Prediction Round 9, 2024: Changes vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel like Moore and howe will have a field day. Jacks been better but jack not as competitive physically 1v1 as he was in the day and moore will have him cold on leads. Framptons a spud but has been decent and will match up well on either maric of williams
Howe always used to beat Darling didn't he?

Darling's best work inside 50 on the weekend (outside of the marl/freek kick for goal) was holding ground and tying others up when Waterman and Williams were flying for the ball and I think that will be what he continues to do unless he's actually on the move. If he's flat footed he'll just engage as many as possible for someone to come over the top.

Gee you've got to be quick with the West Coast injury gods around. Seems like only yesterday we were saying Cripps out for the youth, nek minute Brockman Long both ded. :oops:

Have we gone over what is happening with the jnaicos'es?
Renew houghs wing ish role as a run with?

Have we gone over what is happening with the jnaicos'es?
Renew houghs wing ish role as a run with?
I imagine Hough will have his hands full with Bobby Hill.

Good experience for Chesser to play on Josh Daicos I reckon. Maybe Hunt could run with him if he gets off the chain.

As for Nick D, I wouldn't be opposed to Ginbey and Petch sharing that role throughout the night. Ginbey is quick and could put physical pressure on him, Petch to relieve him in spells.

Good experience for Chesser to play on Josh Daicos I reckon. Maybe Hunt could run with him if he gets off the chain.

As for Nick D, I wouldn't be opposed to Ginbey and Petch sharing that role throughout the night. Ginbey is quick and could put physical pressure on him, Petch to relieve him in spells.
Petch is also sneaky good when given a shut down / run with.
Has the speed to keep close and does like a good run down tackle.

I was trying to think of their small fwd. Still got his winner agnst Carlton on the mind.
But hill didn't hoist to the top of mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, because there won’t be both of the Williams’ there at the same time and Maric doesn’t really play tall.
1. Maric 196cm. Not sure I agree he doesn’t play tall but rather his opportunities have been limited with so many other KPFs. Be now interested to see what he can do with more room up forward.

2. There’s been a lot of discussion about our surplus of KPFs - so losing Jake means we now only have four possibles with any three there at one time. So surely we don’t need to shift an AA defender (as per the OP) so we have yet another one?

1. Maric 196cm. Not sure I agree he doesn’t play tall but rather his opportunities have been limited with so many other KPFs. Be now interested to see what he can do with more room up forward.

2. There’s been a lot of discussion about our surplus of KPFs - so losing Jake means we now only have four possibles with any three there at one time. So surely we don’t need to shift an AA defender (as per the OP) so we have yet another one?

We might. And don’t call me Shirley.

We like going tall in the forward line, we’ve gone with Darling/Waterman/Maric and the two Williamses a few times this season. The game’s under the roof at Docklands where teams can go tall a bit easier. Swinging one of our defenders forward and replacing them with Hedwards is an option.

But another option is taking the opportunity to go a bit smaller, maybe play Ryan out of the square, leave Harley down there more etc.

I don’t think bringing in AReid or Livingstone is a realistic option.

We like going tall in the forward line,
Probably more accurate to say we have several AFL level KPFs and - rather than send one or more to the sub-standard Beagles - we shoehorn them into the team.
Swinging one of our defenders forward
Why? As mentioned we not short of KPFs and with OA and Flynn (BW forward) returning now is the perfect time to sort where/if JWiill and Maric fit in. (And may also help decide where/if JD fits in.)
Temporarily shifting a KPD forward is not only unnecessary but also complicates the development of JWill and Maric.
But another option is taking the opportunity to go a bit smaller, maybe play Ryan out of the square, leave Harley down there more etc
Even before Long was injured we were light on for ‘small’ forwards with Ryan underdone and Brockman (so far) underwhelming. So I don’t think we really have the option to go ‘smaller’.
I don’t think bringing in AReid or Livingstone is a realistic option.
Again, we don’t need more forwards (besides these guys aren’t yet close anyway).

Probably more accurate to say we have several AFL level KPFs and - rather than send one or more to the sub-standard Beagles - we shoehorn them into the team.

Why? As mentioned we not short of KPFs and with OA and Flynn (BW forward) returning now is the perfect time to sort where/if JWiill and Maric fit in. (And may also help decide where/if JD fits in.)
Temporarily shifting a KPD forward is not only unnecessary but also complicates the development of JWill and Maric.

Even before Long was injured we were light on for ‘small’ forwards with Ryan underdone and Brockman (so far) underwhelming. So I don’t think we really have the option to go ‘smaller’.

Again, we don’t need more forwards (besides these guys aren’t yet close anyway).

To be honest I’m not sure what you’re recommending here. You don’t want to bring in a tall, but you don’t want us to go smaller either?

Our forward line vs Essendon was Waterman, Darling, Ryan, Cripps, Petch, Long, with the resting Williamses and Ledwards also spending a fair bit of time there (and Reid a bit as well).

We need to replace two of those guys - Waterman and Long. Maric is an obvious replacement for one. To me, the options for the second are
  • swing a KPD forward and go tall (clearly not your preferred option, probably not mine either tbh)
  • bring in a smaller player like Dewar.

Is there a third option I’ve missed?

Chesser in is a good shout. Wonder if Hunt will be back to take the wing spot or if Harvey can run out a full game on the wing..
Need Hunt's drive for this one!
Am guessing our forwards will be Maric, Ryan, Petch, Johnston, and the two Jacks?
Our new Jack is building in confidence.
Ryan needs to dig deep and pull out his mojo!?

Last edited:
Take three now Brockman’s also out.

In: Maric, Hunt, Jones, Dewar
Out: Waterman (curse), Yeo (curse), Long (curse), Johnston

Backs: Barrass, Gov, Rotham, Hough, Witherden, Cole, Jones
Mids: Kelly, Reid, Duggan, Ginbey, Hunt, Chesser
Rucks: Williamseses
Forwards: Darling, Maric, Ryan, Cripps, Petch, Dewar, Sheed
Sub: Ledwards
Emergencies: Gaff (travelling), Johnston, Hedwards

Basically Jones in for Yeo with Duggan moving into the middle, Hunt in for Johnston with Sheed switching to the HHF role Ledwards seemed to be playing and Ledwards replacing Johnston as sub, Maric straight swap for Waterman, Dewar straight swap for Long.

If we want to throw the magnets around during the game Barrass or Gov could go forward, Sheed into the middle and Duggan or Hunt back.

Unlucky for Johnston but if he’s not ready to run out an AFL game then he can’t be sub twice.

Gaff to travel and blow everyone’s mind when he’s named on an extended bench then gets on the plane.

Available for WAFL (excluding the customary surprise injuries): Johnston, Hedwards, Culley, Hall, Burgiel, Rawlinson, AReid, Trew (possibly), Livingstone, Baker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back