Preview Round 9 v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking outside the box here.

Could we upgrade Archie and play him in the ruck allowing Martin to play as a roaming CHF marking target and Leuey playing as a marking target deeper in the forward line?

I can see your point and remeber the Doggies doing something a little bit weird against Sandilands and had some smaller types taking the ruck. It'll be a 'rob Peter to pay Paul situation' though. i'll have a crack. Beasley to be upgraded and to play as a defender, Andrews to take ruck duties with Luey as a deep forward and Martin to play as a CHF. Thoughts!

I actually think Sundays result might be quite grim sadly.

Brett Burton has all but ruled out Redden and McStay. We just can't get a good run with injuries. The bye can't come fast enough. Harwood and Bewick in and McStay and Golby out. If Cutler is available i would play him before Bewick.

B: Gardiner Clarke Harwood
HB: C.Beams Papa Adcock
C: Taylor Rich Zorko
HF: Christensen Andrews Robinson
FF: Lester Berger Green
R : Martin D.Beams Rocky

I: Robertson Dawson Aish
Sub: Bewick/Cutler

Would like to see Lester start the game deep forward. He has shown in the last few weeks he has a good pair hands and can take a decent grab. I would swap him and Rocky through out the match. We have to find other avenues to score.

I would play Squizzy and Zorks on the wings and try to utilise their pace. Let's face it Beams Rich and Rocky are not super quick. And not much point play a run and gun style if we don't have any pace through the middle. Robertson would also spend time on the wing.

I really hope we resist the temptation to move Andrews back forward in place of McStay. I know Harris struggled last week (side note, we need a nickname for him) but he's shown enough signs there to give him some confidence. And he's a better chance to get himself more involved in the game.

I'd rather send a stopgap to the forwardline like Lester or Mitch Robinson.

I can see Mayes returning and kicking a bag. Dawson with 2. Luey to crash packs and the mid forwards mark and goal strongly. I also see Longer eating an apple pie at half time to give him a much needed sugar hit.

Has ZoB served his internal suspension yet? If yes, he's in for mine. In to replace Aish. Really though, Aish will keep his spot IMHO. So ZoB for McStay.
If Maguire was fit, I'd absolutely name him in the forward line.
I wouldn't be surprised if Gardiner was rested. He needs a break.
Andrews might move forward again.

My side would be:
B: Gardiner Clarke Aish
HB: C.Beams Paparone Adcock
C: Taylor Rich Golby
HF: Christensen Andrews Robinson
FF: Dawson Berger Green
R : Martin D.Beams Rocky

I: Robertson Lester ZoB
Sub: Zorko

I really hope we resist the temptation to move Andrews back forward in place of McStay. I know Harris struggled last week (side note, we need a nickname for him) but he's shown enough signs there to give him some confidence. And he's a better chance to get himself more involved in the game.

I'd rather send a stopgap to the forwardline like Lester or Mitch Robinson.

I think we will need Andrews down back anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

blynd_freddie thanks for the preview. I spent lots of my childhood at the Junction oval so it was a great trip down memory lane. Loved the photos....I remember getting those hats that little kid was wearing from the pie boys! I could smell the coal of that bridge near the Brunswick street oval and hear the noise of us banging our feet on the floor of the stand down at the Junction oval. Great read !! Loved the Bon Scott look alike bloke with his traveller and head hanging out the window. Go lions!

Would play Mayes as a traditional FF... let opposition defenders zone off all we need to do is play hard fast footy through the corridor to get some easy over the top goals like what's been happening to us for weeks now.

Dawson keeps his spot just needs to work a bit harder on his ground ball and ground coverage.
Zorko on last warning... one more poor performance and he goes
Green needs to stop being a front runner... good for a quarter then nothing... lacked defensive effort vs Dons
Leppa needs to settle down on the 'slow the ball movement we can't beat them in a shootout'... a few times I reckon he has said that this season and we get destroyed

CBF guessing at team selection but Mayes needs to come in for McStay

Great preview Freddo! A footy history lesson, a memoir & a preview all in one. Really enjoyed it!

I know Harris struggled last week (side note, we need a nickname for him)

His nickname's 'Riss', I think. That said, if anyone can help me with McStay's nickname, I'm all ears - I haven't figured that one out yet.

That is the very one I passed on! It is probably my worst concert regret, given I love Bill to death and thought Joanna's 'Y's' was an extraordinary record.

I went to that (I think). He says absolutely nothing between songs. Almost played his whole Knock Knock from start to finish.
Someone yelled out at one point, "Bill, tell us something!"
He replied: "Ah... always do your taxes."
Excellent.

Would play Mayes as a traditional FF... let opposition defenders zone off all we need to do is play hard fast footy through the corridor to get some easy over the top goals like what's been happening to us for weeks now.

Dawson keeps his spot just needs to work a bit harder on his ground ball and ground coverage.
Zorko on last warning... one more poor performance and he goes
Green needs to stop being a front runner... good for a quarter then nothing... lacked defensive effort vs Dons
Leppa needs to settle down on the 'slow the ball movement we can't beat them in a shootout'... a few times I reckon he has said that this season and we get destroyed

CBF guessing at team selection but Mayes needs to come in for McStay
Just on the bolded I totally agree , There seems to be mixed messages for the boys.
"Take the game on" , " Slow the ball movement", I think we play much better when we take the game on and the best example I can think of is When we have taken a mark , we then play on quickly , so a kick to the first Lions player that presents or leads . He then has options to attack further, you get more one on ones to kick to. Their defense is still running back and not set up

The opposition must love us when we slow down and procrastinate.
We take a mark refuse the first lead , then look up and realize oh s**t too slow , no option now but a long bomb to a massive contest.

Why not take the first option if the player you are kicking to is in a better position, it's got me f.....d.

Just on the bolded I totally agree , There seems to be mixed messages for the boys.
"Take the game on" , " Slow the ball movement", I think we play much better when we take the game on and the best example I can think of is When we have taken a mark , we then play on quickly , so a kick to the first Lions player that presents or leads . He then has options to attack further, you get more one on ones to kick to. Their defense is still running back and not set up

The opposition must love us when we slow down and procrastinate.
We take a mark refuse the first lead , then look up and realize oh s**t too slow , no option now but a long bomb to a massive contest.

Why not take the first option if the player you are kicking to is in a better position, it's got me f.....d.
In part I think Leppa is still taking this season as a development one. I guess that 'slow it down' game plan has it's values just that we have probably not playing it well enough/or lack the personnel to see ALL of it yet. Still would like us to still play our more offensive style first as it works well and minimises our weaknesses with no KPF. We play fast and work together we usually win the quarters just sustaining that over the 4 quarters is the question mark at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back