling at warp speed.

His latest thread had me in tears. One of the most brilliantly unintentional self-trollers on BigFooty.

Last edited:
So you didn't rate Rockys 46 possessions?

Honestly, not as much as I rated Martin and Hanley's game.

I really didn't think he had all that much impact for all his disposals. It felt like Hanley and Martin were involved in a lot more really damaging passages of play.

tigernova backpedalling at warp speed.

His latest thread had me in tears.

missing_missy2.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives...
  • All you could do in the first quarter was sit back and laugh. Surreal stuff. However, as good as the Lions were, there hasn't been a performance so inept in a long, long time.
  • Hanley, one of the great games in Lions' colours. Superb. It staggers me to think no GC player went near him. Abysmal coaching and leadership from the Suns.
  • Martin. Nothing more needs to be said. Best ruckman in the game atm
  • Crisp. It's nights like these that give me confidence in our depth. Slotted in seamlessly and was one of our best. Hopefully gets a good crack at it to finish the year. Good game
  • Rockliff. I think we understate how fit he is. Remarkable endurance for a guy who came to the club looking like Puff 'n Fresh
  • Close. Wasnt a night for tall forwards but he was impressive. As pointed out in the coverage the ball drop needs work, but he's certainly making the right noises
  • A great crowd. 27k in QLD for the 17th ranked team's home game. Big tick
  • Green is elite. Sensational small forward. Doesn't have the marking capabilities to be talked about like Betts, Wingard, Elliot and Breust but he is a brilliant, legitimate small forward.
  • Zorko as well. His acceleration from the contest is marvelous. How good is it to see him bursting away from congestion? Obviously lacks a bit of polish but wow our midfield is looking dangerous
  • Goose. What a goal! You can't help but smile. I think he tried to pull the Matty Lloyd for anyone who has seen the Locker Talk on goal celebrations. But in all seriousness he is a true asset to our side. Really hope he goes around again because I, and dare I say all Lions' fans, love watching him play
  • Aish. Ahem Rising Star panel
  • And Bewick's job on Bennell. I still prefer him in that wingman's role ala against the Dogs but he's certainly adding a valuable string to his bow.
Negatives...
  • Faded after q1 but that was to be expected.
  • Clarke's howlers at the back. I used to tense up watching him in possession, however this season he's definitely proven himself capable. Tonight, in unfriendly conditions, was a step back. Needs to be better. Did have a good day against the likes of Day and Lynch though
  • Harsh but, like the team, Taylor faded drastically. Started the game red hot, but drifted out considerably. The only draftee, mind you coming off no pre-season whatsoever, to not have a break this year.

Should the suns look at trading a young gun mid to a struggling side for a more experienced midfielder?

Something like trading O'Meara or Swallow to the Bulldogs for Griffen.

Give them a better chance of success in the next 2-3 years and give a rebuilding side a talented mid for when they start climbing the ladder.

Stef Martin's work rate tonight was unbelievable, particularly in the 4th QTR, gut running through the middle of the ground to make space late in the game for a big man is nothing short of outstanding.

Have to agree with an earlier post, Luey is to good to leave out, but I would be very hesitant to take Martin off the ball, his second efforts continue to amaze me and he is still improving.

Hanley and Rocky's games were also outstanding.

Our first year players continue to improve, just love watching Darcy Gardiner.

And how can I not mention the ever reliable Patfull down back.

The whole team were good tonight, as for next week, Papps had a blinder in the reserves, 30+ with 3 goals, he will be hard to keep out, damn if I know who he will replace.

Crisp was very good tonight also

Just a little thing but calling the review thread an "autopsy" after a win like that doesn't feel quite right.

Think of it as a reference to the Suns' finals campaign.

Have to agree with an earlier post, Luey is to good to leave out, but I would be very hesitant to take Martin off the ball, his second efforts continue to amaze me and he is still improving.

The last few games might be a good chance to figure out how they can work together.

Should the suns look at trading a young gun mid to a struggling side for a more experienced midfielder?

Something like trading O'Meara or Swallow to the Bulldogs for Griffen.

Give them a better chance of success in the next 2-3 years and give a rebuilding side a talented mid for when they start climbing the ladder.
Who cares

Think of it as a reference to the Suns' finals campaign.

And it's for that reason that this is the most memorable Q-Clash yet. A new chapter in the rivalry was written tonight.

Weevil and Bob were taking the piss out of me at the game for how much I was relishing and cackling at the suffering of the Plastics but I don't give a s**t. :D

Real success is earned and enhanced through struggle and suffering and making the Suns wait a little bit longer to taste success was a worthy goal. They can thank us later.

Just wondering what people's thoughts were. It's very interesting for me to see how the expansion clubs go.
Yeah ok.... in that case I think they'd be mad to do that. Their guys will get better and better. Whether or not Bluey will be around to see it is another matter.

winning.gif

Take that "Gold Coast"(come on, it's not even a real place).

I don't care if it's 1 point or 100, any win is a great win right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back