Game Day Round 8: Saint Kilda v West Coast 23rd May 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the worsfolds days I would have said Selwood wasn't. But he was probably in the top 10 most weeks and a big part of our better run in 2011/early 2012, you wouldn't have dropped him then necessarily.

But not now. Simmo has high expectations of the group, so if you aren't performing, then you will be overtaken by others very quickly. See Lycett/Sinclair as an example.

I have more concerns that hutch isnt droppable and Selwood is, for the main reason I think Selwood offers us far more flexibility moving forward.

It's not like Simpson has made a statement yet or anything.

Even after 3 weeks of a diabolical midfield performance he didn't make any serious changes to the side this year. Fortunately him backing his chargers in has surprisingly worked, he hasn't been put in the situation of dropping one of the boys club yet.

Even after 3 weeks of a diabolical midfield performance he didn't make any serious changes to the side this year. Fortunately him backing his chargers in has surprisingly worked, he hasn't been put in the situation of dropping one of the boys club yet.
He was pretty angry with them after round 1, gave them a chance, which they then responded with a better performance in round 2.
Edit: stupid iPhone, it posted before I finished. See my post below for my other gems of no value. :p

Round 3 was terrible, but since then we have performed considerably better.

Imo that means the message is giving internally is working. Prepared to give some guys a chance & back them to perform; but with clear directions that they need to get better.

I don't think that simmo rates colledge all that highly, otherwise we may have seen him after round 3. With hutch/Selwood both injured at that stage, it didn't leave us with much to bring in, so backing them in has shown some positive results.

He has done some things in that time though- obviously yeo to the midfield, pushing yeo to the HF, putting Wellingham back to HB. So for now I will back him in to find a use for Selwood.

You're right though, he has another conundrum now. But if Selwood comes back in & plays well, I don't think that it's necessarily a bad thing we force a Duggan type to go & show form in the wafl.

Er, he put Yeo in the midfield. That has been a pretty big change. He has also persisted with Duggan and Sheed before they were probably ready and they have contributed.

Er, he put Yeo in the midfield. That has been a pretty big change. He has also persisted with Duggan and Sheed before they were probably ready and they have contributed.

Er, we're talking about team selection, not tactics.

The question wasn't "What has Simpson done this year?". We're referring to the notion of Selwood being an automatic selection.

Er, we're talking about team selection, not tactics.

The question wasn't "What has Simpson done this year?". We're referring to the notion of Selwood being an automatic selection.

You don't think the two are interlinked? That's silly.

It's hardly a boys club. Selwood has been mostly injured since Simpson took over and Wellingham has been shown the door several times. So you're referring to Masten?

I agree with the sentiment that players shouldn't be automatic inclusions into a winning team in principle, but i don't really see the problem in this situation. Sure selwood has come straight in, but only at the expense of the injured sheed. which other midfielder would you have rather brought in? the badger or lucas? I think an under done selwood is still worth more to our team. I understand that colledge has been in reasonable form stat wise, but those who have watched his games seem to suggest his impact isn't quite as great as those stats suggest and he still has a ways to go as a midfielder. This being the case, as well as there being no wafl this weekend makes it seem more logical that we would bring selwood in, who would otherwise need to wait another week before getting any match fitness.

You don't think the two are interlinked? That's silly.

It's hardly a boys club. Selwood has been mostly injured since Simpson took over and Wellingham has been shown the door several times. So you're referring to Masten?

Masten, Selwood, Priddis, Gaff.

Sharron doesn't really count as Simpson making a statement. He was unfairly made an example of last year IMO and appeared to be an easy target and whipping boy. You could argue Masten put in his fair share of deplorable performances in 2014, and yet he never lined up for the Royals. Selwood has been s**t or injured for 2 years, Priddis is untouchable as we all know, Gaff has never gotten a clip....

I'm not saying all are required, but the point still stands. We're yet to see any sort of shake up in regards to those 4 players in team selection. Despite our midfield (up until 4 weeks ago) being an obvious basket case and our achilles heel to the entire AFL community.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sharron doesn't really count as Simpson making a statement. He was unfairly made an example of last year IMO and appeared to be an easy target and whipping boy. You could argue Masten put in his fair share of deplorable performances in 2014, and yet he never lined up for the Royals. Selwood has been s**t or injured for 2 years, Priddis is untouchable as we all know, Gaff has never gotten a clip....

I'm not saying all are required, but the point still stands. We're yet to see any sort of shake up in regards to those 4 players in team selection. Despite our midfield (up until 4 weeks ago) being an obvious basket case and our achilles heel to the entire AFL community.

It's funny you say Wellingham was hard done by and in the same breath say that Gaff and Masten should have been dropped, when there was a huge gulf in their relative outputs. Gaff has been consistently good other than the first half of 2014. Selwood has been fighting the same injury since 2014 has he not? Well in any case he has struggled to get on the park long enough to be dropped. Masten is the one who has escaped the blow torch somewhat but the reality is we haven't had the depth to drop someone like him really until now.

We've certainly attempted to trade in players to add to our midfield (Yeo, Conca, Coniglio, Matera, Christensen, Varcoe) over the last couple of offseasons but for whatever reason we've come up short. The notion that Simpson has backed in the current crop and is satisfied with personnel is somewhat of a misconception.

I am disappoint. It's annoying that there are definitely double standards with regard to selections.

"We'll be patient" .... In other words 'we are willing to carry this player despite knowing they're not ready'. You should only ever be doing that with your absolute most vital players.

Yeah, given the last couple of injuries to Scooter you'd think they'd play it safe on this one, especially given it's an away game. No real rush at this stage, just weird...

I think it's quite clear from the press conferences that Wellingham was being dropped because of what he was not doing when the opposition had the ball. Whatever Masten's faults with the ball I'm sure he would have been adhering to team structures much better.

Danger game.....hope the boys dont get ahead of themselves and take Saints easy.....

Definate danger game , as Adam Simpson said re : our round 1 game where the pace of the game at Etihad is up a level and we couldn't match WB on some of there counter moves . St Kilda have some pacy midfield types and this is the area we might struggle .

We should win , though upsets aplenty this season .

Definate danger game , as Adam Simpson said re : our round 1 game where the pace of the game at Etihad is up a level and we couldn't match WB on some of there counter moves . St Kilda have some pacy midfield types and this is the area we might struggle .

We should win , though upsets aplenty this season .

We have a decent record there so i am not worried but i agree we should not treat this game as an easy one.

Who would you have dropped Masten for?

McGinnity? F.k no.
Lucas? Hell no
Colledge? Possibly
All well and good having players who aren't performing that well but you can't just replace them with horrible players

Simpson basically just said he does get a free ticket being the vice captain. I dont mind him coming back too much if it wasn't for Hutchings being the team. Too much average.
Hutchings is a better kick though and at this stage probably fitter given injury and the fact he is a personal trainer outside of football. Selwood to sub is right I reckon

I'm not nearly as damning on Selwood as others around here.
I think because he gets lumped into the Masten/Priddis group of being slow and having inconsistent disposal.
I would say it goes to the fact that around the same time we introduced Selwood, Masten, Swift, ebert etc. Selwood had the dodgiest kick of that group with ebert a very close second. Since that time Selwood has really only had one great year, ebert has excelled, Masten has been a constant if only through good health and Swift is now medicating (maybe self....) the other glaring factor is JOEL. anyways this is all background stuff, in the now we have Duggan and Sheed who are more promising and others who can play the tagging role just as well as Selwood. He is in effect surplus to need and until he breaks out of his injury holding pattern we probably won't appreciate how good he was for that one season...

Football has a short memory and performance today surpasses yesterdays glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back