Round ball code talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Vale The Kaiser.

Captained, then Coached a World Cup victory and was the Chief administrator of the 2006 WC. A rare record, maybe never to be matched . Then there was his on field performance. Plenty of domestic honours to go with his international ones. He then joined Pele at New York Cosmos in 1977.

1974 was the first year I followed soccer. There was no bigger name than Franz Beckenbauer that year.

The game has lost some giants the last 18 months or so.

Edit forgot to mention this. Franz voted for us to host the WC when the double 2018 / 2022 rights vote took place at the same time in 2010.

Last edited:
It’s Gre-Nal Week!

View attachment 1910632

State league match. Minor Round, R10 out of 11.

Inter leads. Grêmio is second (-2pts). There are 12 teams, and 8 qualify for Finals.

What's bigger in Porto Alegre this time of year, the Derby or Carnaval?

A Giant has fallen

Brasil’s Cup: First Preliminary Stage

Cruzeiro (6-time winner) just lost to Sousa (4th Divison): 2-0

Highlights below. Context: in this stage (single-match elimination knockout), the visitors qualify with a draw.

A Giant has fallen

Brasil’s Cup: First Preliminary Stage

Cruzeiro (6-time winner) just lost to Sousa (4th Divison): 2-0

Highlights below. Context: in this stage (single-match elimination knockout), the visitors qualify with a draw.

Qualify with a draw! Never heard of that before.

Those lights aren't good enough for broadcasting as I didn't see the ball go into the net for the first goal.

Then again if they are 4th division they are about the 80th to 100th best team in Brazil so they wont have the greatest lights.

So Klopp does get his trophy on the way out (and still a chance in the FA and EPL too). Beautiful stuff. Such a shame he's going as he's clearly the best manager we've had this century. I think we'll fall off next season without a lot of luck.

Honestly I'm lucky that I support sides like Liverpool and the Aussie cricket team, its a great balance against the mediocrity accepting losers that have taken over at Port.

I watched the Matildas v Uzbekistan game with my brother in law who was down from Qld and is a big world game fan.

We were both shocked when Queenslander Katrina Gorry before the game, said she enjoys playing in the cold when she was interviewed pre game, when it was -3 and game time it was 0 is Tashkent,

We both said she can't be a real Queenslander if she likes the cold. Then we found out she has played in Norway an Sweden and in the January transfer window signed up with West Ham. She is the player who has the 2 1/2 year old daughter, Harper, who can watch a game and name all the Matilda players as per the Australian Story clip both ABC and Ch 10 have played a fair bit.

The Matilda's dominated but just couldn't score for about 75 minutes. It was bloody frustrating how many chances they stuffed up.
Oz 3 v Uzbekistan 0
Shots on goal 27 v 1 .... reckon it was 22 v 0 just before they scored their first goal.
Shots on target 9 v 0
Corners .......... 12 v 1
Time in Possession 71% v 29%. I reckon Uzbekistan had the ball in their forward half for no more than 3 minutes after half time.

After the game I looked up the scoreline of the other Asian Olympic qualifying game between North Korea and Japan.

I thought it was played in North Korea but later found out it was in neutral Saudi Arabia. The score was 0-0 but North Korea had 9 shots on goal to 4, and 3 on target to 1 by Japan, but only had 46% possession.

North Korea are ranked 8th by FIFA's women's rankings and Japan 9th. Oz are ranked 12th and Uzbekistan 47th.

There are a few of top teams who wont make the final 12 in Paris, as the continental representation means only 2 + host France from Europe get to go to Paris.

Top 3 ranked sides Spain, USA and France have qualified, 10th Canada, 11th Brazil have qualified and now would expect 12th ranked Oz to do so, given they play Uzbekistan in Melbourne on Wednesday for the home leg..

But England 4th and Sweden 5th haven't qualified and the loser of last qualifying game Germany 6th v Netherlands 7th will miss out as will the loser of North Korea 8th v Japan 9th miss out.

Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba says he is "sad, shocked and heartbroken" after being banned from football for four years for a doping offence.

The France international, 30, was provisionally suspended in September after a drugs test found elevated levels of testosterone in his system.
"Everything I have built in my professional career has been taken away from me," he said in a statement. The former Manchester United player added he would appeal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba says he is "sad, shocked and heartbroken" after being banned from football for four years for a doping offence.

The France international, 30, was provisionally suspended in September after a drugs test found elevated levels of testosterone in his system.
"Everything I have built in my professional career has been taken away from me," he said in a statement. The former Manchester United player added he would appeal.
Animated GIF

Grêmio’s archenemy is Internacional.

Internacional’s last major trophy was in 2016. [Some people don’t count the state leagues as majors, but I do. Otherwise, it would be the 2010 Copa Libertadores.] Since then, Inter had been in the state GF only three times (2017, ‘19, ‘21).

This season, Inter made a lot of investments. They’ve sold 20% of their media revenue for the next 50 years. They are dreaming high. They finished the Minor Round at the top.

Yesterday, they played the PF against Juventude (who was promoted to Brazil top league last season). First leg was a draw. Second leg was at home.

This happened:

Soooo GOOD!

Grêmio plays tonight. We won the first match away, 2-1. Our opponent is Juventude’s main rival, Caxias (Brazil’s Div.3). We are current the title holders. We’ve won the last 6 titles.

Ty man U!

Liverpool dropping points.

Looking like a great end of the season..

Anyone's title at the moment (arsenal, man city or Liverpool) with just 1 point seperating them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back