Autopsy Round 6, 2022: Hawks fall over against Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

I would like to see Finn as the big inside bullock, giving it off to better options in tight.

ATM, his outside run is useful, but his ball use is not

Nil Desperandum. There will be other matches, some that will make us proud to be Hawthorn supporters (like last week), and others that are not so great. Disappointing today, but that's life. If we can win win enough games to keep us in the hunt for a finals spot, I'll be happy with that for now. A mate of mine pre-season told me we would be top 4, that really is pushing optimism to the limit. Go Hawks!!! :hawthorn:

Our best is sizzling but or worst is atrocious - we saw that in patches. Lots of negatives today, particularly in the 4th but I’ll let everyone else get to those.

We have quite a number of players who are still playing off limited preparation or have missed a significant amount of footy in the last 12 months. Day, Impey, Lynch, Wingard, etc. We also were down McEvoy, Reeves, Bramble and Jiath. So I’m really not surprised we faded out so badly in the 4th.

Lots to learn from the game though. I thought Kozi and Lynch did more than enough to cover those spots. Jiath was always a big out but I wasn’t expecting us to also completely lose our creativity and flair off half back. Rebound game seemed well down from this years standards.

Bramble may need another week at BHH but I can see us bringing him back this week after the short turn around. He would definitely help with ball use and creativity.

Nil Desperandum. There will be other matches, some that will make us proud to be Hawthorn supporters (like last week), and others that are not so great. Disappointing today, but that's life. If we can win win enough games to keep us in the hunt for a finals spot, I'll be happy with that for now. A mate of mine pre-season told me we would be top 4, that really is pushing optimism to the limit. Go Hawks!!! :hawthorn:

I’ll always be proud.

And during this period, I’ll also be realistic, excited and patient.

I don't blame wingard or Finn, just think Wingard needs to take responsibility there. Small moments, s**t happens. I think we missed Mitch Lewis as the focal point and one of Shiels/Phillips. Lacked the chemistry against the Cats. Learning curve for our young coach
I think Wingard did the right thing. He increased the % shot and brought in a young player.

Finn fluffed it. We wouldn’t be discussing this otherwise

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your mates with Dom ?

I think Wingard did the right thing. He increased the % shot and brought in a young player.

Finn fluffed it. We wouldn’t be discussing this otherwise
This. I know Wingard is a bit of a whipping boy, but it shouldn’t matter whoever it is Finn should have kicked that goal. And while Dermie was right and I’d back Wingard from there over Finn from directly in front, I don’t think Finn should get off scot free for having pretty poor kicking. I’m 45 years old and fat and I’m pretty sure I’d kick that goal more times than not.

As should Mitchell in the 3rd.

The thing that annoyed me the most about today was that at the end of every qtr with 30-50 seconds left on the clock we had a kick out and we gifted them a shot on goal every time.

How hard is it to know the time remaining on the ground? Kick it to the boundary and let the ruck take it over the line! Every time we kicked it in we went near the corner of the square - CRAZY, not smart at all. Hope this gets pulled apart in the review cos it cost us a goal in the first, third and a point in the second (should of been a goal).

Is this a direction from the coach to be more attacking? Surely they know tempo footy by now. I can accept the tiring and poor skills but this is basic football knowledge.

Was Kennedys disposal as bad as Finns when he left?

I know I didn't care that Kennedy left at the time because I thought he couldn't kick over a jam tin... I just hope that Finn turns into this type of player
Apart from being father / sons, they are completely different footballers and shouldn’t be compared. JK was a much more natural footballer but was stuck behind one of the greatest midfields of all time.

We are seeing why Finn wasn’t gifted games these past few seasons unfortunately, but there’s still something there to work with I feel.

The thing that annoyed me the most about today was that at the end of every qtr with 30-50 seconds left on the clock we had a kick out and we gifted them a shot on goal every time.

How hard is it to know the time remaining on the ground? Kick it to the boundary and let the ruck take it over the line! Every time we kicked it in we went near the corner of the square - CRAZY, not smart at all. Hope this gets pulled apart in the review cos it cost us a goal in the first, third and a point in the second (should of been a goal).

Is this a direction from the coach to be more attacking? Surely they know tempo footy by now. I can accept the tiring and poor skills but this is basic football knowledge.
It was clear we ran out of steam at the end of every quarter. Even though we had periods on top, obviously in the 1st, but also the 2nd and 3rd, Sydney took control of the last 5 minutes of the quarters and were just peppering away at the goals. Conceding became almost inevitable.

Honestly I think what today showed us that Sam has done a stellar job to get us to 3/3 this season with the obvious issues in our list (midfield looking in your general direction).

I doubt many other coaches could have got a team whose core midfield consists of a couple of mid sized, mid paced accumulators and an exciting but raw mid season rookie to that kind of record.

So the positive is I think we have a good coach (glass half full thinking here)
Love his presser again . No messing around, no excuses , no deflection .
Despite how messy it all was we have a belter of a coach .

Just need to back him in when we have these downs in performance

We really need some adjustments to midfield and have no marking FF. The backline still held for much of the match - but gee how much can they cope. Some of the seniors should have taken those kicks (Michelle and Wingard). When it is your mark take the responsibility specially as a senior.
We have what we have as far as our midfield goes.
Its a real weak area and we have drafted to rectify it but it'll take time.

They bashed us after 1/4 time and we had no answer , hopefully fast forward 12 months and we have a really good unit working in there .

Can’t play Finn as outside player until he is a better kick play him inside on Petracca or Oliver and let him feed it out to our better kicks (really he isn’t on his own here). He is an inside mid and has a big frame. Hopefully we see this before the season is done

Started like a house on fire in the first 15 minutes, but then Sydney controlled the game but it just took a long time for them to translate it onto the scoreboard.

Mills absolutely destroyed us and Ladhams also had a field day.

Bottom line is until we have a more talented and deeper midfield then winning games of footy will be an uphill battle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back