Prediction Round 6, 2023 : Changes vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting choice to bring Shuey back so soon. I can't help wondering if he's thinking "Screw it, if my hammy dies, it dies. I'll accept I'm cooked and retire so they can pick another kid in the MSD."
If He Dies Ivan Drago GIF

Good on Shue, putting his hand up. He knows the end is near. Him playing means we can take a “conservative” approach re Long and Hough. They are the future. Fingers crossed a one week break will freshen them up and they’ll be back next week 👍

The team is the best we can do in the circumstances. XON… well the writing is on the wall, but hey, if he is sub who knows, he could come on and show something.

Listened to simmo on 6pr tonight.

Papalia asked why XON was omitted given the injury list and it was basically due to him being an on baller but playing out of position...

....if they view him as an onballer then why is gaff in there?
I'll take "credits in the bank" for 500 thanks Alex

Good on Shue, putting his hand up. He knows the end is near. Him playing means we can take a “conservative” approach re Long and Hough. They are the future. Fingers crossed a one week break will freshen them up and they’ll be back next week

The team is the best we can do in the circumstances. XON… well the writing is on the wall, but hey, if he is sub who knows, he could come on and show something.

It’s like Dermott Brereton’s analogy: if your car is gettin old and you’re not sure how reliable it is any more, you can trade it in while it still has some value or you can just keep it and drive it until it stops. That could be at any time, and you’ll get nothing for it.

Looks like Shuey is is content to be driven until he conks out… And he’s not the only one. We don’t have a lot of options any more.

And what might be a stupid question: might we not get the best value out of XON (or even West) by making him a straight out, no-nonsense, nothing else but, stopper/tagger – like Ryan Crowley or Cameron Ling? Worth a try?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Papalia asked why XON was omitted given the injury list and it was basically due to him being an on baller but playing out of position...

I get that but thats also Trew. I’d go as far as saying that XON has more versatility to his game that Trew.

That said xons had a few cracks at it and hasn’t grasped his chance.

Love all the young mids getting games but with a lot of mids in the 22 it also make it very difficult for a lot of them to get a look in the guts. Trew Has looked bice in the wafl games I’ve seen but for me he doesn’t look like the player that will offer much playing outside or HFF. I’d also say Edwards looks he deserves more minutes inside and I’d love to see us pumping games into culley in there.

Perhaps with do we manage Ginbey this week and play him off a back flank like the talk in the preseason was?

I’m worried that if Trew doesn’t get enough looks at CBAs he may rot on a flank and get dropped this game.

Given we’ve picked 5 recognised forwards I’d be interested to see Culley spend more time on a flank because I think he’s actually got some ability in the forward half.

I’m worried that if Trew doesn’t get enough looks at CBAs he may rot on a flank and get dropped this game.

Given we’ve picked 5 recognised forwards I’d be interested to see Culley spend more time on a flank because I think he’s actually got some ability in the forward half.
I assume they’re worried about him being too slow to apply pressure, otherwise Culley to the forwardline seems perfectly logical for periods of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing Clark on a wing and Gaff on ball just needs explaining by Simo.

Gaff is not an inside mid but we keep playing him there.

XON is done

Interesting. We have 3 tall emergencies but the actual 22 is not tall enough to match up with the Port.
Some innovative change strategies in the next 24 hours?

Edit: Port missed two tall players too.

This is one of our shortest teams in a long time.

Port also with talls out.

I often thought we play too tall. This week we may be too short.

Last edited:
XON is done

As I said on the pod last night, he’s a bit of a victim of the current arrangements for naming the team. He’ll almost certainly be the sub tomorrow. If the AFL required sides to name a 23-man squad including a 5-man bench, and then appoint the sub from the five on the bench, he wouldn’t be listed as an omission and none of this talk about his career would be happening.

Hardwick said something similar when Cotchin was “dropped” to be the sub, and Essendon avoided it by making Heppell a late out then the sub.

This game will go 2 ways...

1. like last year, belting and just gross

2. scrappy, half ok, decent effort loss similar to v Adel at AO last year.

Just cant see a win but would be amazing if we did.

Hopefully we can snag 12+ goals again

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
If it's close, we'll win (but I don't think that's likely).

Their defence is very poor other than Aliir. If we can manage him, then we'll be on top there.

Their forward line is weak with their outs this week. Our defence is OK and can match them.

Our midfield is poor and vastly outgunned. The only way I see us winning this is If our defence gets right on top and we can counter attack from defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back