Review Round 20, 2023 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Both Miller & Zorks have history however Millers reputation as a "good bloke" stays intact while Zorko's reputation often just gets slandered regardless just as it is in this case. If someone in any other workplace applied a squirrel grip on another person, all hell would break loose. It wasn't a mistake..it was a deliberate act. Miller (who i rate as a very good footballer) has history with acts that aren't in the spirit of the game. After the game on Sautrday night, Lachie Neale's neck and upper body was scratched in a way I have never seen done before in a football match. He had skin missing all over his upper body.
Miller's game style reminds me of Tony Liberatore. A very good footballer but is also very very good at taking away opposition players focus on the game with some not so credible tactics.
When I played footy , the ref used to check our finger nails sometimes , they had to be short as to protect players eyes.
Is this still a common thought before players take the field or at least expected.
I guess you could still scratch someone even with short nails .

Both Miller & Zorks have history however Millers reputation as a "good bloke" stays intact while Zorko's reputation often just gets slandered regardless just as it is in this case. If someone in any other workplace applied a squirrel grip on another person, all hell would break loose. It wasn't a mistake..it was a deliberate act. Miller (who i rate as a very good footballer) has history with acts that aren't in the spirit of the game. After the game on Sautrday night, Lachie Neale's neck and upper body was scratched in a way I have never seen done before in a football match. He had skin missing all over his upper body.
Miller's game style reminds me of Tony Liberatore. A very good footballer but is also very very good at taking away opposition players focus on the game with some not so credible tactics.
I didn't realise this.
I'm a bit disappointed there wasn't more retribution towards Miller. IMHO after the nut grab, Zorks should have given him a few clips when he was on top of him rather than just pushing him into the ground. Take my opinion with a grain of salt though, I was suspended multiple times for retaliating to stuff that happened behind the ball when I used to play, the upside though was the off the ball stuff miraculously stopped happening though. But when there is no penalty of any type for players that do stuff 'not in the spirit of the game' anymore it will continue to happen. 20+ years ago Miller would've been lined up by a JB or someone similar.

When I played footy , the ref used to check our finger nails sometimes , they had to be short as to protect players eyes.
Is this still a common thought before players take the field or at least expected.
I guess you could still scratch someone even with short nails .
Last time I played it wasn't a thing anymore.

I also can’t really conceive that he went into the tackle with the intention of squeezing his testicle.. Zorko moving at high speed in another direction. The right hand grabbed his jersey at the back of the neck and pulled him in. The left hand grabbed what was in front of him to complete the tackle.

Now I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if he realised where his hand was and instinctively gave an extra tweak because of who it was, which is definitely not on.

but I can’t really be convinced that he went into the tackle with a premeditated desire to grab Zorko by the balls.

Now I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if he realised where his hand was and instinctively gave an extra tweak because of who it was, which is definitely not on.
Pretty sure this is what most people are suggesting, intentional rather than premeditated.

On The Age Podcast, Carro questioned if Zorko had broken the players code, by voicing his frustration in the media.

The rest of the panelists, responded with a resounding No. The AFL a should have investigated the incident, and provided a response, and such an action has no place on the footy field.

On The Age Podcast, Carro questioned if Zorko had broken the players code, by voicing his frustration in the media.

The rest of the panelists, responded with a resounding No. The AFL a should have investigated the incident, and provided a response, and such an action has no place on the footy field.
It’s all Zorko’s fault.

I also can’t really conceive that he went into the tackle with the intention of squeezing his testicle.. Zorko moving at high speed in another direction. The right hand grabbed his jersey at the back of the neck and pulled him in. The left hand grabbed what was in front of him to complete the tackle.

but I can’t really be convinced that he went into the tackle with a premeditated desire to grab Zorko by the balls.
Mate, he went on with it, when he should have released straight away. It clear as daylight. Original intent or not.

And you’re on the wrong board to try and defend Miller’s actions.

Just imagine if Zorko had've done that.

SM and the footy media would've lit up . Including quite a few on this forum.

Usually those sort of actions are hard to get on film , it's mostly in the middle of a pack or Roger Merritt style behind play.

This is as clear as a bell with no mitigating circumstances. I'm dumbfounded he didn't get cited and sent straight to the Tribunal. Just no rational explanation for that

Usually those sort of actions are hard to get on film , it's mostly in the middle of a pack or Roger Merritt style behind play.

This is as clear as a bell with no mitigating circumstances. I'm dumbfounded he didn't get cited and sent straight to the Tribunal. Just no rational explanation for that
The only rational explanation is that it was only Zorko who was affected. If he had done it to Daicos all hell would have broken loose and he would have copped 4 weeks. The MRO is an absolute joke and has been for years.

The only rational explanation is that it was only Zorko who was affected. If he had done it to Daicos all hell would have broken loose and he would have copped 4 weeks. The MRO is an absolute joke and has been for years.
If Zorko was the perpetrator, I don’t think it would have mattered who he did it to, all Hell would have broken loose but I agree, if it was Nick Daicos it would have been at another level again.

I didn't realise this.
I'm a bit disappointed there wasn't more retribution towards Miller. IMHO after the nut grab, Zorks should have given him a few clips when he was on top of him rather than just pushing him into the ground. Take my opinion with a grain of salt though, I was suspended multiple times for retaliating to stuff that happened behind the ball when I used to play, the upside though was the off the ball stuff miraculously stopped happening though. But when there is no penalty of any type for players that do stuff 'not in the spirit of the game' anymore it will continue to happen. 20+ years ago Miller would've been lined up by a JB or someone similar.
If the bolded happened Zorks would have been derided unmercifully for being an uncontrolled hot head in the media as well as on here by a few Lions supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see you posting Mighty Lions, I did notice a big scratch on Lachie's neck chest region, used to despise that scragging Libba, looks like Touk may be a bird of similar feather..

Great post ML!
The challenge now is to find a way to deal with these sort of tactics so it doesn't become a template for other clubs to model against us...

What's the best footage of the incident? I haven't been able to see Touk do anything, but people were mentioning some clearer vision has been released

I think there is two actions when watching it on replay, the second action is finished by Zorko getting physical himself.

Great post ML!
The challenge now is to find a way to deal with these sort of tactics so it doesn't become a template for other clubs to model against us...
Going to the AFL about the treatment would be step one I would imagine. Asking someone to sacrifice themselves for a game or two giving retribution would be the other I guess.

What about the nobhead coach, said it was pretty disrespectful of Zorko to accuse their captain of such an act.
give me a break Gandu

What about the nobhead coach, said it was pretty disrespectful of Zorko to accuse their captain of such an act.
give me a break Gandu
It would be a really strange accusation to make if it wasn't true. Of all things to randomly accuse someone on a footy field for, I would think that would be among some of the more unlikely ones.

It would be a really strange accusation to make if it wasn't true. Of all things to randomly accuse someone on a footy field for, I would think that would be among some of the more unlikely ones.
Agree totally, I think the coach was trying to add to the, it’s Zorko the tool theme. I am afraid there is no way I am letting him get away with that, there was still a quarter to go Zorks could have inflicted some real damage in that remaining half hour.

The incidental contact argument I won’t buy. And even if it was initially unintentional.. once he realised what he had hold of he certainly didn’t look like he released his grip straight away.

Suns have laid what - over 1000 tackles this year?
And there just happens to be one single tackle that stands out where an oppositions players plums are grabbed and that player JUST HAPPENS to be one who there is a clear history of niggle with?

Incidental?
Please..

The justifying that Zorko deserves it because of his history is the kind of toxic social media pile on that makes modern society stink.

Back