Autopsy Round 2 – Collingwood vs GWS Giants, Saturday 31st March 2018, MCG, 4.35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
The rain held off, we got the four points, some handy percentage, and best of all, NO INJURIES.:D

Forget the first quarter. The rest of the game was like a glorified training run, with almost no pressure. I don’t know what’s happened to the Bulldogs, but anyway, that’s their problem.

Now for Collingwood at the MCG.

This is probably the best chance we’ve had to beat the Magpies in Melbourne since joining the competition. We’ve only beaten them once anyway, and that was by just 3 points at Spotless last year.

Having lost to the Hawks last night in such lacklustre fashion, they’ll be under enormous pressure to lift their game this week. They had a shocking run with pre-season injuries, and looking at their board, there seems to be lots of confusion as to what changes can be made that will make any difference.

Intriguingly, there are three ex-Giants on their list – Adams, Treloar and Hoskin-Elliott. Treloar was leading possession winner against Hawthorn; Adams and Hoskin-Elliott didn’t do much. Perhaps they might fire up at the prospect of facing their old team. But I think we’ve all moved on.

As for us, I don’t think there’ll be too many changes. Leon was pretty relaxed in the presser. A special mention to Jeremy Finlayson, who was one of our best players in only his second game for the club. And I can’t even remember the last time I read a post-match “Medical Room” report that said “The Giants got through the game unscathed”. But while there are grounds for optimism, it’s important to remember today was a soft win. Collingwood have always matched up well against us.

However, I think this is a bit more than an opportunity to defeat Collingwood.

To be blunt, if we’re serious about being contenders this season, we have to do something about our abysmal record at the MCG. We’ve only won once at the home of football in a dozen attempts, and even that was four years ago.

Yes, we don’t play there very often – at present, it’s only twice a season. All the more reason to develop a “must-win” mentality every opportunity we get.

I’m heading down for this game, and while I’m confident of a win, I’m not going to be over-confident. We’ll probably get up by about 5 goals.

C’mon, Victorian Giants, let’s make sure we're all at the MCG on Saturday, and make a big, big sound.:megaphone::megaphone::megaphone:

Giants by 30.

The rain held off, we got the four points, some handy percentage, and best of all, NO INJURIES.:D

Forget the first quarter. The rest of the game was like a glorified training run, with almost no pressure. I don’t know what’s happened to the Bulldogs, but anyway, that’s their problem.

Now for Collingwood at the MCG.

This is probably the best chance we’ve had to beat the Magpies in Melbourne since joining the competition. We’ve only beaten them once anyway, and that was by just 3 points at Spotless last year.

Having lost to the Hawks last night in such lacklustre fashion, they’ll be under enormous pressure to lift their game this week. They had a shocking run with pre-season injuries, and looking at their board, there seems to be lots of confusion as to what changes can be made that will make any difference.

Intriguingly, there are three ex-Giants on their list – Adams, Treloar and Hoskin-Elliott. Treloar was leading possession winner against Hawthorn; Adams and Hoskin-Elliott didn’t do much. Perhaps they might fire up at the prospect of facing their old team. But I think we’ve all moved on.

As for us, I don’t think there’ll be too many changes. Leon was pretty relaxed in the presser. A special mention to Jeremy Finlayson, who was one of our best players in only his second game for the club. And I can’t even remember the last time I read a post-match “Medical Room” report that said “The Giants got through the game unscathed”. But while there are grounds for optimism, it’s important to remember today was a soft win. Collingwood have always matched up well against us.

However, I think this is a bit more than an opportunity to defeat Collingwood.

To be blunt, if we’re serious about being contenders this season, we have to do something about our abysmal record at the MCG. We’ve only won once at the home of football in a dozen attempts, and even that was four years ago.

Yes, we don’t play there very often – at present, it’s only twice a season. All the more reason to develop a “must-win” mentality every opportunity we get.

I’m heading down for this game, and while I’m confident of a win, I’m not going to be over-confident. We’ll probably get up by about 5 goals.

C’mon, Victorian Giants, let’s make sure we're all at the MCG on Saturday, and make a big, big sound.:megaphone::megaphone::megaphone:

Giants by 30.
Great writeup.

