Preview Round 18 Preview: Sydney Swans vs Hawks (Combined match talk and banter thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weather update? Thread needs more fear of the rain.

TAB Odds changed overnight.
Hawks down from 2.10 to 1.80
our up from 1.72 to 1.90
What's happened last night? Late withdraw again?

It doesn't take much money in reality to sway the odds. Also it simply may be that the bookies/TAB have not had any money come for the Swans anyway so to balance the books they change the prices a bit. You have to remember bookies are not trying to pick a winner but rather create a book of bets so whatever side wins they don't lose.

As a punter 2.10 was pretty good for the tassie campaigners. Game is pretty close to even money given it is in Melbourne. Odds are about right at 1.90 each of two in my opinion

Yeah. Speaking from personal experience you'll still be feeling that ankle on cold winter mornings for years to come. It won't be painful, but you'll just be aware of it.

Don't know how these AFL players can walk when they finish their careers tbh.
You have just hit upon professional sport's dirty little secret.

Last edited:
So what's everyone's thoughts on Towers getting another run ahead of Jack?

He moves well for a guy his size but he seemed pretty nervy and overawed against the blues, not sure how throwing him back in the mix against Hawthorn at G in front of 60k+ fans is going to be any easier on him.

Happy to give Towers another chance but he wouldn't want to put in a similar performance. Looked very nervous and missed a sitter. Big test for him this week. Not sure whether to make him a sub. I fear we are going in too tall but I guess that is one area we can expose the Hawks' backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He moves well for a guy his size but he seemed pretty nervy and overawed against the blues, not sure how throwing him back in the mix against Hawthorn at G in front of 60k+ fans is going to be any easier on him.

Might of been seen as the better tagging option out of himself and B.Jack for the Hill, Breust, I. Smith match ups.

But that would make no sense if he is to be the sub which is the most likely option in the team I can see, so who knows really

I reckon you are right which makes the retention of Towers and dropping of BJ a bit mystfying to me. Seems BJ never gets a chance to settle.

Agree with Towers being the logical sub though which means Towers will have little chance to play.

Not so important I guess as if Hanners or Mitchell were fit they are automatics anyway and if Shaw or Jones were ok they would come in first as well over Towers.

Well that's my guess anyway.

My impression was that with Brandon Jack so regularly the sub, he was in need of a full game or two, in the coaches' eyes. So send him to the NEAFL for a couple of weeks to play some full games in preparation for the last month of the year and play Towers as the sub this week. He'll be out next week with Rhyce Shaw likely returning.

My impression was that with Brandon Jack so regularly the sub, he was in need of a full game or two, in the coaches' eyes. So send him to the NEAFL for a couple of weeks to play some full games in preparation for the last month of the year and play Towers as the sub this week. He'll be out next week with Rhyce Shaw likely returning.

Couldn't of said it better myself, Brandon Jack is in some need of some proper gametime.

The coaches probably feel that BJ needs some solid gametime in the two's, has been sub for a number of weeks now.

I think Towers is being pretty harshly judged. Didn't set the world on fire, but did quite a few good things. Not necessarily with the ball, but ran to the right place to open space, shepherd and keep his man occupied.

BJ seems a good type, but i don't think he does much more than towers did. For a more contested style team (e.g. demons, crows, freo) i'd go with BJ. For a team like Hawks, i think Towers has more run and is taller, so will give a better contest. Seems a better fit for the Hawks than BJ.

Maybe they feel BJ is too up and down and up and down yet never explodes

Yeah, but the problem is that BJ never gets enough time, always just chucked in towards the end when the result is beyond doubt. Sometimes BJ just has to come in for a bit longer to make a real impact and impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back