Liverpool
Round 6

Melbourne Demons vs Sydney Swans @ MCG

Saturday 26th April

Match Info:

5:30pm – Gates Open

7:40pm - Game Starts

Broadcast Guide: http://www.afl.com.au/broadcastguide

Weather: Mostly Sunny. Max of 22. 70% chance of rain.

Previous Meetings:

Round 15, 2013 @MCG. Melbourne 85 def by Sydney 116

Round 8, 2012 @ SCG. Sydney 138 def Melbourne 37.

Round 1, 2011 @ MCG. Melbourne 84 drew Sydney 84.

After the first month of the season, the Swans were 1-3, with Fremantle on the way, many critics and fans were already writing the season off, with many predicting us to be 1-4 after the Freo game. But what we saw on the weekend was a side determined to win and do it at all costs. It was the Swans of old. Led by herculean efforts by Ben McGlynn and Josh Kennedy, the Swans were able to upset the Dockers by 17 points.

Melbourne on the other hand were written off before the start of the season, despite a new coach and many new additions, led by former Crow Bernie Vince. 3 losses to start the season, including GWS, wasn’t the perfect way to prove the critics wrong. But a huge upset against Carlton 2 weeks ago, led by Nathan Jones and defender-cum-forward James Frawley, put some life into their campaign. They got close to defeating Gold Coast on the weekend, losing by 8 points, but the scoreline flattered them, with the Suns booting 11.20.

No doubt most of the talk in the lead up to this game will be about Paul Roos and his first game coaching against the Swans, coached by his former right hand man John Longmire. It is interesting to note that Roos’ largest Swans defeat was against Melbourne, back in 2010, which was 73 points and was a game where, after it, many people predicted the fall of the Swans and the rise of the Demons. Fast forward 4 years and neither of those predictions came close to fruition.

But there’s no doubt you can see the influence Roos is having on the Demons, in the players and in the game style. They are now playing a possession style of footy, not troubled to kick the ball around for a bit then go forward. Players like Dom Tyson, James Frawley and Lynden Dunn are all playing great footy and are thriving playing under Paul Roos. It also seems Roos isn’t afraid to throw the rookies in for a game with Alexis Georgiou and Jay Kennedy-Harris debuting this year, with Christian Salem a chance to make his debut this weekend after brilliant form in the VFL.

The Swans could be boosted with the return of star forward Kurt Tippett after getting through the reserves unscathed while Adam Goodes might still be a week away. The return of Tippett, as well as the nearby returns of Goodes and Sam Reid will complete the forward line all us Swans fans have been longing to see this year. Jake Lloyd made his debut last weekend as the sub and would be stiff to be dropped after providing some nice touches and good tackling pressure when he came on.

Key Players

Melbourne: Nathan Jones

Nathan Jones, older brother of Sydney’s Zak, has been Melbourne’s best player this season, averaging 29.6 disposals a game as well as 5.8 tackles a game. If the Swans can curtail his influence then that will go a long way to winning the game. Ben McGlynn could possibly go to Jones or a head to head matchup with Josh Kennedy could be on the cards.

Sydney: Josh Kennedy

Kennedy was best afield last weekend, collecting 38 disposals and kicking a goal. Against a side with names like Jones, Vince, Cross and Tyson, first use of the ball will be crucial. If Kennedy can get in and extract to our outside players like he has been doing so well this season, then that will go a long way to a Swans victory.

Prediction

Swans by 41

Last edited:
For the first time this year we have a dilemma - the possibility that we will have to fit in best 22 player/s into a winning side.

Tippett will almost certainly come in you would think but not sure at who's expense, pains me to say but LRT looks shaky.
If Mitchell is fit for midfield duties he starts, BJ or Lloyd will go out. Mitchell mustn't be played as a small forward.
Goodes if fit might go green vest, can't see they are going to send him to the Qld outback for a gallop, again BJ or Lloyd will make way.
After reading all the reports on Nankervis, he must be getting close to displacing Derickx but can't see tht many changes in one week.
ROK, sorry but there's no spot for him.

Interesting dilemma but we have to have guys like Tippett, Goodes, Mitchell on song by the time we meet Hawthorn in three weeks May 9th.

Tippett won't be relied upon to ruck straight away, I assume, after such conservative treatment of his knee. Eventually, he will but not first senior game back.

Derickx I thought applied himself tremendously in taking on Sandilands. He had to give us something physically in that area and he did.

It sounds like Nankervis was great in the reserves but surely we need to see at least another performance like that for him get a game in the seniors. LRT might be asked to ruck next week given Melbourne use smaller 2nd options atm, but for now we can't expect Tippett to ruck just yet.

Agree LRT must play, and liked the look of young Lloyd.

So if Tippett returns, Brandon is the one who should make way.

After how active and energetic we were last night, I'd hate to see the team get bigger and slower. By that I mean I wouldn't like to see a tall like Tippett brought in for a small like Brandon Jack. We seemed to strike a balance that worked last night so I hope it is kept for the short term at least.

So if Tippett comes in, drop Derickx or LRT (both of whom I think have value while Tippett is getting back into the swing of things and potentially might not be rucking for a little while). I think grimlock is correct in saying LRT's versatility is too valuable to drop and even though I don't like him rucking, perhaps we can get away with him doing 20 minutes a game for the next two weeks while Tippett runs himself into some fitness.

