Unofficial Preview Round 6 Changes vs. North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screw that. Get stuck into him and let him know he is in for hell.

Not at the expense of giving away free kicks though - thats why im more a fan of the verbal spray than pretending to fight because it only results in free kicks

Hoping Boomer plays mostly fwd, crowly needs to be kept accountable so he can't do his usual dodgy tactics.
Plus you will have your hands full with Nahas, LT and Adams on the small fwds front.

Tipping you guys will win but it won't be a flogging.

Every other team also has 2 ruckmen along with their 2 tall forwards.

We specifically recruited Gumby and Apeness because we wanted to play 2 tall forwards.

That's because playing 2 tall forwards has worked for 100 years and hasn't stopped working yet.

Hawthorn - McEvoy, Hale, Roughead, Gunston
Freo - Sandi, Clarke, Pavlich, Mayne

Hale is a much better forward than our rucks. Gunston is kind of like Mayne, just he is playing way better at the moment. But overall, Hawthorn's tall structure (ignoring defence) is similar to ours, with some playing better than ours and others not (eg. Roughead vs Pavlich).

It worked for us last year in the first 2 finals. I know Lake had a good GF, but our structure would have worked if our players didn't get stagefright.

You can't just plonk an extra key forward in there for the hell of it. If they are good enough, then sure, go for it. But if they are going to get 5 touches, with minimal pressure, then it becomes a liability.

I've never thought Gumby was a walk up start so we could specifically play 2 tall forwards. Obviously it gives us the option, but I thought it was more an extra backup plan for Pav in case the great man wasn't playing (either through injury/retirement). Apeness obviously for the future as well. If either of these guys can play alongside Pav and actually do well, then great. But there is a decent chance that Gumby would be in the WAFL right now even if he was fit.

Increasing scoring power doesn't mean "play an extra token tall forward who does basically nothing and hurts our defensive pressure". It comes from better execution; Pavlich playing a full season; the likes of Crozier improving; someone like Sylvia improving the whole side and letting say Fyfe spend more time forward. A lot of this hasn't happened.

On AFL 360 David King said that Harvey did not conduct himself with a great deal of dignity or integrity after he made the accusations against Crowley.Said something else about how for a 300 game player he wouldn't be very happy with how he conducted himself.
Suggested to me that we might not be the only ones who know he's a lying,snivelling,rat's-arsewipe.:rolleyes:

I'd swear that he said something along the line of... he's a champion player, or some such, that suggested he supported Harvey's side of the story without overtly saying that he was telling the truth... but it was last year. Wasn't as clear about it like Archer was (though Archer wasn't blatant or anything to be honest), but I'd swear he was tending to Harvey's side when it was a story last year.

Seems like half a 360 to me.

Nah unless he's changed his mind last year he was sitting next to that Archer moron saying that Crowley definitely would've done it.

What he said.

Not at the expense of giving away free kicks though - thats why im more a fan of the verbal spray than pretending to fight because it only results in free kicks

With Harvey it doesn't even need to be a spray. I'd suggest an ongoing niggle would be much harder for him to deal with. Thankfully, when Crowls isn't being his friendly, congratulatory tagging alter-ego he's more than capable of providing the necessary niggle to get into Boomer's head.

I'm pretty confident Boomer couldn't keep his sh!t together for a whole game against Crowley. But if Crowls has to tag another option then so be it. Ross won't let Crowls settle a score unless it'll benefit the team more than tagging another player (Dal Santo seems the obvious pick).

Would love to see Crowls drive Boomer insane. But I'd love us to beat them even more. Whatever gets us closer.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hale is a much better forward than our rucks. Gunston is kind of like Mayne, just he is playing way better at the moment. But overall, Hawthorn's tall structure (ignoring defence) is similar to ours, with some playing better than ours and others not (eg. Roughead vs Pavlich).

It worked for us last year in the first 2 finals. I know Lake had a good GF, but our structure would have worked if our players didn't get stagefright.

You can't just plonk an extra key forward in there for the hell of it. If they are good enough, then sure, go for it. But if they are going to get 5 touches, with minimal pressure, then it becomes a liability.

