Unofficial Preview Round 6 Early Thoughts - Sydney vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like this. Goodes at FF would take a lot of heat off Franklin without pushing Goodes too hard. No way can a defender not have that in the back of their mind. Do they play in front and risk having the ball get over the back where Goodes is a master at the ground ball ? Do they play behind and risk having Goodes crash his considerable weight into their back ? Heck, who's got time to worry about Buddy ? Which one draws the number one defender ? They can't double up on both.

Sound plan but you play the percentages double team buddy and have one defender on goodes in his first game back.

If he was in his stride then yeah its a massive dilemma but the fact is its very rare someone returns to the game in form.

And then even if goodes was in form you still play in front to prevent the mark you always try to intercept or bring the ball to ground at FB, never risk surrendering a set shot.

I think it has to do with roles. Previously he had to play the third tall role and be incredibly defensive. His natural game is as an attacking HB. He did this very well in the Twos and delivery was great when he was streaming out of defence. Interesting now that Laids is there he can play his natural flashy game and his disposal has improved immensely. Loved how he took them on, he is quite quick and has a great body for breaking tackles and did so last weekend. He will only get better in this role because it is more natural to his game. Still very good defensively but his attacking game is sensational.

I was stunned to see him hitting targets. I'd do my natural cringe then open my eyes and there would be the ball in the arms of a Swan. I soon gathered enough courage to actually watch his disposals. They flew straight and true. Again I marvelled at how this could be. So I sobered up and watched it again. Same thing. I stopped using drugs and watched it while I shook and sweated. Again the same thing. So I got a lobotomy, removed all my prejudices about Rampe and had a failed med student rebuild my frontal lobes from leftover stem cells he found in his Big Mac. Same thing. He really was hitting targets.

Why do I keep thinking I'm a hamburger ?

Sound plan but you play the percentages double team buddy and have one defender on goodes in his first game back.

If he was in his stride then yeah its a massive dilemma but the fact is its very rare someone returns to the game in form.

And then even if goodes was in form you still play in front to prevent the mark you always try to intercept or bring the ball to ground at FB, never risk surrendering a set shot.
Granted but it takes pressure off Buddy. Goodes has so much natural talent. One or two nice plays from Goodes and their defenders will be looking over their shoulders, second guessing themselves.

Granted but it takes pressure off Buddy. Goodes has so much natural talent. One or two nice plays from Goodes and their defenders will be looking over their shoulders, second guessing themselves.

Yeah and then when if they go long to goodes and he marks it one out that's when the real issues start do you double team goodes or buddy.
Throw an extra man back in defence?

Do you you pull a tagger of a mid and have him zone off half fwd going ultra defensive?

Being frawley down back or use him as a swingman.

Or do you stick with it and put pressure on your fwd line to keep you in the game.

I'm sensing a late change with Reid travelling. A late change could make sense... Reid comes in for Derickx. Goodes plays just over half the game at FF and subs out and Reid comes in and plays his role. I think its a good way to get some game time into both of them.

Can someone tell me, is the area behind the goals at the Ponsford end general admission...I usually sit on level 2 but couldn't be bothered with the upgrade and am not sure where the GA at the G is these days?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North just beat Freo at home. Starting to think that despite our form in the game 2 weeks ago, GWS is now the only game that counts as a severe and embarrassing aberration. North and Pies both look like the real deal thus far.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

If you all think Norf suck then our win against Fremantle doesn't count for much at all. I'm (unfortunately) tipping Norf for top 6.

I wouldn't say that just yet, they are going better than us

So are 12 other teams, that doesn't mean those teams are all suddenly better than us.

It's a marathon and I think people get sucked in by early season form. That's not to say North won't continue their good run, but they'll need to do more than just start the season well before I'm convinced.

Also we are playing Melbourne. I don't see us bothering with the mind games against Melbourne.
They probably want to get him out of the fishbowl of Sydney to a place where he can be anonymous...........like Melbourne.

I like this. Goodes at FF would take a lot of heat off Franklin without pushing Goodes too hard. No way can a defender not have that in the back of their mind. Do they play in front and risk having the ball get over the back where Goodes is a master at the ground ball ? Do they play behind and risk having Goodes crash his considerable weight into their back ? Heck, who's got time to worry about Buddy ? Which one draws the number one defender ? They can't double up on both.
This scenario has me, for one, rubbing my hands with ghee.

I was stunned to see him hitting targets. I'd do my natural cringe then open my eyes and there would be the ball in the arms of a Swan. I soon gathered enough courage to actually watch his disposals. They flew straight and true. Again I marvelled at how this could be. So I sobered up and watched it again. Same thing. I stopped using drugs and watched it while I shook and sweated. Again the same thing. So I got a lobotomy, removed all my prejudices about Rampe and had a failed med student rebuild my frontal lobes from leftover stem cells he found in his Big Mac. Same thing. He really was hitting targets.

Why do I keep thinking I'm a hamburger ?
Loving your work Bungee. Keep it up!:thumbsu:

That he has brought so many Swans people with him to the Demons is a compliment for our club I guess. How are Demons people perceiving Roos' first 6 months at the club?
Initially, there were certainly some worries about what motivated him in the job. Money is what made him take it, but would that be enough to keep him motivated. Turns out he's looking the opposite of Blight at St Kilda, seems to love being on AFL 360 and throws himself into community initiatives often. All in a red and blue polo shirt. I see why he was so valuable to the Swans, he teaches the players to not only play football, but what a positive impact that they can have on the people and city around them. If we start getting belted he may get cold feet, but I think it was a matter of getting him back into coaching under the guise of a succession plan that counted. Maybe the addiction is back...

In short, we love him. He's a top bloke.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/me...s-for-first-time/story-fndv8pdq-1226896140632

Here's an article you might like.

Great to see Goodes back in the team. It's been a weird period seeing the team run our without him. Not liking the Buddy knee talk - especially after his accident. Geez this season has been one angst creating story rolling into another.

Interesting reading Roos' comments today. "Buddy is no Lockett", "I have no emotional attachment to the Swans." "One day I'll catch up with Colless", "What happens when I finish here, is it Sydney, Melbourne or Fitzroy – I don't know, I can't answer that question".

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/buddy-franklin-will-never-match-tony-lockett-says-paul-roos-20140425-zqzei.html#ixzz2zwWR0mEx

Cheers for that, Roos. Still haven't made that phone call yet I see. While you're at it, anyone else in the club's admin you want to start a 'til death do us part' feud with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back