Game Day Round 6- Eagles v Carlton at Docklands- Juddgement Dday

Remove this Banner Ad

II- The Season So Far: Dimly Aware of a Certain Unease in the Air

APRIL is the cruellest month in football. With the exception of September obviously, and probably August as well. May, June and July aren’t flash either. In fact, don’t you miss pre-season, when there was none of this crippling pressure and analysis of failure and speculation and rumour and innuendo and WHY CAN’T WE KICK GOALS NO ONE WINS GAMES WITHOUT KICKING GOALS.. *I lean away from the keyboard to breathe*

Pre-season optimism and early season form came crashing to a halt in April for the Eagles, and even earlier than that for Carlton. After a 3-0 start against competition heavyweights Footscray, Melbourne and St Kilda, the Eagles elected to go with a no-goals policy, having kicked quite a few in the first few rounds. At odds with conventional wisdom it may have been, but the Eagles pulled it off superbly, posting an astonishing no goals in the last three quarters of the game against Geelong. The game against Port saw more shots at the big sticks, but not too many more going through.

The media all over the country were heaping praise on the team, but I think many of us still saw warning signs in those early games, particularly with our ball movement and number of marks inside 50. Everyone is jumping off again [we’re still forth, by the way… somehow], and it’s clear that now the real work begins, with a challenging period leading up to and straight after the bye. New coach Adam Simpson understands this, and said in his most recent press conference “One day you’re the most important person who ever lived. The next day you’re some shmo working in a box factory”.

With that convenient lead-in and blatant reuse of an earlier joke, our opponents for the week are the Navy Blues. They finally won their first game for the season against the Bulldogs this week, in a much improved performance from their first month, which culminated in a loss to the Demons in Round 4. Mick Malthouse and the team are under a lot of pressure to get the Blues rolling, and they will see the Eagles as a team they can beat, despite their new injuries on the weekend.

Strap yourselves in; it’s going to be a blockbuster! Boy oh boy WOWEE!

III- A Game of Chess

Where is this game going to be won?

West Coast in 2014:
16th in Centre Clearances
12th in Inside 50s
16th in Marks inside 50

Carlton in 2014:
16th in Uncontested Possessions
14th in Disposal Efficiency
13th in Inside 50s
7th in Marks inside 50
4th in Clearances

There are a few statistics that stand out when looking at the two teams and one of them is the efficiency of taking marks when going inside 50. Where West Coast is mid table in inside 50s, with a tall forward line that is supposed to wreak havoc, they are almost dead last in marks inside 50, a terrible return per entry. Carlton on the other hand is about the same level for getting the ball in, but takes a lot more marks when they do, but only winning 1 game for the season

The Blues have an issue with getting their hands on the ball outside the stoppages, with a question mark over their fitness early in the season. They are good at getting the ball out of the centre however, where the Eagles despite having a strong ruck division haven’t won many centre square duals in 2014.

One issue that has been on the agenda for the Eagles is the situation with the talls. After playing three rucks in the first three weeks, Callum Sinclair and Scott Lycett have been sent back to tear up the WAFL while the Cox-Naitanui combo battles away, without the influence of years past to this stage. This appears to be a more balanced setup, because the marks weren’t coming inside 50 despite all the talls, and adding an extra runner should help.

That leads to the other obvious Achilles heel of this West Coast side- the midfield. There are a lot of B-graders in the team, but no A-grade game breakers, and that is probably the biggest issue that Simpson and the match committee have to try and address. There is no quick fix for 2014, but the midfield has some young players that are still coming into their prime- the question remains if they can reach the levels required to carry this team to the heights it’s aiming for. Flexibility was the mantra at Hawthorn when Simpson was there, and already this season we have seen Elliot Yeo, Xavier Ellis, Jack Darling, and Brad Sheppard in at the centre bounces, in an attempt to have more players rotating through to try and compensate for the lack of true top end talent. It hasn’t worked, yet, but the game plan is still new.

IIII- Teams, Changes and Injuries

<Teams to be names on Thursday, information below is all rumour and innuendo, which are kinds of evidence>

Mentioning injuries is a mugs game, but there have been some players out for both sides lately. Carlton copped a triple blow with Judd in his return game lasting only 6 minutes. Ed Curnow slammed into the goalpost, which was lucky to escape with no suspension (first Glass and now this!!! /robbo) but Curnow will now miss significant time. Tom Bell went off injured as well, and won’t return possible until after the bye.

Xavier Ellis wasn’t able to be put back together again by all the Kings horses and all the Kings men, so JD needs to lift his game. Unfortunately it looks like X-man will miss this week, but the club is hopeful to have him back soon. No other injury news at the time this goes to air, I hear rumours about Wellingham missing but I can’t see the future so… On the suspension shirtfront, courageous skipper Darren Glass was shattered to be given a one match ban for a perfectly legal bump. You may have missed this one; it didn’t get a lot of hysterical handwringing coverage in the media during the week.

On the chopping block, I would suspect Josh Hill and Jamie Cripps would want to put in a lot of effort on the track. Lack of options in their position may save them this week. Dom Shred is still adjusting to the tempo, but again there isn’t anyone knocking down the door for his spot.

