Preview Round 2: Sydney vs Essendon, SCG, Saturday 23/03/24 @ 7:30 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
same as many here are saying

Out: Reid, Redman, Jones,
In: Laverde, Hobbs, Draper,

Have to replace like for like. Laverde is a decent 7th defender. Kelly can move back to cover Redman’s injury or we try Hobbs there. Draper for Jones the front half change.

Lack up kicking out of back half an issue but don’t think they’d want to risk hind there.

Tsatas played well enough to start and Guelfi was also pretty good so Menzie as Sub.
I'd drop Heppell for Laverde, but that won't happen.
If Redman goes I'd bring Hind in. We need quick rebound on the smaller ground that we don't get with Laverde. Hind doesn't bomb his kicks.
Hobbs in.
Draper in.

It encapsulated and confirmed all perceived Sydney biases, that may or may not have been justified, in one ridiculous instant.

Anyone remember who the umpire was?
Andre Gianfagna. Ran over and said "Down, down" instead of doing the right thing in giving a 50m penalty and letting Myers have a shot straight in front in the square which would have won us the game.

Out: Reid, Jones, Redman
In: Laverde, Draper, Hind

Need to replace defender for defender, hence Hind

years earlier, the most text book "in the back" not paid to Stanton in the goal square, dying seconds.
I'd also add Rohan rag dolling Gleeson on the line.

Things just seem to go their way for these things. The Dempsey play-on after the siren from about 52m.

We had 1 game, I think it might've been '07, where everything went our way for a change up there that culminated in a 1-point win.

Most people remember the McPhee being about a metre out of bounds about 60m out, late in the game - goes on to kick it to McVeigh who kicks an incredible snap goal from the pocket.
But from the same game...
  • We were 2 up with genuinely about 20-25secs left. Schneider or Buchanan or one of those types, kicked a snap that landed dead-middle of the goal square about 3m out and bounced at right angles to hit the post.
  • 3/4 time siren. We had a kick from long range that landed about 5m out. Good ol' Spida Everitt punched it through for a point for us. Went on to win by 1.

Was either the week before or week after the famous Richo "Push in the back + 50m" at dreamtime.

Good times.

Things just seem to go their way for these things. The Dempsey play-on after the siren from about 52m.

We had 1 game, I think it might've been '07, where everything went our way for a change up there that culminated in a 1-point win.

Most people remember the McPhee being about a metre out of bounds about 60m out, late in the game - goes on to kick it to McVeigh who kicks an incredible snap goal from the pocket.
But from the same game...
  • We were 2 up with genuinely about 20-25secs left. Schneider or Buchanan or one of those types, kicked a snap that landed dead-middle of the goal square about 3m out and bounced at right angles to hit the post.
  • 3/4 time siren. We had a kick from long range that landed about 5m out. Good ol' Spida Everitt punched it through for a point for us. Went on to win by 1.

Was either the week before or week after the famous Richo "Push in the back + 50m" at dreamtime.

Good times.
Dempsey played on just before the siren

I will never forget the game where a Sydney player got a Sydney player high and Sydney got the free kick.

And that situation where the mic caught someone mentioning the free kick count (which was slightly in favour of Essendon) and then Essendon proceeded to get next to no free kicks for the rest of the game to Sydney's millions. And the umpire that was booed after going down on the field and then in the next game vs Sydney, blowed the whistle to pay a free inside Sydney's forward 50 and he couldn't explain what it was for, so another ump intervened and they balled the ball up.

Sydney vs Essendon is comfortably the strangest and most infuriating match up in the competition. I'm preparing myself for another meltdown.

Out: Reid, Jones, Redman
In: Laverde, Draper, Hind

Need to replace defender for defender, hence Hind
Obviously don’t want to unsettle the side with too many changes but Menzie still isn’t offering what we need and Hobbs is waiting in the wings. Otherwise I agree with those changes.

I will never forget the game where a Sydney player got a Sydney player high and Sydney got the free kick.

