Oppo Camp Round 4 - The Other 8 Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon playing heaps of first year players. Collingwood take note
Thay have played 2 of the 6 1st years they bought into the club. The ones who played were pick 7 and 8 so rated more highly than any of our kids so likely to play early. We have played one of ours, pick 17 , who wasnt ready. Thats what we should take note of.

Thay have played 2 of the 6 1st years they bought into the club. The ones who played were pick 7 and 8 so rated more highly than any of our kids so likely to play early. We have played one of ours, pick 17 , who wasnt ready. Thats what we should take note of.

Good point,
But what about our other recruits from 2 years ago?

Lack of competitive footy in 2020. Those scratch matches did nothing

In part I agree with you but look at the newbies from other clubs this year and there development.
And not just Interstate clubs.
Perhaps I am impatient I read Murphy,Toehill,Keane etc have ability.

Good point,
But what about our other recruits from 2 years ago?
For a bit of perspective for those worrying Collingwoood are bucking a trend by not playing their youngsters consider this

In 2019 our draft picks were 40, Rantall, 45 Bianco and 55 Ruscoe. Kids picked in this range don't play early and a fair number hardly play at all. We need to be patient

Currently of the 16 players picked between 40 and 55 or Rantall to Ruscoe 4 of them have debuted. The games totals for these 4 is 1, 2, 5 and 6 respectively. Trey Ruscoe has played more games than any player picked form pick 40-55 in the 2019 draft with a total of 6. They will play when and if they become ready. Collingwood are not holding our youngsters back even if the press is trying to create an issue with it.

For a bit of perspective for those worrying Collingwoood are bucking a trend by not playing their youngsters consider this

In 2019 our draft picks were 40, Rantall, 45 Bianco and 55 Ruscoe. Kids picked in this range don't play early and a fair number hardly play at all. We need to be patient

Currently of the 16 players picked between 40 and 55 or Rantall to Ruscoe 4 of them have debuted. The games totals for these 4 is 1, 2, 5 and 6 respectively. Trey Ruscoe has played more games than any player picked form pick 40-55 in the 2019 draft with a total of 6. They will play when and if they become ready. Collingwood are not holding our youngsters back even if the press is trying to create an issue with it.

So tossing away draft picks re Beams and Treloar has lead to this lack of talent?

So tossing away draft picks re Beams and Treloar has lead to this lack of talent?
Major reason. We have 3 picks from the teens , 13, 17, 19 and no top 10 picks from the last 6 drafts.

Contrast that with the two teams I hate most

Carlton 6 top 10 picks (2 number 1's) and 4 picks in the 11-20 so 10 top 20 picks in total
Essendon 6 top 10 picks

look at Sydney 5 top 10 and 7 in the top 20 total
Freo 6 top 10 and 8 top 20 total
Adelaide 3 top 10s and 9 top 20 total
Dogs 3 and 6
Port 1 and 8

then get to

GWS 5 top 10 picks and 15 picks from top 20 total
GC 11 top 10 picks and 14 total

How do we match talent on the park from the rest of the comp when we have given up all our 1st round picks or sold off the players we got with them for hardly anything. Huge talent hole in our list.

Major reason. We have 3 picks from the teens , 13, 17, 19 and no top 10 picks from the last 6 drafts.

Contrast that with the two teams I hate most

Carlton 6 top 10 picks (2 number 1's) and 4 picks in the 11-20 so 10 top 20 picks in total
Essendon 6 top 10 picks

look at Sydney 5 top 10 and 7 in the top 20 total
Freo 6 top 10 and 8 top 20 total
Adelaide 3 top 10s and 9 top 20 total
Dogs 3 and 6
Port 1 and 8

then get to

GWS 5 top 10 picks and 15 picks from top 20 total
GC 11 top 10 picks and 14 total

How do we match talent on the park from the rest of the comp when we have given up all our 1st round picks or sold off the players we got with them for hardly anything. Huge talent hole in our list.

Indeed,
And I am no draft expert and as you say some clubs have been handled in a well for my mind rigged way.
What is the best way forward for me its non negotiable we keep our say top draft selections ?
Is that possible?
Maybe not this is the knew future.

Why are people so mad about that ruck decision. That's not holding the ball. They changed the rule where you can grab it out of the ruck and if you get tackled it isn't holding the ball. I wished Grundy would grab it out of the ruck more and kick it. He has actually done this less since they changed the rule.

Thinking of tom lynch in 2016 regardless of playing in two flags and all the other bullshit, Tom lynch the player has been disappointing given what he was projected to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good game of footy tonight, the Tigers look venerable early on this year.
Few look to have slowed a little and the pressure of Port and Sydney last week has been telling.

Watching Tigers v Port tonight, plus what we’ve seen from this season from Brisbane, the Swans and even Gold Coast, it’s really notable how confident, skilled and impactful their younger players are.

Can we say that about ours too? Maybe yes for Daicos and Quaynor but it’s very hard to tell for the rest coz we’ve seen so little of them.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Charlie Dixon has dropped marks, fumbled, been pushed under the pill repeatedly and there has not been a word of criticism.
Cox would have been the sole topic of conversation for the commentators if he had played like Dixon. Can they persist with Cox? Is he best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back