Autopsy Round 3 Blues dominant as Harry kicks 7

Who played well in Round 3 vs the Dockers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nope.

panic merchant getting a game on potential from 4 years ago. If he’d been take at 30 in the draft he’d havebeen delisted by now. Get some else in there. We played 2 short tonight.
Disagree. Doesn’t panic just goes high tempo. Needs to slow down and not necessarily take first option for the sake of playing super fast. Gets a call from a team mate and passes without assessing if that is best option. He has enough of a skill set for coaches to work with. If they can’t make a player out of him something wrong at the club.

I don't think Dow is going to get much confidence coming back from the VFL tbh. Feel like he's in an endless cycle of trying to get himself to base level, but he's still nowhere near it. Had the perfect opportunity to stamp himself against a reasonably mediocre opponent, and went through his usual array of mistakes - fumbles, miskicks, caught HTB on at least one occasion. He had a very poor game, to put it mildly.

More than happy to give Stocker another chance, but it might be a straight swap to Setters.

Fitness aside, the poor guy is so far inside his own head it's hard to watch. His and O'Brien's careers are both on track to be casualties of our 2018/19 death spiral.

The problem with Levi is he cannot jump anymore. Just runs under the ball and gets crashed. He was terrible again...interrupted preseason but until TDK is ready, he fills a role. I'd go Oscar Macdonald at the moment

He did take a freo player off the ground through physicality.I mean thats what we all wanted . Thought he presented and took a bit of heat .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think Dow is going to get much confidence coming back from the VFL tbh. Feel like he's in an endless cycle of trying to get himself to base level, but he's still nowhere near it. Had the perfect opportunity to stamp himself against a reasonably mediocre opponent, and went through his usual array of mistakes - fumbles, miskicks, caught HTB on at least one occasion. He had a very poor game, to put it mildly.

More than happy to give Stocker another chance, but it might be a straight swap to Setters.
I thought he may have been embarrassed by his peers (2017 national draft) in Brayshaw & Cerra; but, as it turned out Fogarty really showed all three of them :D

I'm not too sure what he is missing, but he's an 'almost' player atm.
He's close enough to the action without any actual influence :mad:

I hate bagging our own players, but if I can see this then I'm sure the coaches can as well.
He'll be dropped this week - I'm pretty sure.
Give someone else a chance to show their wares

Great games from a number of our second stringers.

Fogarty has had a good start to his career at Carlton, but I had him as our best afield today. Has so many good attributes - manic pressure, quick hands, nice turn of pace - everything clicked at once in the first half, and he was in seemingly every foray forward. Decent ceiling.

Cottrell looked composed and brought his usual intensity. It does wonders for our structure having him sit on a defensive wing for 120 minutes, pushing back to help out in defence, and linked up well. His ball handling was as clean as I've seen. I really hope the MC give him a good crack. He's constantly improving as a player and always full of effort. Defensively he was very sound too.

Parks is an interesting player. Didn't realise he's still 19, but it certainly showed at times. Very rugged, and needing some TLC, but his athletic profile and defensive nous means he's mouldable. Like Cottrell, personality-wise he seems pretty fanatical and full of energy. Made a couple of big errors, but there's lots to work with.

Might only seem minor but just loved Zac Williams, about 2 seconds before the first bounce, walk past Mundy and give him a little dig in the chest.

Sort of stuff a Dusty or a Luke Hodge would do - a bit of unsociable football.
What about Crippa led from the front physically, ripped shirt bandages flapping around.

Even Walshy showed some agro on the boundary line not taking any crap...might be rubbing off on the players.

Omac is definitely the greatest ever medical sub in the entire history of the carlton football club.
How dare you damn our future captain-coach with such faint praise?

All jokes aside, I can see a role for him in the Casboult bent, provided we're willing to invest a bit of time into him and some patience.

