Past Ryan O'Keefe - 2012 Norm Smith medalist, retired 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of form but I definitely am not calling time on his career. Definitely think ROK is playing out of position / a different role to last year which has contributed to him getting a fraction of the disposals he got last year. We haven't seen him at the stoppages much, mostly up forward.

Looking at a lot of the guys, they're playing like they did at the end of 2013 when they looked cooked. I put it down to the extra workload due to our massive injury list then, but would've expected recovery over the pre-season. Will be interesting to see how this year pans out for a lot of our star players....

Out of form but I definitely am not calling time on his career. Definitely think ROK is playing out of position / a different role to last year which has contributed to him getting a fraction of the disposals he got last year. We haven't seen him at the stoppages much, mostly up forward.

Looking at a lot of the guys, they're playing like they did at the end of 2013 when they looked cooked. I put it down to the extra workload due to our massive injury list then, but would've expected recovery over the pre-season. Will be interesting to see how this year pans out for a lot of our star players....

What role do you think he is being asked to play in 2014?

Just not true.

Here's the figures for the players named (Left Rohan out as he was sub... not fair to compare him).
View attachment 51517
of the players you named, ROK has the lowest number of possessions, worst effective disposal ratio, equal most clangers, equal least inside 50s, only Jetta got less clearances, he had zero 1%ers, and had the most time on ground out of all of them. Basically he was bottom in pretty much every single stat.

He can run around and show all the effort in the world, but he's just not affecting the game.

Where did you source those stats?

What role do you think he is being asked to play in 2014?

Not sure, my only theory would be that Longmire knows he is slow but has a big tank so is not wasting interchange rotations on him. Instead I would guess they are using him in a similar role to Jude Bolton last year as a midfield pinch hitter when the guns need a rest, otherwise a structural role in the fwd 50 to provide a contest, tie up a damaging opp half back, apply pressure when it comes to ground etc.

Definitely agree he isn't doing a great job if this is his role, but to be fair our fwd entries and decision making with the ball have been horrific so far this year.

The one distasteful thing for me is that through all that years that ROK was at his best he went by largely under the radar of the footy public and media, but due to the alleged Buddy bust-up and his planned omission from rd 1, suddenly the spot light is on him at the twilight of his career. Just hope this doesn't overshadow how great a player he has been for us.

and left out all the players that faired even worse than ROK in the stats dept. lol
I was responding to a poster that named those players specifically. So i wasn't cherry picking, i was simply using the examples provided.

I agree other players were poor. If you want to pull out their stats, go ahead.

I was responding to a poster that named those players specifically. So i wasn't cherry picking, i was simply using the examples provided.

I agree other players were poor. If you want to pull out their stats, go ahead.
Sorry mate but you did say ROK was by far the worst and used those stats as proof, he wasn't stat wise, that's all I meant.

*edit, I just reread your original post I must have read it wrong the first time, sorry, play on.

Could there be a more innocent excuse for his lack of form such as injury or playing a new (more fwd) role?

His 'ommission' in round 1 sounded more like an established plan knowing Jack wasn't right OR if it was an honest 'on-the-day' injury by Jack then they were lining ROK up for a rest but had to play him.

I just don't think he'd have dropped off so suddenly and dramatically. Not a player of his calibre and fitness. I'm putting my money on the fact it's somthing else (injury or role) and he'll bounce back over the coming rounds. If not, then it is a very sad way for one of our very greats to end it but I'm not losing faith in pebbles yet.

If Tippett isn't playing I would have him as a lead up FF, and allow Buddy to roam higher, ROK is still an excellent mark and great Kick, if opposition chose to double team Buddy, instruction would be to look to ROK, by having him so far back (or Forward depends on your speak) the chances of him being pace exploited is lessened Vs high HF, has the smarts to help lock it in and will beat 3rd string defender most times.
What I really noticed V Crows was some sublime passing from long range by Buddy, hit targets beautifully, this is where he will be most dangerous..
Just a thought...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could there be a more innocent excuse for his lack of form such as injury or playing a new (more fwd) role?

His 'ommission' in round 1 sounded more like an established plan knowing Jack wasn't right OR if it was an honest 'on-the-day' injury by Jack then they were lining ROK up for a rest but had to play him.

I just don't think he'd have dropped off so suddenly and dramatically. