AFL Autopsy Round 5 - St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Gumbleton wasn't good enough. Simple. Gumby and Hansen were considered the two top talls in their draft year. Hansen has had a better run with injuries but as is stands NOW is a GOOD AFL player,nothing more.

Let's say Tom Boyd has a similar injury run to Gumby. Is he not good enough, or are GWS just unlucky?

Let's say Tom Boyd has a similar injury run to Gumby. Is he not good enough, or are GWS just unlucky?
Or if Patton's injury woes continue as well.

Scotty wasn't good enough in the same way Darcy Daniher wasn't good enough.

Never got a real opportunity to show us what he could do

Below average below his knees, double handled the ball, couldn't win one-on-one contests, marking was inconsistent, slow decision maker and despite claims he was an elite endurance athlete,never outran his direct oppoenent. Do you realise that Gumby was involved in around 30 one-on-one contests in 2013, and failed to win one.

I have only seen Tom Boyd play twice. I'll give you an opinion sometime in 2015. Though I never thought you lose your skills after suffering constant injuries. As a point of reference, Winderlich is nearly always injured but when he plays you can see that he still retains his CORE skills.

You don't become the best tall in your draft year in the country by accident.
I'm glad you clarified with "tall" because Richard Tambling would make a good case of being a highly rated talent by accident.

This!!

I sit in an area at Etihad where there is one particular old lady who yells the entire game with helpful criticisms such as, "Just kick the bloody thing!", or "Man up!", or "Don't go backwards!". I really wish someone would tell her the game is not the same game she used to watch as a kid.
I'm getting to the point where the worst thing about some of our games are our own supporters. This sense of entitlement is slowly creeping in, and I don't like it.
As a group of supporters, I feel we've always been pretty level headed, but for whatever reason, maybe after so long without the ultimate success, people are becoming impatient and are demanding results.

I love this club as much as anyone, I hate losing and watching our team play on Saturday night was excruciating, but people need to be treating the football as something that compliments their lives without this expectation that because they 'pay their money' then they're entitled to some form of guaranteed benefit.
I wouldn't be surprised if you sit quite close to me.

There's an old lady whose seat is near me who does the same thing, every week. Actually seems to take very little joy in the game and only pipes up to criticise.

Some people haven't caught up, they're still stuck in the mentality of 1960s footy.

Does everybody remember the Hayes throw in the 2nd quarter? One woman behind me said (when the shot went wide) that it got what it deserved.

Below average below his knees, double handled the ball, couldn't win one-on-one contests, marking was inconsistent, slow decision maker and despite claims he was an elite endurance athlete,never outran his direct oppoenent. Do you realise that Gumby was involved in around 30 one-on-one contests in 2013, and failed to win one.
I had no idea that how he played in 2013 after a 5+ year run of injuries was taken into account back when he was drafted.

They must've been crazy to draft him knowing all that.

Aisle 40 level 2.

That's where I sit.

I am surrounded by people who haven't witnessed a change in footy since the seventies.

They don't get it. It does my head in. I'm a vocal supporter and level 2 is a great spot to see play unfold. The game is now a game of chess. The side who moves the pawns to the right areas most of the time wins.

I love the fact that pure skill and athleticism doesn't gaurantee a win anymore. The side who communicates/ works together best combined with contested footy wins.

Coaches are now chess players that keep their pawns in check.

KB might not like it, but its a modern game for modern people. In every way in life, progress is needed. Some of these people who sit near me want the laced up jumpers back.

They don't take the time to understand it, but complain that its not the same.

I love what the game is. The umpiring needs to change, but its minor detail.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's become the best sport in the world IMO. There's a balance between attack and defence, that's what I love about it

table tennis and eth-dog the current talk-back callers would disagree with your sentiments. Apparently the game is just a rolling maul now and boring.

I disagree with them, but agree with you both. Love watching footy, the tactics, the physicality, the skills and the speed. Went to the dogs blues game and the game today and thought they were both great games, high intensity.

table tennis and eth-dog the current talk-back callers would disagree with your sentiments. Apparently the game is just a rolling maul now and boring.

I disagree with them, but agree with you both. Love watching footy, the tactics, the physicality, the skills and the speed. Went to the dogs blues game and the game today and thought they were both great games, high intensity.

The sky is falling. Influential media people use thier power to push an agenda and the flock follows.

So I watch too much footy. I wouldn't do so if it was all of those things that people describe.

People might not be turning up to the footy, but that has more to do with scheduling, price rises and other annoying imbalances.

I heard Damien Barrett today say that the AFL have bargained for 65,000 people to turn up to today's Geelong Hawthorn game. There was 80,000. Barrett stated that he only expected 50,000.

Classic case of a peanut that has too much exposure has a negative view all the time clouds his basis of reality.

There is far too much negativity.

I am negative on blokes. People's arguments with me, generally my thing is people not playing within the confines of a chess board. Being individuals or lazy. People don't look at the game structurally.

I didn't either for a few years. I got involved at a local level again, and was staggered with change. So I wanted to learn. You learn from watching the best. You learn by watching the mistakes at the highest level capitalised on by the best.

We have repeat offenders and I have been harsh on Jetta, because I don't think he gets it. He is an old school footballer, not a chess player.

David Myers whilst improving at the contest, gets sucked into contests he cannot affect far to much. Opening up holes in our chess board.

We are getting better, but we need to move more and faster.

This is where stagnation of Zaharakis and Melksham by foot has been really disappointing.

I had no idea that how he played in 2013 after a 5+ year run of injuries was taken into account back when he was drafted.

They must've been crazy to draft him knowing all that.

Sometimes you have to accept that clubs get early draft picks wrong. It's happened to all clubs, and will continue to happen. Some have this mistaken belief that if an EARLY draft pick fails it must be poor development/injuries etc. It may be that players don't reach standards that were projected when they were 17/18.

Sometimes you have to accept that clubs get early draft picks wrong. It's happened to all clubs, and will continue to happen. Some have this mistaken belief that if an EARLY draft pick fails it must be poor development/injuries etc. It may be that players don't reach standards that were projected when they were 17/18.

Indeed, prime example of this is someone like Palmer, talked up something massive, ended up a solid foot solider.

However, with gumby this was not one of these times. He was the clear pick, LLoyd and Lucas were on the way out, he was the natural heir to the throne.

This is classic horrid luck, nothing more, nothing less

People might not be turning up to the footy, but that has more to do with scheduling, price rises and other annoying imbalances.

I am negative on blokes. People's arguments with me, generally my thing is people not playing within the confines of a chess board. Being individuals or lazy. People don't look at the game structurally.
Correct on the first point.

That second point is an interesting one. Listening to Bomber and Roos on 360 tonight, they mentioned they were both at the game tonight. What they both discussed was how well both teams play to team structures. Players know where they need to be, run to and need to do to help the team collectively. Mistakes are more costly now than ever before, many scoring opportunities happen as a result of them. The Saints limited their mistakes and turnovers on Saturday night and limited one of our main scoring avenues.

Hawthorn are a classic example. They kick to the spot 40m out directly in front by instinct just about because they know a mid or a back flanker will be there, on his own.
Correct.

If someone isn't there then I bet the crowd condemn the kicker, but internally it will be the bloke who was supposed to be there who is condemned

Long and short is that losing this game has put us right down the pecking order and in the pack.. another loss on ANZAC day and suddenly dark shadows will form.

The biggest problem was ball movement. We were far far too slow, and when we did try to move quickly we stuffed it up or used the wrong option.

Watson at FF was strategic, thankfully there is no injury, so hopefully Thompson won't make that mistake ever again. We robbed Peter to pay Paul and ended up in debt to both.

I expect they will ease back on the training load this week and the team should be fresh for Friday.

I think TBell has to come in and give us a forward marking option. Even if he only play 2 and a bit quarters.. I wouldn't put him in the ruck, he can ruck in the F50 and stay put as a perm FF.. we need a big body down there to crash some packs and cause some havoc.

Hardingham goes out for mine.. has had a poor two weeks after a solid start.. but teams have worked him out now. Personally JD has offered more spark than Hardy for two weeks in a row.

Melksham, Howlett and Zaka are at 'last chance' saloon imho.. and should be given one more opportunity to produce, if not one or more need to go back to the 2nds.

Goddard back will help and Winderlich is always a big in. Ashby and Jetta most likely go out for that duo.

The loss to St Kilda has the potential to derail a season, the key will be ensuring the rot stops now and we get the win against Pies. That would leave us 3-3 with a slightly easier run in the middle stages...

Hasn't Melksham played like 2 games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back