I thought he may have been embarrassed by his peers (2017 national draft) in Brayshaw & Cerra; but, as it turned out Fogarty really showed all three of them :D

I'm not too sure what he is missing, but he's an 'almost' player atm.
He's close enough to the action without any actual influence :mad:

I hate bagging our own players, but if I can see this then I'm sure the coaches can as well.
He'll be dropped this week - I'm pretty sure.
Give someone else a chance to show their wares

Wish he was almost at the mark.

Doubt we'd be persisting if we hadn't invested a high draft pick, but at some point his chances are going to run out. Now in his 4th year, and while the midfielders drafted around him are transitioning into stars of the competition he's struggling to crack double figures possession tallies.

I have no doubt Stocker would be providing more, and it's only a matter of time before they preference him and probably others (Carroll, Ramsay?) over him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fitness aside, the poor guy is so far inside his own head it's hard to watch. His and O'Brien's careers are both on track to be casualties of our 2018/19 death spiral.

Hard to pinpoint how much of it is mental and how much is his overall ability as a footballer.

We knew he had issues with his kicking skills and his tank as a junior player, but his athletic traits kept him in the frame, and his dominant performance at the Championships elevated him to the top of the draft order in what was a pretty poor draft pool.

There was always the perception he’d improve on his weaknesses when he entered the AFL system, but if anything they’ve become more pronounced as the pressure’s ramped up, and not long after he started he began receiving negative press about his poor kicking. That’s added another layer of uncertainty to him, and as you mention: it shows. He looks genuinely despondent during games.

Could partly be our development, but it’s getting pretty dire for Paddy if he can’t turn it around quickly.

Was at the game some thoughts...

Game plan looked a lot more refined, slowed it down a touch until we are on the outside, then they go full tilt.

Jones - Was best on ground for mine.. his attack at the footy and bullet passes to our forwards was first rate.
Mackay - Looks so lethargic and lazy at times, but then in patches just goes bang... If we can get him to play with intensity for the whole game he would be the best player in the comp..
Cripps - Shut up his stupid critics Lyon, Cornes and others.. What a game and even kicked 2 goals, said a week or so ago he is going to re-sign and it looks like it has happened.
Walsh - This kid is a freak, still doesn't look like he has hit his ceiling.. Has been our best player this year.
Fogarty - Get's better every week, Kid is a star in the making, thanks Geelong..
JSOS - Another good game again today his 2nd/ 3rd/ 4th efforts are amazing.. You just get the feeling that one day he is going to rip the game apart.
SPS - Didn't get a lot of it today but geez he has some tricks.. Get him up the ground ASAP

Williams - Battled hard all day and did some great things, he copped some huge hits this week

Gibbons, Weitering, Newnes, Curnow, Pittonet (Don't punch to an open goal square again) & Saad - All were really solid and played well.

Whipping Boys
Plowman - Was solid and went a long ways of making up for last week
Murphy - Was solid, his run and getting to the right positions was great, just got bypassed for Harry today.
Casboult - Was terrible again, looks injured or cooked and his hands have turned into bricks
Dow - Wasn't great today tried though.. Backed into a contest with the flight of the ball, which I thought was super brave.. But still needs work in the VFL
Docharty - The calls to drop him are absurd, his courage and defending is second to none, he may turn over a couple of kicks but so does everyone else

Newbies
Cottrell - Was great on the wing and brought some real hardness and energy to the contest
Parks - Was great also had a couple of nervous kicks but did well

Betts - Yes we all love Eddy, but he was average today did a couple of good defensive efforts but that was it.. Would give him a rest on the road

Out - Casboult, Dow, Betts
In - McDonald (2nd Ruck), McGovern, Stocker

Would make Setterfield and Williamson earn their spots back, after todays game Parks and Cottrell offer a lot more
excellent rundown - jones bog for mine - was a wall when the game was still to be won...........

Loved the way he played - has an interesting kicking action too.
Kicking has never been Luke’s strongest point but he makes up for it with his general play. Didn’t manage to showcase his intercept marking but Jones was key in that area. Overall thought he had a solid debut and it probably turned out to be much easier than he would have imagined given the total dominance of the Blues right throughout the game. Hopefully he’s done enough to keep his spot next week.

Back