Preview Round 21 – Western Bulldogs vs GWS Giants, Friday 11th August, 7.50pm, Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
I think we have our mojo back. :)

There’s no doubt that was a very good win against quality opposition. The fact we were missing our best three forwards makes it even more significant.

That was the lesson from today - there’s value in being unpredictable, as long as you have the talent to back it up. We were forced into it against the Demons and came through with flying colours. I wonder if we can find that X-factor again next week.

What a difference the return of Stephen Coniglio has made to this team. With the wisdom of hindsight, we’ve been labouring in second gear without him. He seems to have ignited our midfield and is inspiring everyone else with his hunger. A class act if there ever was one.

That first quarter was like a continuation of the last quarter against the Dockers, and it was fantastic to watch. I thought it was pretty obvious we were going to win after piling on 8 consecutive goals. But that’s not to say we weren’t made to earn it, which is just as well, considering the opposition next Friday night.

The Bulldogs have been cruising under the radar for most of the season and find themselves in striking distance of the top 4. They haven’t been setting the world on fire – but they keep winning, and won’t go away. I wouldn’t be writing them off come finals time.

To that end, a win is absolutely crucial to their top 4 chances. And given their dislike of us, they’d be only too happy to effectively kill off our chance of a top 2 finish. There’s certainly a lot at stake.

As far as team selection goes, Toby will be available again, and according to Leon, he’s “an absolute certainty, provided he gets through the week”. Leon is also 98% confident Jon Patton will be back, although there was no word on Jeremy Cameron.

So, who makes way for Toby and Jon? It’s a good problem to have. Himmelberg will probably be moved to defence, or even dropped, which would be unfortunate as he played very well. Deledio will also probably be moved somewhere else – or maybe not? He’ll certainly be better for the run. And if Mummy isn’t available, well, we don’t have to worry as much as we used to, because Dawson Simpson is waiting in the wings.

All things considered, today was the perfect tune-up for next Friday. Judging by the tackle count – 110 – I think the players were psyching themselves up, which is a very good sign.

What a game this will be. It will certainly draw a big crowd. I’m sorely tempted to take a day off work and attend.

So all you Melbourne Giants, get yourselves down to Etihad Stadium, let’s make some noise, and stick it right up those Bulldogs. :D

Here come the Giants!

Yes, if we can bring that same skill/effort/intensity & improve by a bit we can account for the Bulldogs. Another 8 point game; we can solidify our position in the top 8 (& top 4) while putting Bulldogs in perilous territory if we win. Lose, and we're back in the shitfight with a bunch of other teams.

Team choice will be interesting. For mine, Toby comes in for Matt de Boer, who has been really solid for us since he came into the team & is well prepared if we need him before the end of the year, but his class just doesn't match Toby/Lids/Dev. I'm guessing that the General will come in for HH, although for mine I'd give Stevie J a rest from travelling interstate & go back to a 3 forward (Patton, Lobb, HH) setup. Probably the only query is on how Lids pulled up after his first full game. Otherwise, Matty Kennedy deserves to hold his spot. Oh, and Dawson for Mummy when he cops a suspension. Hopefully it's only one week - Dawson will be OK against whoever the Bulldogs are using in ruck.

And yeah, how much differences does Cogs make to this team? Need him firing again next week & lifting his teammates.

Absolutely agree tackling is the key to beating the Bulldogs, putting them on their butt with no opportunity to get rid of the ball wrecks their game plan.
They also have no rucks worth speaking of and it's a good game for Mummy if he isn't suspended, and a great opportunity for Dawson if he is.

I dont agree they are a threat for finals this year, and I base this on watching the previous years premiers be overrated the following year for a long time. What the Hawks and the Crows achieved is very unusual. The Crows are probably the only side I've seen limp through their premier season and then come home with a head of steam to go back to back. The baby Bombers couldn't do it and they were awesome.

I'm a Harrison fan and hope he stays in, but It's all about Stevie J and I get he will play instead if fit.

Lot of speculation that Johannisen should be tagged,:D for me we just make sure Toby gets in his face and tests for weakness, which he seems to show when harassed.

Similar to this week I think we'll win because we have to, and it would be the righteous outcome. It's about 4 points though, nothing more or less.

