Rucci's Top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Stiffy_18 said:
I must say his top 10 is probably the most ridicilous out of that lot

Rucci's: Not too bad, although Ricciuto is ridiculously low while Goodwin being as high as 22 is absurd - I wouldn't have him anywhere near my top 50.

McDermott's: There is no doubt Wells and NDS are tremendous young talents both with the potential to win a Brownlow, but top 10 today? Good to see Hall and Fev get the credit they deserve even if they are a little high - too often looked over for deceivers like Brown, Pavlich and Tarrant.

Abba's: Jonathan Brown ahead of Riewoldt blows his credibility sky-high.

Fjeldstad/Sheehan's: Cornes ahead of Black? Brown top 10? (See 'potential', a la Bone's inclusion of Wells/Dal Santo).

Kenneth George's: Again, Brown top 10? McLeod far too high. Everything else looks OK.

dyertribe said:
Rucci's: Not too bad, although Ricciuto is ridiculously low while Goodwin being as high as 22 is absurd - I wouldn't have him anywhere near my top 50.

McDermott's: There is no doubt Wells and NDS are tremendous young talents both with the potential to win a Brownlow, but top 10 today? Good to see Hall and Fev get the credit they deserve even if they are a little high - too often looked over for deceivers like Brown, Pavlich and Tarrant.

Fjeldstad/Sheehan's: Cornes ahead of Black? Brown top 10? (See 'potential', a la Bone's inclusion of Wells/Dal Santo).

Kenneth George's: Again, Brown top 10? McLeod far too high. Everything else looks OK.

Agree with most of that.

Abba's was absolutely ridiculous. Riewoldt @ 7?? Pavlich @ 9? Wilson @ 10?

Riewoldt should definitely be in everyone's top 3, Pavlich would struggle to make top 40 and Wilson doesn't have the game-breaking qualities to be near top 10. (top 30-40 at best)

And as for KG, well after the last couple of years Bunji would struggle to make the top 50 let alone the top 10.

dyertribe said:

It looks like Goodwin will be Rucci's love child this year. He has been pumping up his tyres whole pre-season.

Bone is obsessed with Wells and NDS. Quite frankly I am surprised he didn't have Luke Ball in there as well :rolleyes:

Abba's is by far the most ridicilous one. I am HUGE Roo fan but is he really the # 2 player in the comp. And the likes of Chad Cornes and Jonathan Brown ahead of St. Nick??? :confused:

Apart from KG having McLeod and maybe Brown in the top 10, his looks the most reasonable effort.

IMO last year the top KPPs were Tredrea, Riewoldt and Cornes.
The top midfielders were Roo, Judd and Black.
Mix em up as you like, but to have Roo as the 9th non KPP is over the top.

Geez Rucci has some questionable picks above Roo.

Oh, and Dyertribe, get off your anti-Brown crusade. You're one of the vey few people who continually writes him off as overrated. Fact is, he's arguably the best CHF in the comp (Tredrea is not a CHF, he is a floating forward and closer to a full-forward), he is a consistent game-breaker and has been Brisbane's gateway to the forward line.

Sure, he's a bloody idiot, but there's no reason he couldn't be ranked in the top 10-20 in the AFL for his role and impact.

Some people love him too much, you hate him too much. Go figure.

Agreed Spindoctor. IMO he is equal if not better than Tredera and Riedwolt. Brown is the closest player we will see to Carey. He has the same intimidation factor (Which he may take slighty over the top) the running back into packs and the ability to break a game open.

Many of us here may underrate him mainly because when we play the lions a certain other key forward tears us apart, but if you watch some other Brisbane games you'll se Brown is right up there with the premier forwards of the competition.

i too must agree with the spindoctor and jo172, there is lots of anti-brown sentiment, for no good reason too, who cares if he likes it a little rough. Everyteam with maybe the exception of the saints, would give anything to have him at CHF.

Overall i found the inclusion of fevola in bruce's top10 a bit of a joke, and rucci having him ahead of lloyd, on some decent wizzers makes you wonder. I'm not sure what lloyds last five yrs means, but obviously fev's last five games are more important. Theres no doubt hes on the right track, but it was only last yr he was having brain fades every second week. He shouldnt be in the top 40 on what he has done so far. Oh and rucci having him ahead of roo says it all.

gadj1976 said:
Either way, Roo is close to 19. He's not in the best 10 in the AFL in my opinion. Last year, he didn't play well. I know he rated well and his leadership is second to none but the way he got and delivered the ball wasn't as good as his brownlow year.