Only change I can see is if Scull is ready and then he comes in.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

:thumbsu:
If Scully is fit, though, I'd expect him to come in. Reid or Langdon probably the options; but no real pressure to change out anyone.
As you say, LotG, we must be ruthless in playing well at the G, so a solid win against Collingwood is a must. We should do it - if we want to contend in 2018 we will do it.

:thumbsu:
If Scully is fit, though, I'd expect him to come in. Reid or Langdon probably the options; but no real pressure to change out anyone.
As you say, LotG, we must be ruthless in playing well at the G, so a solid win against Collingwood is a must. We should do it - if we want to contend in 2018 we will do it.

I'd say Reid #1, Lloyd #2. Langdon is a point of difference that the others don't bring.

Saturday twilight game so interesting to see how many are in the crowd and hopefully a dry ground as well
They started last year with 2 losses and I am sure they will put in a better performance than last night but I am now starting to agree with the 'Buckley can't coach' movement
Moore as a defender and Cox as the main target up forward will not win a premiership and the injury list they have will put too many deficient players (from not being developed properly) on the park
Scully to come back in and not sure who is left off the team sheet it could be a tall or depending on how Deledio pulls up and also the issue he had with his eye
I think the club will take a cautious approach with Hopper I can see him having a couple of games over the NEAFL preseason to build up his fitness and the other name that could debut in the first few rounds is Bonar. Both mentioned in the bests along with Cumming, Simpson and Mohr
With Hopper i can see him as a possible swap with Reid if the club think he is ready for AFL

Last edited:
It will be a good midfield match up for both teams who are stacked in that area of the ground. Interestingly treloar was leading possession winner for them but went at almost 40% efficiency! That hurts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be a good midfield match up for both teams who are stacked in that area of the ground. Interestingly treloar was leading possession winner for them but went at almost 40% efficiency! That hurts
This should be a test that to prove we don't go in with a complacent attitude. We should win easily, I think we showed we are mature enough now to win a flag, have benefited from Stevie j and mummy but don't need them now, and as such I feel we are stronger than the last 2 years.

Also heading down.
Giants must win each of the MCG season games, Collingwood & Melbourne, to have any chance against finals teams who play so well with home ground crowd advantage. (Richmond etc)

Shall we arrange a pre match function at around 13:00-13:30 for all those coming down?

Hmmm, always accept Raymann's inside word. Just thought that Lloyd had been thoroughly pumped throughout the off season and would figure above Sam Reid & Zac Langdon. Thought he was OK against Bulldogs without being great; more tackles than both Sam & Zac, double Zac's possessions. Not as quick as Zac though, as not as flexible as Sam?

I'm still in the 'no need to rush them back if they're not 100% fit' camp, but of course, both Hopper & Scully are a level above and will improve us when they do return so we won't drag out any return.

Hmmm, always accept Raymann's inside word. Just thought that Lloyd had been thoroughly pumped throughout the off season and would figure above Sam Reid & Zac Langdon. Thought he was OK against Bulldogs without being great; more tackles than both Sam & Zac, double Zac's possessions. Not as quick as Zac though, as not as flexible as Sam?

I'm still in the 'no need to rush them back if they're not 100% fit' camp, but of course, both Hopper & Scully are a level above and will improve us when they do return so we won't drag out any return.
More gut feel than inside info. Sculls is likely to play as a high HFF when he returns

High HFF is OK if he returns from a knee problem - no need to run him into the ground straight away - so I guess that Lloyd probably fits in that case. We'll see what transpires in 72 hours!

With Cox suspended and Smith out, Bucks might have to make some team selections that help rather than hinder the Pies (drats!). That might see Darcy Moore go forward again, and allow a new KPD; perhaps Fasolo (if fit) or Mayne, Blair or Broomhead up forward in place of Smith. Not sure they'll make too many changes - Bucks doesn't want to be seen to have erred in previous selections (normally). We should still match up pretty well on any Pies selections with our team; just hope that they don't get too much of a 'do it for Bucks attitude'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back