Preview Round 18 - Essendon Bombers vs Geelong Cats - Saturday, July 15th - 7:25 pm - GMHBA Stadium

Did anyone notice I kept forgetting to add a poll?

• No, because polls are stupid

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Yes, we love the polls. Polls for everyone

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Hobbs reminds me to Selwood, but with a bit more forward nous.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Tomahawk has the best nickname in the AFL.

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • No to Fantasia. We need to look forward not backward. Upward, not forward.

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards victory.

Votes: 23 41.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
CHANGES SINCE LAST TIME:

ESSENDON OUTS: Draper, Shiel, Setterfield, Hind, D'Ambrosio, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Phillips
ESSENDON INS: Bryan, Guelfi, Wright, Laverde, Heppell, Menzie

GEELONG OUTS: Knevitt, Bews, Simpson, Ratugolea
GEELONG INS: Stengle, Stanley, J. Henry

Even after that first quarter/half

Its something Scott may do but even Zerk did ok on Dixon and then as soon as Lav was back in the fold he took Dixon and took him to the cleaners

Will be brave if he does go that way
Of course. See if he’s learnt anything. Would’ve watched a ton of vision of the errors he made, now to see If he can put his learnings into action.

The thing is with Hawkins that there isn't a player in the comp that can get into the wrestle with him consistently and win the matchup.

The guys that have historically played well against him start 1-2m off and time their spoil. In that circumstance Hawkins has had troubles looking for initial contact and losing position or losing track of the ball.
Also the ball needs to have pressure on it to allow it to be scrubby and not always to Hawkins' advantage.

So if Zerk does get first crack, I imagine he will play him like he did Tex in the 2nd half. Being give him a 1-2m leg rope and time his spoils, and hope like hell our midfield is winning the contested possession battle.

Im betting on Lav based on Dixon a few weeks ago but they have 3 taller options that Zerk is more suited to rather than a Jezza/Rohan necessarily
The key with our matchups on all the forwards is really midfield pressure. If we let Danger take it out of clearances with minimal pressure it’s gonna be a long night. Perkins/Hobbs/Caldwell to blunt him will be key in us stemming the bleeding

The thing is with Hawkins that there isn't a player in the comp that can get into the wrestle with him consistently and win the matchup.

The guys that have historically played well against him start 1-2m off and time their spoil. In that circumstance Hawkins has had troubles looking for initial contact and losing position or losing track of the ball.
Also the ball needs to have pressure on it to allow it to be scrubby and not always to Hawkins' advantage.

So if Zerk does get first crack, I imagine he will play him like he did Tex in the 2nd half. Being give him a 1-2m leg rope and time his spoils, and hope like hell our midfield is winning the contested possession battle.

Aside from a player built like Hooker there really isn't many KPDs that can stand and wrestle with Hawkins, if you're doing that you've already lost.

Ridley (I think it was him anyway) did better on Hawkins last time we played specifically because he avoided the wrestle. BZT is pretty good at coming in with a spoil, so if he plays that way he's a fair chance on doing well against Hawkins. And most importantly as always is the midfield not hanging defenders out to dry by allowing unpressured delivery so Hawkins (or Cameron) get to time their leads nicely to advantage.

Aside from a player built like Hooker there really isn't many KPDs that can stand and wrestle with Hawkins, if you're doing that you've already lost.

Ridley (I think it was him anyway) did better on Hawkins last time we played specifically because he avoided the wrestle. BZT is pretty good at coming in with a spoil, so if he plays that way he's a fair chance on doing well against Hawkins. And most importantly as always is the midfield not hanging defenders out to dry by allowing unpressured delivery so Hawkins (or Cameron) get to time their leads nicely to advantage.
The ball use to Hawkins in the first half last was lace out. Wouldn’t have mattered how you played him he was going to be marking it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep was going to say, I distinctly remember Hooker taking Hawk to the cleaners on at least a couple of occasions. Slow as treacle but he had the strength to match him in a wrestle

The main issue last time wasn't so much how many times it went in, it was the speed and ease that it went in, defenders didn't have a hope.

If we can slow their midfield down and make it harder for them to get it in there our defenders will have a chance.

Sure. But they have a good midfield also. It's going to get down their end plenty. I don't see how we stop him. Especially with Cameron coming in too.
Yeah but their midfield walked it out of the front of stoppages with zero pressure last time. Sure he'll get his chances but it's about limiting the quality of them.

Yeah but their midfield walked it out of the front of stoppages with zero pressure last time. Sure he'll get his chances but it's about limiting the quality of them.
I think we where also simply too bad to be true as well plus the coach had the wrong combination in that first quarter. We did not use Setterfield in the middle until it was too late that day. Not really sure their midfield is as strong as it was. Danger is banged up and even though Sellwood was past his best they have struggled to replace his toughness at the contest or the strength of Cam Guthrie. I would be confident our current mix can handle the pressure this time around.

Wouldn't even be the biggest upset at the stadium this season

Ah - the season is ridiculously tight, but it’s Essendon (5th) vs Geelong (8th). Not sure that’s “upset of the season” material haha
In terms of we've been getting smashed by them lately and that's at the G. Let alone at Kardinia Park. Get a win there is for me the upset of the season.

Any guess on who might be sub?

For me I would like to see what Hind can give. He was really good when he was sub last time, kicked 2 goals from memory.

Any guess on who might be sub?

For me I would like to see what Hind can give. He was really good when he was sub last time, kicked 2 goals from memory.
Cox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back