Ruckman top 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Goldstein is now almost of a top 10 ruckman of all time

Sean Rehn, Paul Salmon, Madden x2, Stynes, Everitt, Cox, Gawn, Nik Nat, Sandilands, Ottens & McKernan would all be ahead of him imo and that is only the last 30 years

Natanui is the modern ruck you'd choose if everyone was fresh and you needed to impact that one single ruck contest right now IMO. His impact play at a stoppage is exceptional and the follow-on effect it has on how the WCE midfield sets up, but his relative lack of tank and low impact outside of that stops him from being an out and out ruck great.

From a structural point of view you can't run Natanui as a sole ruck, because he only plays what, 60% - 70% game time at most? So you're relying on 30 - 40% coverage from your second ruckman.

Gawn is less impactful at a single stoppage, but his endurance and versatility makes him a much more complete player. Goldstein always criminally underrated in these discussions, his ability to carry 90% odd game time in the ruck and durability puts him right around the Top-10 IMO.

Sandy is probably the only ruckman without versatility that makes the all-time list simply because he was so dominant at stoppages with his ruck craft alone.

Agreed on the NicNat and Gawn comments. NicNat is easily one of the most impactful players I’ve seen - it’s just he does it for 30-40% less time than most.

Whereas Gawn is one of the most impactful players and does it in multiple facets of the game. Can impact a stoppage, go behind the play and take a big intercept mark, and has also shown he can kick a bag. He’s obviously top 2 for a number of reasons.

I don’t think Goldstein can be top 10 however because while he has had remarkable consistency and durability as being a top 6-7 ruckman in the league for a number of years, he really only had 1-2 seasons of breaking into the top echelon. Everything he did well, there was normally 4-5 other guys who did better that season.

Agreed on the NicNat and Gawn comments. NicNat is easily one of the most impactful players I’ve seen - it’s just he does it for 30-40% less time than most.

Whereas Gawn is one of the most impactful players and does it in multiple facets of the game. Can impact a stoppage, go behind the play and take a big intercept mark, and has also shown he can kick a bag. He’s obviously top 2 for a number of reasons.

I don’t think Goldstein can be top 10 however because while he has had remarkable consistency and durability as being a top 6-7 ruckman in the league for a number of years, he really only had 1-2 seasons of breaking into the top echelon. Everything he did well, there was normally 4-5 other guys who did better that season.

Agree that Goldy probably isn't inside the Top-10 but gee he's not far off, has been incredibly consistent and durable, just a reliable high level ruckman for North for a very long time with a few seasons as one of the top 2-3. Not too many ruckman can say they've done it at the level he has for as long as he has.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back