Ok he didn't play well last year, surely then you would concede that any player who can be AA captain whilst having not playing well must be a hell of a player?

Robert Walls said:
16. Mark Ricciuto (Adelaide)
Respected by all. Tough, courageous, aggressive and persistent. Opposition coaches realise that, if Ricciuto is kept to a modest game, his team rarely wins.

Yeah and he would know since he's an opposition coach. Oh, no actually he's just an old foggy who recites random stats like 'Player X has had x kicks in the last three minutes.' and tries to pass them off as 'expert comments'.

Crow-mosone said:
Rucci has ben cousins way too high; surprised this hasn't been mentioned.

Astute comment.

Good footballer Cousins, but nowhere near the overall impact of a Roo.

If Rucci swapped these two he wouldn't have been as far out as he was.

I have true sympathy for the people of Adelaide that they are forced, in the only paper in town, to have to read the "Top 50" of a man with no credibility. People slag off Robert Walls, but in 1979 he was still getting a kick in the big time (between being a premiership player and premiership coach) - Rucci was writing the SANFL Reserves round up in the Budget. Why would anybody ever go to the trouble of applying any sort of critical analysis to this bloke's musings?

Bruce Abernethy has credibility - then obliterates it by naming Michael Wilson (don't get me wrong, an excellent footballer) at number 10. If one wants to be Alberton-centric, Roger James would be a good choice.

As for McLeod - lucky to be Top 50 in my no-credibility-opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McAlmanac said:
Bruce Abernethy has credibility - then obliterates it by naming Michael Wilson (don't get me wrong, an excellent footballer) at number 10. If one wants to be Alberton-centric, Roger James would be a good choice.

Bruce hasn't quite been the same since he had those strokes a few years ago.......mind you most Port supporters would have both James and Wilson in their top 10 given the difference they made to the side last year when it counted and that was Wilbur only at 80% given the shoulder problems he had.

Mind you I'd also have Roo in the top 10 as well........

Stiffy_18 said:
Rucci's top 50

1. Nick Riewoldt
2. Chris Judd
3. Warren Tredrea
4. Simon Black
5. Chad Cornes
6. Fraser Gehrig
7. Matthew Scarlett
8. Ben Cousins
9. Nigel Lappin
10. Barry Hall
11. Michael Voss
12. Scott West
13. Brendan Fevola
14. Matthew Lloyd
15. Jonathan Brown
16. James Hird
17. Jason Akermanis
18. Luke Darcy
19. Mark Ricciuto
20. Nathan Brown (Richmond)
21. Peter Everitt
22. Simon Goodwin
23. Adam Goodes
24. Luke Power
25. Cameron Ling
26. Peter Burgoyne
27. Lenny Hayes
28. Adam McPhee
29. Chris Johnson
30. Nick Dal Santo
31. Kane Cornes
32. Chris Tarrant
33. Phil Matera
34. Paul Haselby
35. James Clement
36. Brett Kirk
37. Michael Wilson
38. Garry Ablett
39. Roger James
40. Luke Ball
41. Brad Johnson
42. Andrew Embley
43. Josh Carr
44. Andrew McLeod
45. Matthew Lappin
46. Brent Harvey
47. Daniel Wells
48. Daniel Cox
49. Adam Simpson
50. Sam Mitchell

I based my selections on last years form .
I wont pretend to know exactly where each of the top 50 should be , but I would have had Riciutto at 6 ahead of Gehrig and as much as Cousins is loved here he reminds me of a player in the Mid South East competition in the 90s called Which Way ( Kevin Wanganeen) because he used to get the ball on the back flank and turn left right left right handball to himself and kick 25 metres run past for the handball and build his stats, for me Cousins would fit in at 34 and Hasleby in Cousins 8 spot.Simon Goodwin I would have in MaCleods spot at 44 and leave Macca out.Brett Kirk could have been higher.

As said this is Ruccis and good luck to him, but if he was trying to appease Crows supporters he failed.

jo172 said:
Agreed Spindoctor. IMO he is equal if not better than Tredera and Riedwolt. Brown is the closest player we will see to Carey. He has the same intimidation factor (Which he may take slighty over the top) the running back into packs and the ability to break a game open.

Many of us here may underrate him mainly because when we play the lions a certain other key forward tears us apart, but if you watch some other Brisbane games you'll se Brown is right up there with the premier forwards of the competition.

