Preview Round 8, 2024: St.Kilda v North Melbourne - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 4 May, 4.35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AFL is absolutely cooked. We are constantly treated with utter contempt and always have been. But hey, the big clubs are at the top and drawing huge crowds.

Spot on. 3 of the big 4 clubs and the 2 Sydney clubs in the top 8.

They’ve got exactly what they wanted.

(Going all conspiracy theorist here….) At least Gil was somewhat a Saints supporter, but it’s about to continue to get worse now that he’s out of power.

Spot on. 3 of the big 4 clubs and the 2 Sydney clubs in the top 8.

They’ve got exactly what they wanted.

(Going all conspiracy theorist here….) At least Gil was somewhat a Saints supporter, but it’s about to continue to get worse now that he’s out of power.
Offer Gil a position with us, and then burn the AFL to the f*cking' ground

I knew the appeal would fail so I’m not shocked.

But I lived in hope that common sense might finally be applied to a scenario involving our seemingly irrelevant club. Little bloke grabs big bloke. Big bloke lands on his head. No malice. Big bloke’s actions partially responsible for outcome. Big bloke’s easily concussed head ensures his head is concussed.

And the bastards can’t even slice a week off the original ridiculous penalty!

I’m as flat as a tack right now.

Take me home country roads indeed

I knew the appeal would fail so I’m not shocked.

But I lived in hope that common sense might finally be applied to a scenario involving our seemingly irrelevant club. Little bloke grabs big bloke. Big bloke lands on his head. No malice. Big bloke’s actions partially responsible for outcome. Big bloke’s easily concussed head ensures his head is concussed.

And the bastards can’t even slice a week off the original ridiculous penalty!

I’m as flat as a tack right now.

Take me home country roads indeed
I think the sentence being reduced by a week was what the greater majority of us had in mind...3 weeks is just absurd.
One rule for us, another rule for the others, and a free run for the favoured. It's bulls*it.

Well today just plain sucked. I mean, I get to watch all of those elitists down at training in their new fancy schmancy Brains Trust beanies and now Higgos ban is upheld - meaning the AFL is officially dead.
I'll tell you what TJ..........I reckon those new Brains Trust beanies looked pretty snazzy/snappy.

I must say I did hear the words "Fashion Baristas" coming from behind a bush !!!!!!!

From a distance....it looked like a Santa's Elves convention.

One of the beanies appeared to be rising like a souffle.........another from behind looked like he was a cardinal.

It was all a bit much !!!!!

It was hilarious.

:) :) :)

Bassett would have to commit Harkari too. They've gone all in and it runs deep. The whole project (coaches, fitness guys, etc.) even ex-players, would have to fall on their swords. That's A LOT of ego's.
I'm not saying it wouldn't happen, but I think the whole thing has been done to mitigate our past flightiness, and our willingness to throw babies and bathwater around willy nilly without a thought for consequence.
You're right though...I wouldn't bet MY house.
That prick down the road though 🤔

They don't have to because no-one is interested in the board any more. You have to have someone interested in spilling them.

A mixture of system & luck has somehow made our results "appear" competitive against stronger opposition.
It's been a weird ride.

His system holds up. It minimises other sides chances of beating us. When the system has too many kids and players who aren't able to stick to the system it starts to crack.

I think the sentence being reduced by a week was what the greater majority of us had in mind...3 weeks is just absurd.
One rule for us, another rule for the others, and a free run for the favoured. It's bulls*it.

Any time off for a legal tackle that just happened to concuss someone is too much. If you were going by the common sense approach where you want to start to phase out accidental acts that can cause head injuries, a week for an accidental act seems rough but less idiotic.

If this isn't now the standard for every act of accidental contact the AFL should get sued for derailing our season.

We couldn't saved 3 hours of everyone's time and a whole lot of angst if we'd given all the rational debate over Higgins a miss. Forget about seeking the opinions of a biochemist FFS.

We should've just gone down the good character route. Put Higgo up alongside the Brisbane show pony, Cameron. I don't think Higgin's has a rap sheet of half a dozen fines to his report card like Charlie.

Of course the result would've been the same because it's what the AFL wanted. But at least it would've saved us whole lot of false hope for natural justice.

We couldn't saved 3 hours of everyone's time and a whole lot of angst if we'd given all the rational debate over Higgins a miss. Forget about seeking the opinions of a biochemist FFS.

We should've just gone down the good character route. Put Higgo up alongside the Brisbane show pony, Cameron. I don't think Higgin's has a rap sheet of half a dozen fines to his report card like Charlie.

Of course the result would've been the same because it's what the AFL wanted. But at least it would've saved us whole lot of false hope for natural justice.

I wonder whether time taken to deliberate just shows how up in arms they were with this decision.