I've never thought Gumby was a walk up start so we could specifically play 2 tall forwards. Obviously it gives us the option, but I thought it was more an extra backup plan for Pav in case the great man wasn't playing (either through injury/retirement). Apeness obviously for the future as well. If either of these guys can play alongside Pav and actually do well, then great. But there is a decent chance that Gumby would be in the WAFL right now even if he was fit.

Increasing scoring power doesn't mean "play an extra token tall forward who does basically nothing and hurts our defensive pressure". It comes from better execution; Pavlich playing a full season; the likes of Crozier improving; someone like Sylvia improving the whole side and letting say Fyfe spend more time forward. A lot of this hasn't happened.

Yeah, good post. I was going to post similar. Depends on lots of things of course, but all things being equal, If you're playing a second tall fwd, they have to grab a good few contested marks and kick 1-2 goals per game minimum. They just have to give some output otherwise they're a liability. Bit simplistic, but that's the rub of it. With that in mind, I think Gumby would have been a likely 'walk up start', but only if he produced. Mind you, Gumby was also given a crash course in rucking during the pre-season. So even then RTB was hinting that only having one string to your bow (as a tall) might not be enough.

A couple of picky things with your post. Hale is not just 'much better' than our rucks as fwds, he is just miles ahead, at least on current form. Hale could almost play as a full time fwd if needed compared to our rucks. It's what we want Clarke and Griff to be, but they've yet to show it - though RTB has talked up Griff in that vein in the past before the injury hit.

As for Gunston - he's in better form than Mayne true, but he's also just that bit more creative and an outright scorer. Mayne in form is player who will take his chances and is top shelf in creating defensive pressure etc., but Gunston will find goals out of nowhere and is so sharp in open play. Point being, without looking at stats or anything, but again all things being equal, Gunston will give you significantly more outright scoring power than Mayne.

So overall, yeah structure is similar, but there's gives them more goal scoring power as it currently stands anyway.

Last edited:

Increasing scoring power doesn't mean "play an extra token tall forward who does basically nothing and hurts our defensive pressure". It comes from better execution; Pavlich playing a full season; the likes of Crozier improving; someone like Sylvia improving the whole side and letting say Fyfe spend more time
forward. A lot of this hasn't happened.

Hawthorn is the number one offensive side because they continually have a good spread of goal kickers. We need 1-2 goals from each of our midfielders each game. This, together with the output from our forwards, will see us scoring over 100 points in most games.

hi Bigeasy, bushie here.

* me Bushie , how are ya? Well I didn't think you would listen to my plea:D

All the best this week, I reckon your lads will be too good....AGAIN

Sent from my waffle machine using Tapatalk.

Last edited by a moderator:
**** me Bushie , how are ya? Well I didn't think you would listen to my plea:D

All the best this week, I reckon your lads will be too good....AGAIN

Sent from my waffle machine using Tapatalk.

Still kickin matey.

Unlike you to come over all noble and PC old son ;) Some woman straightened you out?

No harm intended, but some pretty rough stuff on your board and it aint the place to return fire, so I thought that I'd rustle a few jimmies over here and see who bit ;) :D

I think that the selection formula in play is; which player best combines forward duties with occasional ruck duties? At the moment it is Clarke but he has zero competition. If any of Griffin, Bradley, Apeness or Gumbleton show form as forwards it will be interesting.

Chris Mayne is 188cm. He is not a tall forward. If you were going to compare him to a Hawthorn forward then the more accurate comparison is to Puopolo. Like Mayne, he is primarily there for his defensive pressure but he chips in for a few goals now and then.

What's the difference? Opposition teams can cover Mayne with any player they like. They don't have to send a tall to him. So they can feel free to have their talls double-team Pavlich all day. That's the difference between a tall forward and any other forward like Mayne.

Unlike most other teams who play 2 talls and 1 defensive forward, we play 2 defensive forwards and 1 tall. Coincidentally (?) we are one of the lowest scoring teams of the league and close to last for inside 50 conversions.

Last edited:

Hale is a much better forward than our rucks. Gunston is kind of like Mayne, just he is playing way better at the moment.
"Kind of like"? Gunston has six centimetres on Mayne and is a much more dangerous forward. There's no kind of like about it.

Keep up the personal attacks gents. One day you might have a player as good as Harvey.
I'd be jealous too if he didn't play for my team

865233-brent-harvey.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back