Agreed on ability Brown could be better than both Tredrea & Riewoldt but unfortunately his mind-set is far behind those 2 players at the moment.

But that could change this year when he realizes that Lynch is now not there to fall back on..

Then again i see Hopopotu has fallen back to his old ways once more.

dreamkillers said:
Bruce hasn't quite been the same since he had those strokes a few years ago.......mind you most Port supporters would have both James and Wilson in their top 10 given the difference they made to the side last year when it counted and that was Wilbur only at 80% given the shoulder problems he had.

Mind you I'd also have Roo in the top 10 as well........

Where would you Port supporters put Josh Carr in the top 50 ??

Myself i would have put him around 17-20 but i am a big fan of him so i might seem a bit bias.

josh carr is very overrated, port just boosted him up when it became clear he was heading home. He did nothing during the finals last yr. Just a tager really. There most imp midfielder by a mile is roger james, hes the one who gets it out. He should of been in the top 25, ahead of peter burgoyne any way.

Stiffy_18 said:
Abba's is by far the most ridicilous one. I am HUGE Roo fan but is he really the # 2 player in the comp.

Brownlow Medallist 2003.
Runner up Brownlow Medal 2004.

The case for him being #2 in the comp can be made fairly easily.

My goodness what a joke.
Goes to show why these blokes are not involved in the game anymore they have lost touch in a major way.
Rucci has no real AFL past nad has been know to make up stories out of nothing so his top 50 should be rated about as much as a 6 year old rates his match box cars.
Bruce Abernethys top 10 is so funny.
Although he is a terrific player the Roo is not the 2nd best in the AFL he would be top 10 for sure, and having Michael Wilson is a joke for sure. Well if it was not i sure pi$$ed my self laughing.
Simon Goodwin would not be in the top 75 players in the AFL let alone the top 25. Gees
Players better than Goodwin at Adelaide - Roo, McLeod, Johncock, Edwards and thats being nice. I would put Rielly (ok after this year), Hentschel in front of him also.
You cant do a top 50 its just impossible even a top 10 is wrong. Do you base it on skill level?? importance to a team???
Now nobody had Nathan Buckley in the top 50, now i know he may well be injured right now but he should be right for round 1 can you honestly say he is still not in the top 50 in the AFL??

bobneil130 said:
My goodness what a joke.
Goes to show why these blokes are not involved in the game anymore they have lost touch in a major way.
Rucci has no real AFL past nad has been know to make up stories out of nothing so his top 50 should be rated about as much as a 6 year old rates his match box cars.
Bruce Abernethys top 10 is so funny.
Although he is a terrific player the Roo is not the 2nd best in the AFL he would be top 10 for sure, and having Michael Wilson is a joke for sure. Well if it was not i sure pi$$ed my self laughing.
Simon Goodwin would not be in the top 75 players in the AFL let alone the top 25. Gees
Players better than Goodwin at Adelaide - Roo, McLeod, Johncock, Edwards and thats being nice. I would put Rielly (ok after this year), Hentschel in front of him also.
You cant do a top 50 its just impossible even a top 10 is wrong. Do you base it on skill level?? importance to a team???
Now nobody had Nathan Buckley in the top 50, now i know he may well be injured right now but he should be right for round 1 can you honestly say he is still not in the top 50 in the AFL??

I don't mind these sorts of lists Bob. As long as you don't take them too seriously. It's a bit like compiling a list of your favourite films or albums...it's all a matter of personal taste.

I really think we need to stop talking about Rucci !

i think we are keeping him in a job

did anyone listen to 5AA on the weekend ? he kept attacking anyone (usually crows supporters) about being bias when they commented Re: Roo,

this coming from a guy who wrote a book about Port Adealide FC - I would like to ask him if he is a Power member or a Port Adealide FC member
he is such a idiot who can't back up his arguement with anything more than - your Bias i'm not !

Mcdermott was worse I swear the guy just says things to try and get reaction (a bit like me but atleast i will back up what i say instead of just saying it might stir the pot)

Capitalists Record

0 Advertisers in 3 months
1 Saturday Advertiser in 3 months
1 Sunday Mail in 3 Months

marvin said:
Brownlow Medallist 2003.
Runner up Brownlow Medal 2004.

The case for him being #2 in the comp can be made fairly easily.
Easier making a case for Roo to be #2 than #19! Surely based on the last couple of years Roo has to be a top-5 player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back