VX- Matchups and Key Players

Marc Murphy v Scott Selwood- Without his usual bunny in Chris Judd to head to, Scooter should be looking to lock down on Murphy. The Carlton skipper had a very good game against the Bulldogs, gathering possessions at will, laying 12 tackles and booting two goals. When he is allowed space he can be very dangerous, and giving Scooter a tough job should get him involved in the game as well, after a few down weeks

Eric MacKenzie v Lachie Henderson- Five goal hero Henderson is the obvious target for Extra Defendzie, who had a reasonable game against the Sergeant, although he kicked two goals. One of the most reliable key defenders in the competition, Mackenzie has battled well this season against a rampant Nick Reiwoldt, and other players who probably are alright too. Henderson would do very well to repeat his Bulldogs form against a tougher opponent.

Chris Yarran v Elliot Yeo- Not sure if this matchup will eventuate, it depends where Yarran is played, but it’s not Adam Selwood so I won’t be having nightmares come Saturday night.

Andrew Carrazzo v Matt Rosa- I don’t expect either of them to be within 20m of each other, even if they’re playing on the same wing. Loose ball kings, Rosa is having a fantastic season however, a very important link in the transition from defence to attack, knows the right spots to run to.

Other key players for both sides include Andrew Walker, who continues to get a lot of ball in a variety of positions, and is one of Carlton’s most consistent performers. Dale Thomas is also moving somewhere towards his best form, and has a good record against the Eagles. Bryce Gibbs has been hot and cold, with a contract still yet to be signed, and is another one who can get off the leash.

For the Eagles, Jack Darling has been prowling the midfield and forward-line in dominant fashion, kicking goals and taking names. Luke Shuey is still hovering around the edges of playing great football, and could be one to watch against Carlton. Jamie Bennell has had a ripping start to the season, contrary to the expectations of many, and his pace and vision out of defence has been a rare bright spark in the last fortnight.

VI- Predictions

Highest goalkicker- Josh ‘The guy with the funny set shot action’ Kennedy to get his radar back on track with four goals.
Brave references- 11
Marks taken by Naitanui- 0
Times Glass’s suspension is mentioned- 23
Final Score FFS! - West Coast 10.15.75 d Carlton 7.10.52 jubilantmasto.jpeg

Have at it.
Best preview so far, great way to start my day. Thanks

Not sure where I should post this but for those who live in the Perth northern suburbs, a couple of your old boys in Daniel Kerr and Andrew Embley are having a kick for Whitfords in the A Grade Ammos this week. Dean Cox's brother will be playing as well.

Bounce down is a 5.30pm saturday at McDonald reserve in padbury.

Best of luck for the weekend.

Cheers

Not sure where I should post this but for those who live in the Perth northern suburbs, a couple of your old boys in Daniel Kerr and Andrew Embley are having a kick for Whitfords in the A Grade Ammos this week. Dean Cox's brother will be playing as well.

Bounce down is a 5.30pm saturday at McDonald reserve in padbury.

Best of luck for the weekend.

Cheers

Cheers i know Kerr and Embers played for maddington a few weeks ago also.

The Blues confirmed on Monday that Judd will miss five weeks with a hamstring injury, while Curnow will miss six weeks after fracturing his fibula.

Bell will require surgery on a fractured finger and will be out for three to four weeks, Jamison might be out as well and a few others so the Eagles should smash us, too many injuries.

Bell and Curnow out means we need more inside ball winners - those two would comfortably hand us the ball a dozen times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

getting a bit tired of reading players quotes about how theyre gonna fire up next week, or it was just one of those games, or one of those weeks, thats footy, or feel bad by a stupid incident and letting the team down and will repay next week, or for getting injured by a trampoline and want to repay the club etc etc etc..its professional football, these guys get paid to kick straight, to kick well, and to kick goals and hit players on the tit!? half them cant do that simple drill outside of training.
how can a professional footballer miss a 30m set shot????????? its like the bermuda triangle!
a mystery.
we better beat carlton, am getting weary of all the hype and club propaganda. if we lose i may adopt the Wingard sook face as my avatar..maybe not. thats NOT a good look!
on an upnote , seems Lecras and Hurn at training, back for the Pies game or before?

!
we better beat carlton, am getting weary of all the hype and club propaganda. if we lose i may adopt the Wingard sook face as my avatar..maybe not. thats NOT a good look!
on an upnote , seems Lecras and Hurn at training, back for the Pies game or before?

I've been trying to find a picture of that face all week!

I predict WC will give Carlton a hiding this week and effectively finish Mick Malthouses (Brilliant I might add) coaching career, Kennedy to star with 7 goals and Masten to have 35 possessions and 2 goals to further add insult to the Judas trade.
Before Malthouses tenure finishes, he will have an unrepairable argument with Chris Yarran where by Yarran walks out on the club and comes to WC for next to nothing to star in premiership glory with his old mate Naitanui.
Buddha reckoned that with our thoughts we make the world. Well there you go Buddha I've had the thoughts, now make it bloody happen!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back