AFL Autopsy Round 5 - St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Thompson's press conference was very interesting. Makes me think that he doesn't realise we are not Geelong.. our players are not at the level he is used to.. they aren't going to do 'champion' things without guidance..

We are still a developing team.. need lots of structure and guidance.. and recovery schedules if that is important.. can't just expect these guys to coach themselves..

Slightly concerned that TRB is overestimating where a lot of our players are at in their careers.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. For years there has been a push to get ex AFL players into coaching, and now we don't watch them to umpire certain games. What happens if Fisher's parents of an AFL Club, and his best mate and his partner - Do we ban Fisher from umpiring these games.

He was umpiring his former team mates. How can there not be a conflict of interest?

The fact is that Gumbleton is barely an AFL standard footy player. Injuries didn't help but at no stage did he look a VERY GOOD AFL player.

That's because, yanno, his injuries started at age 19 and he never had a chance.

He was clearly, clearly the second best kid in the country. We're talking the Boyd/Patton sort of ballpark, and he never had a crack at it.

Fair enough, I thought they were related.

Tell me - do you think he was a worse player or umpire? Because he was a pretty ******* abysmal player.

Well he doesn't play for the saints anymore and didn't get picked up by another club when delisted so that explains where his at! Haha
The afl love to 'fast track' these former players to umpire afl for some reason.

I don't mind former players as umpires.. hopefully bring a common sense approach to it..

but they shouldn't umpire any teams they have played for.. ESPECIALLY if there are still current players that they played/trained with.

Imagine if Zaka retired tomorrow and went to umpire.. would ANYONE think it is a good idea to have him umpire Essendon games??

Mercifully missed the game and very sad to have lost. Let's call it one of our bad games, let's thank this game for our hungry and angry win this Friday and let's hope that these losses stop us getting jaded by mid-season and season's end. All the good clubs have upsets - this was ours - coming back having lost kilos of weight, being crook etc, I'm OK with the odd RARE upset. The point where dropping Cale Hooker entered this thread is the point where it should have closed never to be seen again

D
I don't mind former players as umpires.. hopefully bring a common sense approach to it..

but they shouldn't umpire any teams they have played for.. ESPECIALLY if there are still current players that they played/trained with.

Imagine if Zaka retired tomorrow and went to umpire.. would ANYONE think it is a good idea to have him umpire Essendon games??

Didn't Mark Fraser have the conflict of umpiring his fellow team mates at Essendon ?.....finished his AFL playing career in 2000 and was umpiring in the VFL by 2001 and the AFL by 2005. Even though it only lasted a few games and doubt any of those games involved Essendon but no doubt it would have cropped up at some point if he had of continued.

D

Didn't Mark Fraser have the conflict of umpiring his fellow team mates at Essendon ?.....finished his AFL playing career in 2000 and was umpiring in the AFL by 2005. Even though it only lasted a few games and doubt any of those games involved Essendon but no doubt it would have cropped up at some point if he had of continued.

Yep..

And IF Fraser had umpired our game.. I would have said exactly the same thing.

Ex players should NOT umpire any team they have played for. End of story.

Yep..

And IF Fraser had umpired our game.. I would have said exactly the same thing.

Ex players should NOT umpire any team they have played for. End of story.
Bannister umpired Essendon in the first AFL game he had. If anything he umpired against us

Bannister umpired Essendon in the first AFL game he had. If anything he umpired against us

And that was an equally poor decision.

Unless Marty Gleeson becomes an umpire, they're not cyborgs. They will all have strong feelings about clubs they played for, good or bad. It's simply not possible for them to be totally neutral.

Let Fisher do Carlton-Footscray or Port-West Coast or Geelong-Hawthorn. No issues at all.

And that was an equally poor decision.

Unless Marty Gleeson becomes an umpire, they're not cyborgs. They will all have strong feelings about clubs they played for, good or bad. It's simply not possible for them to be totally neutral.

Let Fisher do Carlton-Footscray or Port-West Coast or Geelong-Hawthorn. No issues at all.

And they shouldn't be in a position where they have to second guess themselves.
Fisher sees Riewoldt slightly impeded in a marking contest. The thoughts passing through his mind would include "Am I being too hard on him becasue it is Reiwoldt?" "Am i being too technical in his favour because it is Riewoldt?".
He hasn't got time for this. It should be see, decide....bang!
To have the umpire in a position where he has to contend with those thoughts is enough to warrant that it shouldn't happen.

And for the record.. I did object to Bannister doing our games at the time.

I can't even believe this is still being discussed.. would have thought it is a fundamental conflict of interest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The most frustrating thing about going to the footy is there is so many people who go week in, week out and watch, but have no idea what is unfolding in front of them.

How many times do you hear people yell out Kick the ball, only to look down the field and see your team outnumbered 4 or 5 to 1?

These are the same buffoons that abuse players like Brent Stanton.

They don't notice the effort he makes to get to as many contests as he does, and when you involve yourself as much as he does, you will make some mistakes, but at least he is there to make them.

Zaharakis, melksham and a few other of our so called midfield need to take a leaf out of Brents book. Then we might be successful.

The most frustrating thing about going to the footy is there is so many people who go week in, week out and watch, but have no idea what is unfolding in front of them.

How many times do you hear people yell out Kick the ball, only to look down the field and see your team outnumbered 4 or 5 to 1?

These are the same buffoons that abuse players like Brent Stanton.

They don't notice the effort he makes to get to as many contests as he does, and when you involve yourself as much as he does, you will make some mistakes, but at least he is there to make them.

