Preview Round 24 v Port Adelaide AO Sunday 27th August 12.30pm - Brown & Trezise Debut

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This week is our final game of the 2023 season as the team travels to Adelaide for what is going to be an important game with Port trying to secure themselves home finals throughout and also possibly trying to secure the minor premiership if Collingwood stumble against Essendon on Friday night.

This game will be the first without Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt who retired on Saturday afternoon with a win over North. In a way it signifies a new dawn, with over half the 2017 premiership side now no longer part of the club, as well as the coach also having departed. The game could also be the final game that McQualter is in charge as the club is also narrowing down its search for our next senior coach.

Selection for this game will be interesting with Jack and Trent already out you have to wonder if there are others that will miss given for us there isn't anything to play for and no point wheeling out players who are carrying a niggle (Daniel springs to mind with his ankle). Add to that the eligibility rules for the VFL finals and the following players who played Sunday are ineligible for the VFL side this week: Mansell (16) Ryan (14) Ralphsmith (13) Miller (13), while those who played in the AFL on the weekend that can still play VFL are: Maurice (9) Soldo (7) Dow (3), so I think we will see those 3 plus Trent & Jack being replaced in the side.

Out: Cotchin Riewoldt (both managed) M.Rioli Soldo (both 'omit')
In: Mansell Ryan Miller Ralphsmith

B: Balta Young Grimes
HB: Short D.Rioli Vlastuin
C: McIntosh Taranto Ross
HB: Prestia Baker Graham
F: Ryan Martin Miller
R: Nankervis Hopper Bolton
INT: Dow Mansell Broad Pickett
SUB: Ralphsmith

While Dow does qualify for the VFL finals, I'd like to see him play another game at the senior level, as I've liked what I've see from him the last 2 weeks and if he is going to remain with the club in 2024 then playing another game alongside the likes of Taranto Hopper Bolton Prestia & Martin as part of the midfield mix is surely better for him than being dropped to the VFL. However I wouldn't be shocked to see him sent back to the VFL to give us the strongest possible line up for that cut throat final.

In regards to this game, well it's certainly going to be different up forward with Ryan and Miller holding down the key position spots this week, however maybe we could give Nank the chance to play deep forward for the game and allow Ryan and Miller to ruck against Port who are running with Hayes and Visentini who are no older and less experienced than both Miller & Ryan. Nank showed he could be useful down forward against the Roos and would at least give us a presence down there that would otherwise be missing. Outside that not a lot changes really, the back line pretty much remains the same, as does the midfield unit. So it's not truly a new era beginning, but more an ending to a year that held so much hope to start out, but ended up being the full stop to our era.

Port should win this by 5+ goals in a tune up for them for the finals, as it's hard to see us getting up after a big week last week to farewell some legends.

How do we watch an AFL and VFL game at the same time?

AFL eff it up again.

Surely a 3pm start for the VFL game???

Otherwise we need some big scissors to cut our bodies in half.

Last edited:
How do we watch an AFL and VFL game at the same time?

AFL eff it up again.

Surely a 3pm start for the VFL game???

Otherwise we need some big scissors to cut our bodies in half.
Picture in Picture

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cant believe we have to wait almost 7 months to see the team play again after this

where did the season go ?

feels like yesterday I was sinking ice cold vb tinnies and cheddar shapes dipped in philly and watching us pump the crows over there in round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back