And that situation where the mic caught someone mentioning the free kick count (which was slightly in favour of Essendon) and then Essendon proceeded to get next to no free kicks for the rest of the game to Sydney's millions. And the umpire that was booed after going down on the field and then in the next game vs Sydney, blowed the whistle to pay a free inside Sydney's forward 50 and he couldn't explain what it was for, so another ump intervened and they balled the ball up.

Sydney vs Essendon is comfortably the strangest and most infuriating match up in the competition. I'm preparing myself for another meltdown.

This was me to the TV when that happened, mind blowing stuff. Pretty sure it was Mumford getting J McVeigh high.

Bill Hader Omg GIF by Saturday Night Live

Obviously don’t want to unsettle the side with too many changes but Menzie still isn’t offering what we need and Hobbs is waiting in the wings. Otherwise I agree with those changes.

I’d be dropping Caldwell before Menzie, especially if for Hobbs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

years earlier, the most text book "in the back" not paid to Stanton in the goal square, dying seconds.
I'd also add Rohan rag dolling Gleeson on the line.
Francis deliberate out of bounds, diving to punch a ball away defending Buddy.

I’d be dropping Caldwell before Menzie, especially if for Hobbs.
No way josè.

Caldwell was in beast mode at times on Saturday. A magnificent run down tackle, the clearance that set Perkins free to enable Gresham’s match sealing goal, a great goal on the run from 50+.

I’m still not seeing the benefit of Menzie in our team. He’s yet to show me he’s a match turning goal kicker, or a pressure forward. He’s half-way between being either. He’s not useless but he’s very much expendable when we have players pushing for selection.

Hobbs v caldwell a tough one for me. Caldwell did some massive things but was very anonymous throughout the game.
Maybe gets a reprieve but plays close to goal for menzie?

Jones to draper is a no brainer.

In: draper, hobbs, parish
Out: reid (inj 😞), menzie, jones

Heppell - mckay - mcgrath
Redman Jones - cox - martin
merrett - setterfield - duursma
Langford - wright - gresham
Caldwell - draper - stringer
Goldy - parish - perkins
Durham - tsatas - hobbs - guelfi
Kelly (or lav)
sigh @ Redman

keep Jones in and play him back in that role i guess.

Any word if Parish plays this week?

No way josè.

Caldwell was in beast mode at times on Saturday. A magnificent run down tackle, the clearance that set Perkins free to enable Gresham’s match sealing goal, a great goal on the run from 50+.

I’m still not seeing the benefit of Menzie in our team. He’s yet to show me he’s a match turning goal kicker, or a pressure forward. He’s half-way between being either. He’s not useless but he’s very much expendable when we have players pushing for selection.
Im wonderring if Caldwell spends more time fwd as a pressure player (McCreery type)
Went missing a lot against the hawks, but did pop up and did some big things to help win the game.

No way josè.

The goal and tackle were fantastic, but he was really poor the rest of the game. First half especially. Contuing over from the end of last year and through the preseason.

I’d rather see Hobbs in the middle, keep Menzie up forward and Caldwell in the VFL for a few games.

In: Draper, Parish, Hobbs, Laverde

Out: H.Jones, Kelly, Menzie, Z.Reid

Mckay, Laverde, Cox, Redman, Mcgrath, Martin, Heppell

Draper, 2MP, Langford, Stringer, Gresham, Caldwell, Guelfi

Duursma, Durham, Setterfield

Goldy, Parish, Zerrett, Perkins, Hobbs

Sub: Hind

Perkins to Heeney

Durham to Gulden

Both tags

Lets not get carried away, we kicked accurately
Warner?

When I look at the team, there is class on every line. Genuine match winners that break games open. Strong defence, well balanced forward line and good mix of attacking and defensive mids. Yep, it's a great Swans team. Dons look stuffed.

Everyone just needs to accept that the AFL think it's good for football for Sydney to beat us up there each year.

i mean if a guy can literally climb a goal post and you clear it as OK than you may as well rubber stamp an official Essendon must lose at the SCG order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back