Last edited:

I am excited for this game v the Dogs although not at the best time for me I will try to watch live
Bulldogs on a 4 win streak so they will be feeling good about this game and team selection will be interesting for both teams
How many talls in defence and assuming Mumford is out is it a shuffle the players or does Simpson come in?
I think the 4 talls is too many for the Dogs small forward set up but what options are available?
Perryman or Setterfield for Corr?
Lobb to ruck FT with a chop out from HH or Simpson comes in?
The mids will be better for the run together and I would expect Hopper and Deledio to improve next week
Will Bam Bam need a rest before finals?
My team would be

Shaw Davis Haynes
Wilson Tomlinson Williams
Scully Ward Whitfield
Kelly HH Smith
Johnson Patton Greene
Lobb Hopper Coniglio
Deledio MDB Kennedy Corr/Perryman

I don't think any injuries came out from the game just a likely suspension for Mumford

I'm a fan of sending MDB to JJ and run a hard tag on him. Stop the run off half back and match them in contested ball and I'm not sure that they score enough points to beat us. That said he might not be in the team this week so maybe that's a matt Kennedy job

I think Dawson is a straight in for mummy and green in as a minimum up front

Yes, if we can bring that same skill/effort/intensity & improve by a bit we can account for the Bulldogs. Another 8 point game; we can solidify our position in the top 8 (& top 4) while putting Bulldogs in perilous territory if we win. Lose, and we're back in the shitfight with a bunch of other teams.

Team choice will be interesting. For mine, Toby comes in for Matt de Boer, who has been really solid for us since he came into the team & is well prepared if we need him before the end of the year, but his class just doesn't match Toby/Lids/Dev. I'm guessing that the General will come in for HH, although for mine I'd give Stevie J a rest from travelling interstate & go back to a 3 forward (Patton, Lobb, HH) setup. Probably the only query is on how Lids pulled up after his first full game. Otherwise, Matty Kennedy deserves to hold his spot. Oh, and Dawson for Mummy when he cops a suspension. Hopefully it's only one week - Dawson will be OK against whoever the Bulldogs are using in ruck.

And yeah, how much differences does Cogs make to this team? Need him firing again next week & lifting his teammates.

It's at Etihad so Stevie J will have a week off. That surface is very hard and no good for chronic injuries like his. Greene and Patton come in, Mummy goes out and replaced by Simpson. As we get taller Himmelberg probably goes out. Unless off course we lose others with inevitable injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How huge is having our VC back! His leadership has truly ignited our midfield!

Deledio needs to play the next few games to get him cherry ripe for finals.

Big Daws for mummy is the obvious change and if Patton gets up then I would drop MDB personally

How huge is having our VC back! His leadership has truly ignited our midfield!

Deledio needs to play the next few games to get him cherry ripe for finals.

Big Daws for mummy is the obvious change and if Patton gets up then I would drop MDB personally
MDB has to play. The defensive acts are thru the roof

:huh:Any particular reason?
To long to list here.
d4f677034cc99cacd8551b76ebdc214c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

To long to list here.
d4f677034cc99cacd8551b76ebdc214c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Yeah
I think we just get the four points. I may not go down for this game after all. Just got back and have been away 2 weeks of the last three. I think the Cats round 23 is a game I really want to be at. From there it's short notice and no idea for finals. We're a chamce of a home WF so hopefully.
Train worked well. 4hour trip but none of the hassle of flying and civilised.

Without Cameron and Patton I think our defensive pressure in the f50 is much better. Not sure what the best forward setup is really, it's great we have lots of options. Our midfield ran over the top of Melbourne which was a great sign coming into finals.

Not many teams could ease a player like delidio into the game like we did.

If Mummy gets a week and Patton returns I think we should play Lobb in the ruck. Keep Himmelberg as a utility.
It will annoy me if mummy gets a week for that. He came in looking for contact, sure, but he tried to minimize any damage when he actually came into contact with him. Given how soft the afl is these days they will probably give him a week.

It will annoy me if mummy gets a week for that. He came in looking for contact, sure, but he tried to minimize any damage when he actually came into contact with him. Given how soft the afl is these days they will probably give him a week.
I thought you were a puppet flying a flag of convenience on the MB. I now think I was wrong, and apoligise.
There is an intro thread under the members bar if you feel comfortable.If you haven't found it it will give you a clue who's who here anyway.

I thought you were a puppet flying a flag of convenience on the MB. I now think I was wrong, and apoligise.
There is an intro thread under the members bar if you feel comfortable.If you haven't found it it will give you a clue who's who here anyway.
Thanks. Yeah, I used to follow fitzroy before they folded, I don't count Brisbane as Fitzroy at all, kinda hate them really. Been teamless until gws came around. Have some family in Sydney that gave me the connection to the place. Anyway I dont think it really matters that much , just hope the number of Giants supporters keeps increasing.

Thanks. Yeah, I used to follow fitzroy before they folded, I don't count Brisbane as Fitzroy at all, kinda hate them really. Been teamless until gws came around. Have some family in Sydney that gave me the connection to the place. Anyway I dont think it really matters that much , just hope the number of Giants supporters keeps increasing.
We're all from somewhere else, I think you'll find genuine interest in the club is all we care about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back