Round 5 Match Review: The Good The Excellent & the Simply Outstanding

Jack+Billings+AFL+Rd+1+St+Kilda+v+Melbourne+t2M7kGuob7Bl.jpg

Thought that was breakoutesque by Stanley tonight. If he'd kicked a goal or two, that'd be unequivocal. I really, really like this Hickey/Stanley combo. Again, credit to Jolly.

Would really like to see another medium or tall come in. Just think it might seal it for us.

Also, I don't think Ross really works as a sub. I would have loved to see him out there all night. Maybe Temps plays sub next week? He seems to have dropped off a little, and needs a lighter load.

I think I'll just enjoy the moment and wont write up a huge "good and bad" post. But I will say, from what I saw, Eli mainly played as a small forward, basically the hardest position to play (yes he did move into the midfield for a bit of the third). Should have kicked the early goal but I think he'll improve for next week.

Sorry for the intrusion, but a couple of things:

A life long Saints fan, you have made my grandmother's 90th birthday one to remember. Thank you. :hearts:

But, on the game, and I know you will hear this a lot over the next few years, but Billings and Dunstan will be outright superstars. Just wow. So much young talent at the Saints, glad you are sticking it up to the doubters.

Go the Saints :thumbsu:

my god. what a game. That billings goal at the start of the game, oozes absolute class.

One of the best parts of the game, I was in the 3rd tier at the game on the docklands side, probably about 30-40 of us saints supporters out of the 300 people (rest were all dons supporters) sang the song with about 5 mins to go. Decent way to farewell the 5000 bombers supporters who were leaving at the time.

Stanley really stepped up, his link up work on the wing was outstanding. He is growing in stature each week.

Our Defence was amazing, repelled each attack, and our appetite for the contest never floundered. Great response from last week, couldn't be more proud of our mob.

Nick Riewoldt, you absolute champion. The interchange cap has absolutely worked in his favour. Michael Hurley was pantsed, and was handsdown cooked by about 5 mins into the second quarter.

Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD

We looked brave tonight. We weren't afraid to bring the ball into the corridor or back our skills to work it through a tight contest. We got slaughtered last week on turnovers so coming out and playing like we did tonight shows a great resilience and confidence from the players and coaches. Couldn't ask for more.

Newnes, Webster, Stanley, Billings were all great.
Saunders is a pressure machine - 8 tackles.
Curren is proving to be quite the tagger.
Vets are leading the way and kids are stepping up to the plate and giving it their all.

BAD

Who do we drop from the team when Fish and Lee are fit? Then there is Weller who is pushing hard for elevation. A good problem to have.

Not so much bad but just an observation: Eli, Hickey and Dunstan were looking a bit flat - they weren't horrible and it might just be kids being inconsistent, but maybe Dunstan and Eli need a week off? Hickey stays in unless his foot is an issue.

Jack Newnes 23 disposals at 87% disposal efficiency
Jimmy Webster 21 disposals at 90.5% disposal efficiency
Rhys Stanley 21 disposals at 81% disposal efficiency and 13 marks.
Jack Billings 19 disposals at 84.2% disposal efficiency, 7 marks and 2 gooals

Less than 100 games between all these guys and they all stood up tonight and played to a level well beyond their years. I know other guys in the team (Roo, Lenny) probably had better games but in the context of experience and age these guys were fantastic.

I'm still a little frustrated by Stanley.

Reckon he could go a lot harder at times. He's also slow to get his s**t together when he needs to contest the ruck too.

He certainly has talent but I'm still waiting to get wowed by him.

Essendon walking around like Lannisters with 'King' Hirdy reigning over all.....

**** the King.

Only sad part was being on holiday in Swan Hill and missing the win live.

What an exciting time to be a fan though. So many great players and moments and plays. Can't wait for Friday!

Hope we keep the 2 tall structure. Worked much better run back to goals instead of everyone leading at the ball carrier.

Anyway I'm off to have another whiskey. Wooooooooooooo!!!

post of the year nomination...funny that goffery and hirdy looks the same color now ;-)

Reckon he could go a lot harder at times. He's also slow to get his s**t together when he needs to contest the ruck too.

i feel its about patience and improvement with him. each week this year he has improved and taken another step. the steps maybe small at times but its progress. he's going well. he'll get to a point where he'll get over the cliff and the progress will be better. he needs confidence first, the rest will follow

Good to see you around here mate. I think we were all waiting for that "breakout" year for Stanley but it doesn't look like that will come, will be more of a slow build.

Reminding me of his solid start to 2012 before he got injured. Getting a little bit better every week.

The Bad ..... Bomber Thompson looked really arrogant for a while . He was leaning back eating lollies cos he thought it was an easy win.
The Good... by the 4th Qtr Bomber Thompson was under as much pressure as a fat mans belt . He crumbled and made f-All defensive moves.
WIN FOR RICHO!!!!!!!!!

Like : Our future. Add the likes of Acres, Markworth, Shenton, Lee, White etc and that's a much better base than what most people thought we had. The talent was always there, we just haven't been playing them as we understandably gave preference to our senior players. Without Dal, Big Boy, Milney, Blake, Kosi, and with Fisher out there's suddenly room in the team for the kids. Don't get too despondent though if we have a second half of the season fade out as we position ourselves for next year's draft. No good finishing 11/12th. Get those high draft picks next year baby and we'll do a Port Adelaide in 2015 !

Dislike: I've run out of beer tonight:D

Like : Our future. Add the likes of Acres, Markworth, Shenton, Lee, White etc and that's a much better base than what most people thought we had. The talent was always there, we just haven't been playing them as we understandably gave preference to our senior players. Without Dal, Big Boy, Milney, Blake, Kosi, and with Fisher out there's suddenly room in the team for the kids. Don't get too despondent though if we have a second half of the season fade out as we position ourselves for next year's draft. No good finishing 11/12th. Get those high draft picks next year baby and we'll do a Port Adelaide in 2015 !

Dislike: I've run out of beer tonight:D

haha mate, its alright. If we fade out, all you gotta do is hop on the AFL smart replay, click on tonight's game, grab a stubbie and enjoy!

Back