Preview Round 9, 2023 : Hawks v Demons, 4.35pm Sat 13th May

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee I really wonder what the deal is with Scrimshaw and the club is this season.

To my mind at least he has been good to very good the majority of games he has played for us the last three years and on natural talent alone would be in our top handful of players. Also been super consistent as well which is a quality I really rate.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the one game we have won this year against North Scrimmers played a blinder. Like CJ, when Jack plays well the team generally does as well.

We really don’t have the talent on our list to risk losing him to another club, that would be a terrible outcome.
Sam has said on multiple occasions that Scrimma is in our best 22

He is clearly struggling to get through games with turf toe and can only play limited minutes

He is clearly struggling to get through games with turf toe and can only play limited minutes
Yep. And the other thing is we keep having players out as “managed” then the questions of tanking will keep coming. Won’t hurt to have them as “omission”. Interesting to see who is “omitted” next week!

That's absolute rubbish.

I'm still in the 'give him time' camp, but I wouldn't call that post rubbish. It wasn't scathing or unreasonable. He got more exposure last season in a more successful side. I think we all expected him to improve on that and so far in 2023 he can't get a game in the bottom side.

We should acknowledge his deficiencies and honestly observe how he is working on them.

Last edited:

Scrimshaw isn’t as big of an issue as people are saying. I truly do not understand. The amount of contests he’s stood in front of to take a courageous mark… a squib he is not.

Sam has literally said he’s best 22 but the lack of consistency is due to injury.

Obviously not form related but I also highly doubt the club would’ve put scrimshaw up to be the first ‘in the day of’ if he was on the outer.

Last edited:
Yep. And the other thing is we keep having players out as “managed” then the questions of tanking will keep coming. Won’t hurt to have them as “omission”. Interesting to see who is “omitted” next week!
Stop giving any form of credence to the idiot journo who shall not be mentioned. We are rebuilding that’s the system you go down get picks play youth etc. funny how no other sides who have gone down the rebuild path are accused of tankingpost the kreuzer cup.

A bit laconic.

Repeated time at Box Hill could fix a poor attitude. Maybe he needs it if he can't give a hard crack in the seniors. We can't afford to carry lazy defenders.
Laconic means a style of speech using few words. Michael Tuck is an example of a laconic footballer who became captain and our games record holder for a time.

Gee I really wonder what the deal is with Scrimshaw and the club is this season.

To my mind at least he has been good to very good the majority of games he has played for us the last three years and on natural talent alone would be in our top handful of players. Also been super consistent as well which is a quality I really rate.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the one game we have won this year against North Scrimmers played a blinder. Like CJ, when Jack plays well the team generally does as well.

We really don’t have the talent on our list to risk losing him to another club, that would be a terrible outcome.
You know a few of us have had a go at explaining this to you 🤪

I'm still in the 'give him time' camp, but I wouldn't call that post rubbish. It wasn't scathing or unreasonable. He got more exposure last season in a more successful side. I think we all expected him to improve on that and so far in 2023 he can't get a game in the bottom side.

We should acknowledge his deficiencies and honestly observe how he is working on them.
Reasonable discussion on DGB is difficult around here. Certain posters respond hysterically to statements of the obvious. A number of posters reasonably suggested that his last AFL game wasn’t very good and were met with insults from other posters, right up until he was dropped from the side later in the week. It was odd.

Everyone wants him to be good. But he needs a lot of improvement and development. Using his fitness as one major issue, his fitness is nowhere near good enough to be a good AFL player in the modern game. It is a non negotiable

The optimism and belief in DGB seem to be based on two things:
1 He was drafted at pick 6
2 He plays for Hawthorn

The reality is that in three years he has done nothing to warrant this optimism other than what he showed in his first game three years ago vs GWS. That was still the best game he has played.
He lacks the strength, speed and height to ever be the sort of defender to play on the genuine key forwards. I doubt he will ever be able to put on the bulk and muscle needed. Some people are born that way. Just ask Tim O’Brien.
What he did seem to have Is athleticism but that seems to have deserted him.
He also seems to lack genuine football smarts. He should be able to pick up multiple possessions at VFL level as option when coming out of defence but always appears disinterested or too lazy to be that option.
There’s no doubt that his Covid affected draft class looks to be one of the most underwhelming ever. Maybe we just got unlucky to have such an early pick in such a poor draft year unlike 2004 when we got really lucky.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reckon most of that is a bunch of rot. 1 post and 1 snipe? Says it all.

Most posters on here are day traders and can't look past the last game. KPP players and midfielders generally take a different time line to develop. DGB is still young for his position and young in general at just turning 21. He's got mongrel and ability. If he needs time to develop that Box Hill, then so be it. He's far from the complete package.

We have list full of mids. Aside from ruckmen we have a handful of large players. Need a bunch of them on the list to provide depth and pressure for spots.

What i like best about DGB is he doesn't back down from anything. Great for the future to join the hard arsed ranks of Hardwick, Moore, Sicily, etc

Game will be much closer than people realize, Hawks last few years have pushed Melbourne each time they’ve played.

We usually step up against the good teams. s**t our dacks against the crap teams.

It's pretty infuriating if you ask me. Means our year is filled with honourable losses and embarrassing banana skins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laconic means a style of speech using few words. Michael Tuck is an example of a laconic footballer who became captain and our games record holder for a time.

Yep. He i think he looks laconic when he's playing well, but not the correct use of word for the topic at hand. What is a nicer word for when a player doesn't go hard at the ball? lazy?

If that is the case then don't play him until he is good to go. Put him on the injury list and remove all this conjecture. Simples.

Yep. He i think he looks laconic when he's playing well, but not the correct use of word for the topic at hand. What is a nicer word for when a player doesn't go hard at the ball? lazy?
This is the word you are after.
lackadaisical
adjective
1. without interest, vigor, or determination; listless; halfhearted:
a lackadaisical attempt.
lazy; indolent:
2. a lackadaisical fellow.

He should be able to pick up multiple possessions at VFL level as option when coming out of defence but always appears disinterested or too lazy to be that option.

What part of the line quoted above do you find "reasonable"?

It's certainly "scathing".

I know what you mean. Scrimshaw doesn’t appear to play with a sense of urgency which may be interpreted as being a bit lazy. The problem I have with that is that some great footballers look as if the game slows down when they have the football because they have great spatial awareness or vision. I don’t think Scrim is in that great category but plays in a similar way.

What part of the line quoted above do you find "reasonable"?

It's certainly "scathing".

He may appear that way to that particular poster. I don't agree with that part, but considering Denvers fitness issues I could see why a spectator may misinterpret those actions on field.

I know what you mean. Scrimshaw doesn’t appear to play with a sense of urgency which may be interpreted as being a bit lazy. The problem I have with that is that some great footballers look as if the game slows down when they have the football because they have great spatial awareness or vision. I don’t think Scrim is in that great category but plays in a similar way.
Without trying to rehash the whole debate. I don’t think the problem is what Scrim does when he has the ball. It’s what happens when he doesn’t have it.

Got to admit though he is such a good kick that I’d really like to see him use it more to open the game up rather than playing it safe.

Lackadaisical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back