Between the weekly free kick count fiasco, the King suspension, the Charlie Cameron debacle, the Toby Green “nothing to see here” embarrassment, the so called expert journalists who said we were no good but are now bagging the s**t out of us because we’re no good, and this Higgins comedy, I reckon I’m done.

The AFL is absolutely cooked. We are constantly treated with utter contempt and always have been. But hey, the big clubs are at the top and drawing huge crowds.

Should have just done a few lines and inhaled copious amounts of bongs then taken a week off.

Shattered for Jack.

Just fold us and put us out of our 150 year misery.
Uh, you forgot about the crappy fixture - 4 out of the first 7 games interstate, short back to back breaks, 2 home games in the first 1/3 of the season…..

But you’re correct. We are here to make up the numbers, nothing more.
Absolute contempt. I’m really glad I’m going to miss a lot of games over the rest of the season, tbh I’m pretty much done for now.

Any time off for a legal tackle that just happened to concuss someone is too much. If you were going by the common sense approach where you want to start to phase out accidental acts that can cause head injuries, a week for an accidental act seems rough but less idiotic.

If this isn't now the standard for every act of accidental contact the AFL should get sued for derailing our season.
I agree.
It shouldn’t have been reduced - it should have been totally thrown out bc it was legal and there were so many mitigating circumstances.

I never thought there’d be a reduction. But I hoped common sense and sanity would prevail.

WTH is wrong with me? I should’ve known better. 🙄

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have some skillful players, but when the heat is on just for a little bit, we play like sunday little leaguers… hack kicks and hospital handballs galore..

Think we should really set up the midfield right for once.. if the 1st and 2nd disposal is clean, makes the whole chain cleaner..

Ruck - Campbell (Marshall is big bodied average mid, not a ruck)

Inside mid - Stocker, Steele (their job is to win the ball first no matter what, for too long we’re passive and reactive, then tackle to hurt without the ball)

Inside/outside - Dow / Windhager (spread and burst from congestion)

Wingers - Hill, Bonner (To stay only on the wing, not allowed to come inside unless needed)

And tell everyone, not allowed to bomb the ball unless you have to.. kick in front of forwards, and to their advantage for once. or don’t kick it at all.

Last edited:
All the preseason talk about how good we looked. How the standards were elite.

Now we're a few mids short of being a sure thing against north

FMD

I'll ask again... WTF did Brendan Goddard do to earn the right to be our midfield coach?

What makes Robert Harvey a good forwards coach? Holding Owens back from the midfield?.. yeah... na.
Agree to disagree, but Owens is not a natural inside mid to me, is a little messy skill wise and don’t have a midfielder’s instinct (hunting the ball, positioning, distribution, similar to Philipou).. In juniors was a small forward then played wing pushing forward in his draft year..

Probably should have just gone in with the pub test argument to be honest. Everyone you hear thinks it's an excessive penalty compared other similar ones, even this year. Consistency should be the baseline of any system.

Surely Collard plays now, there is
No one else.
Need to win this comfortably to prove we aren’t nearly as shithouse and irrelevant as they are.
Also, please turn up, I don’t want the media making fun of our s**t crowd number.

I really can't be bothered going this season. We aren't a fun watch.

Hopefully Mason is named, I believe the way he plays his role is more important to us than a lot of people think. Seems to be the consummate professional with regard to his fitness and preparation so can't see him coming back in the VFL, guess it'll come down to the structural integrity of his broken collarbone. Fingers crossed he and Max get up, and it'll be interesting to see if they give big Hayesy a run, personally I'd like to see him out there if he's fit enough.

Anyone got any decent intel on what is happening with Kings knee?

Is he in full training at the moment? Worried that it could be worse than first thought.

We have some skillful players, but when the heat is on just for a little bit, we play like sunday little leaguers… hack kicks and hospital handballs galore..

Think we should really set up the midfield right for once.. if the 1st and 2nd disposal is clean, makes the whole chain cleaner..

Ruck - Campbell (Marshall is big bodied average mid, not a ruck)

Inside mid - Stocker, Steele (their job is to win the ball first no matter what, for too long we’re passive and reactive, then tackle to hurt without the ball)

Inside/outside - Dow / Windhager (spread and burst from congestion)

Wingers - Hill, Bonner (To stay only on the wing, not allowed to come inside unless needed)

And tell everyone, not allowed to bomb the ball unless you have to.. kick in front of forwards, and to their advantage for once. or don’t kick it at all.

Steele and Marshall are no certainties to play. Both hobbled. Our midfield could be the worst ever put out in the AFL era this week. Campbell, Windy and then choose from Stocker, Sincs, Jiones, Ross etc. Windy has played maybe 3 above average midfield games so far. Jones and Ross look cooked. Dow only just got through the VFL. North have a lack of quality tall players but they have lots of mids.

This could be a very ugly match with Lyon locking it down like a prison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back