Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont like them but i tend to pronate a little so they are no good for me

i have a paid of altra 0 drops though id reccomend them
were do you get your Altras from? i love them but their sizing is all over the place. would like to be able to try them on before purchasing

also, everyone pronates (or supinates)...its good for you

were do you get your Altras from? i love them but their sizing is all over the place. would like to be able to try them on before purchasing

also, everyone pronates (or supinates)...its good for you

Got em online from injinji 60 percent off

30kms for the first time today. Bloody sore legs now. Makes that marathon distance not that far away l guess.

Id do a 35 before the mara if i do it again

I went 30 before it
Found in the race the bit from 30-38 was the hardest

Yeah. I don't actually have a goal to do a marathon. 21kms seems my distance at the moment. Couple of 21km trail runs next month. Probably a bit late for some hill work. Horsham the flattest place on earth though. Lol

30kms for the first time today. Bloody sore legs now. Makes that marathon distance not that far away l guess.

You've really crushed it lately with consistency, distance and times. Well done mate.

I have my Run Melbourne HM next Sunday and have actually just started easing back the miles this past week. Some of that has to do with watching cricket until 3am every day past 2 weekends and having 0 energy, lol. However, I'll attempt to get an easy 10-11 km later today after a family lunch and then 2-3 short but solid runs through the week.

Most important think this week for me is some decent sleep. I'm a poor sleeper at the best of times and as a cricket lover the Ashes have hurt me the past 2 weeks. Need a solid week in the cot so I'm nice and fresh come next Sunday morning.

Cheers mate. I'm an early riser as you've noticed but the cricket making it a little harder to drag myself out of bed too. Was hoping to do a few gentle kms today too but didn't happen.
Have also purchased a race vest for these trail runs. Will be interesting to see how l go with that.

What time are you aiming for next weekend?

Hoping to go sub 1:35:00 and as close to 1:30:00 as possible.

Only ever done 1 official HM before which was this same event 2 years ago and did that in 1:38:00

Basically need to go around 4:30 min/km pace or slightly quicker to go sub 1:35:00

Hoping to go sub 1:35:00 and as close to 1:30:00 as possible.

Only ever done 1 official HM before which was this same event 2 years ago and did that in 1:38:00

Basically need to go around 4:30 min/km pace or slightly quicker to go sub 1:35:00

Think you will smash it, your running is looking great

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd try push to 38kms in training.

Personally I find 32kms - 38kms the killer in a marathon. I can get to 30kms in good shape then the dreaded wall requires a new set of legs.

Did my 6th barefoot session tonight. About 5.2km. After pulling up very sore from my first session (9 days to recover), the body now feels great.

I've been increasing it by approx 0.5km per session (1 lap of the oval). I'll hit the tan on Sunday to see how the body handles a harder surface. If I pull up ok from that I'll go back to my regular route which contains asphalt, concrete, stone aggregate, and grass.

All goes well, I'll start to up the pace. Progressing a lot faster than expected. If anyone has considered barefoot, give it a go.

Did my 6th barefoot session tonight. About 5.2km. After pulling up very sore from my first session (9 days to recover), the body now feels great.

I've been increasing it by approx 0.5km per session (1 lap of the oval). I'll hit the tan on Sunday to see how the body handles a harder surface. If I pull up ok from that I'll go back to my regular route which contains asphalt, concrete, stone aggregate, and grass.

All goes well, I'll start to up the pace. Progressing a lot faster than expected. If anyone has considered barefoot, give it a go.

Where did you pull up sore?

What are your times like? i.e. compared to running with shoes.

Keep us updated on your progress and join our strava group! Cheers

Where did you pull up sore?

What are your times like? i.e. compared to running with shoes.

Keep us updated on your progress and join our strava group! Cheers

Calves and glutes. I have weak glutes which have caused a lot of injuries (done both hammies 3 times each, torn muscle in lower back twice which later caused a slipped disc etc). Surprisingly the hammies felt great after running barefoot. Better than when I'm not even running.

I don't really time myself, but barefoot probably about 4:45 per km. Probably used to about 4:00 with shoes (for 8-9km). I feel like i could go a lot quicker, but I'm a bit reluctant to push it given that I'm already pushing harder than recommended when starting out.

I looked at strava, but I need a tutorial.

Calves and glutes. I have weak glutes which have caused a lot of injuries (done both hammies 3 times each, torn muscle in lower back twice which later caused a slipped disc etc). Surprisingly the hammies felt great after running barefoot. Better than when I'm not even running.

I don't really time myself, but barefoot probably about 4:45 per km. Probably used to about 4:00 with shoes (for 8-9km). I feel like i could go a lot quicker, but I'm a bit reluctant to push it given that I'm already pushing harder than recommended when starting out.

They are impressive times. Well done. Keep it up.

Definitely good times.

Definitely good times.

Cheers.

I ended up doing just over 4km around Princes park yesterday. Body pulled up pretty good today.
I think I'll try my regular route of asphalt, concrete etc. tomorrow. If I pull up ok from that, I'll start to up the pace.

Might do a parkrun at Albert park on Saturday to get some idea where my barefoot times are at.

Does strava do something weird with its pace? Watch was telling me 5:00/km whereas strava said 4:58/km

I have the same issue. I run with the Nike App on the Iphone. But when I transfer the activity to Strava it takes a couple of seconds off my average pace. Not sure why.

So I didn't get the HM time I was hoping for, although despite some setbacks during the run, I still wasn't too far away.

Nonetheless the end result left me a little flat as I expected to do better and now find myself at a little crossroads as to the direction I will take next. I was a 5% chance of moving on from this run and trying for the full at Melbourne in October but simply feel it is a distance too far at this point. I considered whether I should just make 10km my 'event' distance but have decided I'll go with another HM and see if I can improve on this performance.

I think there's 8-9 weeks until the Melbourne Marathon so I'm going for the HM version of that event.

Won't be doing much running this week though. Have been struck down with a pretty heavy cold just now and feel like crap. Might wander a few slow kms to keep the legs ticking over but generally just RnR for a few days.

I have the same issue. I run with the Nike App on the Iphone. But when I transfer the activity to Strava it takes a couple of seconds off my average pace. Not sure why.

I'm no expert as I have not used either, but it could be due to the update rate. Your Nike app/watch may take a GPS reading every 10 seconds, whereas Strava may do it every 2 seconds (making it slightly more accurate).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back