Zaharakis, melksham and a few other of our so called midfield need to take a leaf out of Brents book. Then we might be successful.

This!!

I sit in an area at Etihad where there is one particular old lady who yells the entire game with helpful criticisms such as, "Just kick the bloody thing!", or "Man up!", or "Don't go backwards!". I really wish someone would tell her the game is not the same game she used to watch as a kid.
I'm getting to the point where the worst thing about some of our games are our own supporters. This sense of entitlement is slowly creeping in, and I don't like it.
As a group of supporters, I feel we've always been pretty level headed, but for whatever reason, maybe after so long without the ultimate success, people are becoming impatient and are demanding results.

I love this club as much as anyone, I hate losing and watching our team play on Saturday night was excruciating, but people need to be treating the football as something that compliments their lives without this expectation that because they 'pay their money' then they're entitled to some form of guaranteed benefit.

One thing I don't buy is the Saints pressure, yes it was good, but no more than a standard top 8 clash. When the game slipped away, the shackles came off and we took them on, our ball movement became very fluid.

sorry for intruding, but you weren't expecting a top 8 clash, you were expecting a melbourne or gws type game. Although I wasn't there, it is possible that your team thought they could cruise through.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

nor did we really get one, what we got was an absolute rugby scrum early, and then by the time it opened up in the 2nd half we were too knackered to take advantage.

It was a bit like the Melbourne game in 2012

Thompson's press conference was very interesting. Makes me think that he doesn't realise we are not Geelong.. our players are not at the level he is used to.. they aren't going to do 'champion' things without guidance..

We are still a developing team.. need lots of structure and guidance.. and recovery schedules if that is important.. can't just expect these guys to coach themselves..

Slightly concerned that TRB is overestimating where a lot of our players are at in their careers.
Yeah, I was a bit annoyed by his comment that he didn't know who had done what recovery or how many recovery sessions. The title is Senior Coach. I would have thought he'd have his finger on the pulse. Seems like he's just going through the motions knowing he's only there for a season.

Yeah, I was a bit annoyed by his comment that he didn't know who had done what recovery or how many recovery sessions. The title is Senior Coach. I would have thought he'd have his finger on the pulse. Seems like he's just going through the motions knowing he's only there for a season.

Last time the coach didn't know what the players were doing we got a $2m fine, booted out of the finals and lost draft picks for "bad governance"!

I do, yes. I also understand that viewing DE as a %, without looking at other factors is flawed,. As we saw on Sat night, getting the ball to your target may maintain a good DE% but it does nothing if the player you gave it too was the wrong option and the pressure they were under prior to you giving them the ball causes a turnover.

Hooker was not the only one, but maybe dropping an established player for poor disposal and decision making will wake the rest of the team up. It may not, and I'm aware the club isn't going to drop Hooker but if kids can and do get dropped from the youth leagues, I really don't see why you can't do it to those who are meant to be the best in the world

This is a funny board. Posters pumping up players for AA when they are long way from it, and wanting to drop players ( albeit early in the season) who is in AA form.

Long and short is that losing this game has put us right down the pecking order and in the pack.. another loss on ANZAC day and suddenly dark shadows will form.

The biggest problem was ball movement. We were far far too slow, and when we did try to move quickly we stuffed it up or used the wrong option.

Watson at FF was strategic, thankfully there is no injury, so hopefully Thompson won't make that mistake ever again. We robbed Peter to pay Paul and ended up in debt to both.

I expect they will ease back on the training load this week and the team should be fresh for Friday.

I think TBell has to come in and give us a forward marking option. Even if he only play 2 and a bit quarters.. I wouldn't put him in the ruck, he can ruck in the F50 and stay put as a perm FF.. we need a big body down there to crash some packs and cause some havoc.

Hardingham goes out for mine.. has had a poor two weeks after a solid start.. but teams have worked him out now. Personally JD has offered more spark than Hardy for two weeks in a row.

Melksham, Howlett and Zaka are at 'last chance' saloon imho.. and should be given one more opportunity to produce, if not one or more need to go back to the 2nds.

Goddard back will help and Winderlich is always a big in. Ashby and Jetta most likely go out for that duo.

The loss to St Kilda has the potential to derail a season, the key will be ensuring the rot stops now and we get the win against Pies. That would leave us 3-3 with a slightly easier run in the middle stages...

There is no way that you can play Ryder/T-Bell/JD and Carlisle in the one team. And especially against Collingwood.

That's because, yanno, his injuries started at age 19 and he never had a chance.

He was clearly, clearly the second best kid in the country. We're talking the Boyd/Patton sort of ballpark, and he never had a crack at it.

Gumbleton wasn't good enough. Simple. Gumby and Hansen were considered the two top talls in their draft year. Hansen has had a better run with injuries but as is stands NOW is a GOOD AFL player,nothing more.

And for the record.. I did object to Bannister doing our games at the time.

I can't even believe this is still being discussed.. would have thought it is a fundamental conflict of interest.

There are always conflicts of interest. Fisher's GF could be a Collingwood supporter, his family may be rabid Richmond supporters - And this scenario applies to all umpires.

Gumbleton wasn't good enough. Simple. Gumby and Hansen were considered the two top talls in their draft year. Hansen has had a better run with injuries but as is stands NOW is a GOOD AFL player,nothing more.

Scotty wasn't good enough in the same way Darcy Daniher wasn't good enough.

Never got a real opportunity to show us what he could do

Remove this Banner Ad

Back