Sorry to intrude but I watch a lot of sydney games and just wanted my 2 cents . I don't think it's any coincidence you guys played a lot better without Mitchell and ROK in the team. If you play them both there just seems to be too many guys the same - jack, hannebery, Mitchell, ROK , Parker, Kennedy all play similar midfield roles. Resting too many of these in the forward line isn't great as they aren't natural forwards either. It the forces hannebery to play almost a pure outside role which doesn't suit him. He played much better today when given a more inside role.

These guys took us to a prelim last year, I see where your coming from & unfortunately I can't see ROK joining the 300 club, all the rest are best 22.

Agree LRT must play, and liked the look of young Lloyd. So if Tippett returns, Brandon is the one who should make way.

Nope, you can't bring in a tall for a zippy small, got to be like for like. So Tippett in LRT out or Derickx out and then LRT does the relief ruck role against the next two opponents who have weak ruck divisions.

With our form at the moment, I'm not confident resting players yet, yes we are playing Melbourne but we need to approach it as if it were a final.

Yesterday was the first game we played with any real intensity , the players need time together to build this form and get confident with each other again. I'd like to see the team more stable and playing consistant footy before we rest players .

Yes , if they are unfit to play then rest them but if they can get through a game, we need to push through and get this season on track

Derickx needs more time to develop. I think he's a year away. Tippett in for him would be a huge plus for us.

And IMO any talk of resting anyone is crazy at this point. Any team that has won less than half its games should not be talking of resting. Any team that has lost to GWS should not be disrespecting any opponent.

Melbourne and Brisbane the next 2 weeks is the perfect fortnight for Buddy and Kurt to finally get some time together. Hopefully they both kick a lot of goals and go into the Hawthorn game full of confidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The back 6/7 looked to take a step forward last night , Laidler ( only 4th game for the club and getting better each week and getting used to game plan , team etc etc ) might lack leg speed a little but he makes up for it with his composure and ball use as he rarely makes a bad decision so he shouldn't be dropped ( flogged Mayne last night ) and with him in the side it means Macca is back in the midfield and adds another rotation, pushing forward and hitting the scoreboard ( another goal kicking midfielder is a bonus with macca back in there).
Rampe has taken over AJs role and Laidler has taken over Mattner and that's how it should stay , 7 defenders like we always have gone with should stay as don't want another misshap ala Pies game.
I don't see how you can play Mitchell and ROK in the same side , both are similar inside mids and lack leg speed and are not small forwards , BJ is zippy and has far better defensive pressure and will love crumbing off Tippett.

Laidler impact on rampe is good

I know you bag him at times punts but i liked shaws game as it went on yesterday

Laidler wouldnt play if aj was fit but the defence was stellar last night

Ted best game in a while in fact the ted reg teamwork as top notch

Laidler impact on rampe is good

I know you bag him at times punts but i liked shaws game as it went on yesterday

Laidler wouldnt play if aj was fit but the defence was stellar last night

Ted best game in a while in fact the ted reg teamwork as top notch
Regarless of AJ but agree they need to stay with the 7 defenders like we have always done bar the pies game

I though LRT was excellent yesterday (was at the game), especially first quarter. I was surprised to se he only had 9 touches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I though LRT was excellent yesterday (was at the game), especially first quarter. I was surprised to se he only had 9 touches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He does a lot of grunt work

If Tippett comes back he should definitely not be rucking for at least a couple weeks, I get the bad feeling he will though. I know he'll be deemed fit by the medical staff but still you'd just be flirting with disaster. Derickx tries hard but isn't ready to be play ing seniors, just doesn't to enough atm, but we do look much better with 2 rucks. Maybe we can get away LRT pinch hitting for this one week or maybe he's the one to make way for Tippett.
If Tippett doesn't come back (or replaces LRT) Nankervis for Derickx, a taste of AFL will probably do more for him atm than Derickx, who needs to go find some good form.

I agree the balance is right, so Tall for Tall, Small for Small...if Mitchell comes back I'd imagine it would probably be for Lloyd or BJ. There's also talk of Goodes maybe returning as well, you get the feeling they may bring him straight back in....but he hasn't played any footy since round 13 last year, surely a half in the reserves is the only logical decision, 20 minutes as the sub wouldn't do much for him, unless they plan on playing him there for a few weeks. I'd rather they get some bigger reserves minutes into him, so he can come into the seniors fit and firing, playing 3-4 quarters.

lol have to wait till they upload the episode online tomorrow no way to watch it in Sydney :(
In summary:
- Contrast to weeks before, pressure acts an improvement from weeks before and pressure on the ball carrier improved.
- Stripped the assessment back, individually and how we wanted to be seen.
- Need to keep it up next week and beyond.
- Defenders and midfield, ball movement much better. Took more risks and brought it through the corridor more.
- Hands on the footy meant we could regain momentum when Freo made their run.
- Midfielders look to rove to Sandilands as he is so dominant and attempt to stop the influence of the opposition midfielders if they get it.

I like BJ in the side he is very smart and knows when to hit the crumbing ball at full pace which you cant teach ( seen glimpses last year of him hitting the packs ). I think he could be a little x factor player and will love it when Tippett comes in. After watching the replay he laid some really good tackles which then created turnovers up the ground and I cant see McGlynn moving from the midfield with the form he is in so BJ stays in for me as that crumbing forward.
I think the role Macca played last night is were he suited best HF/mid regardless of him being all aus last year he was only moved back last year due to R Shaw being out and now with Rampe attacking more and Shaw back Macca can go back to that HF/mid role and use his slick skills around the packs hand passes etc and he knows were the goals are , so that says to me the coaches are settling with the back 6/7 as they are atm.
I think we are starting to look a little more settled across the ground and still have Tippett , Goodes , Reid , Mitchell ,Rohan hope to come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back