AFL Autopsy Round 9: Essendon defeated by 13pts against Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Giving a 50 that wasn't there. Or did you miss that?

That 50 cost us the game?

Jesus.

I would've thought the four shots out on the full or the five or six set shots that were gimmes that were inexplicably missed, all of which we had control of, was much more of a factor.

Blaming the umpires for that results is weak, pathetic and almost an apologist response to what was a s**t performance from the team.

In the next couple of years
Chappy - Gone
fletch - Gone
Watson - Gone
Goddard - Gone
Cooney - Gone
Stanton - Gone

J Merret - Potato
Melksham - List clogged
Belly - good for getting things off high shelves
Carlisle - CANNOT KICK STRAIGHT. Shane Watson of footy apparently talented and poised to rip it apart; never does. Wasted opportunities kill a side.
Dempsey - Whatever
Baggers - does he know the rules of the game. Immensely stupid footballer. Meh.
Gleeson - Meh

Potato stocks aside WADA May cornhole the s**t out of us.
Either way we are ****ed.

the umpiring and the opposition is irrelevant when our forward half is vacant all night.

seriously. all night. kicking to the right of your screens.

image.jpg

Carlisle was awesome I am surprised he didn't get is over the line all by himself.
In the next couple of years :
Chappy - Gone
fletch - Gone
Watson - Gone
Goddard - Gone
Cooney - Gone
Stanton - Gone

J Merret - Potato
Melksham - List clogged
Carlisle - CANNOT KICK STRAIGHT. Shane Watson of footy apparently talented and poised to rip it apart; never does. Wasted opportunities kill a side.
Dempsey - Whatever
Gleeson - Meh

Either way we are stuffed.
Well this post is incorrect.

Disappointing night, really ordinary performance from Jobe, Ambrose, Chappy looked awful, Cooney looked frightened and we got stuffed by the scared rabbits every time we got close.

I love Ambrose's work rate but he needs to spend time in the VFL to find out if he's going to be a big bodied half forward who spends time in the midfield or a genuine third tall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got to take your hat off to Fletcher. He has never been one of my favourites but after tonight I have nothing but the respect for the bloke amazing achievement
after tonight? it took you 400 games? you watch much footy?

the umpiring and the opposition is irrelevant when our forward half is vacant all night.

seriously. all night. kicking to the right of your screens.

View attachment 139375

Yeah, Riewoldt lining up for a set shot is really representative of how the forward-line structures up in general play.

TBC is not up to scratch. Although having a think about it, what is the solution? A 27 yo 2-club reject in Giles? Hardly. Ambrose shouldn't be having to go in there, it's clearly impacting his game but due to TBC's incompetence and lack of effort/fitness the coaching staff are forced to play a poor 2nd option.

Hibberd poor game up until last 10 mins, where his one-on-one efforts against Dusty were huge. Not many in the league could out-muscle Martin and win every single time, so credit where it's due.

Chapman is looking old, much point in carrying him much longer? Sure if finals are still an option, but a few more losses might be time to bite the bullet.

Carlisle frustrating. No more needs to be said.

Watson looks like he needs the bye.

Colyer again kept us in it. Extremely important player for us, but it just goes to show how slow we are. Every successful side currently have at least 4-5 line-breakers in their side (HAW: Hill, Rioli, Smith, Puopolo etc. FREM: Hill, Walters, Pearce x2, Ballantyne etc.) and is glaringly obvious we are desperate for more.. Not really what Cooney, Chapman, Gwilt and McKernan bring to the table.

Jackson Merrett needs time in the gym. So many times got caught out in one-on-one contests and got soundly beaten nearly every time. Can't have him one out in the goal square and expect to win many games.

Kav had a good game today, might be time for him to get a crack.

see this is the kind of game you chuck your toys out of the cot after.

Basically everything everyone says will be irrational bullshit that should under no circumstances be acted upon, but after tonight it's probably worth it

Last edited:
In the next couple of years
Chappy - Gone
fletch - Gone
Watson - Gone
Goddard - Gone
Cooney - Gone
Stanton - Gone

J Merret - Potato
Melksham - List clogged
Dempsey - Whatever
Gleeson - Meh

Either way we are stuffed.
I think Gleeson will be OK and I really like Baggers. But I agree with pretty much everything else. Watson and Goddard should be good bits and pieces players for the next couple of years but they're no longer stars.

Too many plodders.

If we dont start filtering the likes of Browne and fantasia next week I'll be livid.

Fletcher, Chapman and Winderlich should not get any more games.

Goddard and Stanton never in the same side together again.

Time for change.

you will be livid. well i guess if we sack a bunch of the coaching/football department staff on monday there's a small chance you won't be livid

face facts guys
the dons are my second team
grew up in Moonee ponds
was either at the WO or Windy Hill on sat/sun avro for 20 years
however
is it umpires, asad or wada that stops a team from kicking 60 points over 4 quarters consistently?
time to wake up unfortunately the mighty bombers are ridiculously overrated.
the coaching abilities of the coach are ridiculously overrated.
like the bombers and again tipped them however
if u take out the brisbane game last week over 8 games u have kicked an average of
72 points over 8 games
not good enough

The concerning thing is we are trying to get a team onto finals with the following unable to run out a game of footy
-bellchambers
-daniher
-carlisle
-Chappy

Whats the point? What damage can we do? Sure we might sneak into finals with some remarkable wins. Maybe snatch a elimination win.

A useless side playing boring footy thats going nowhere

Remove this Banner Ad

Back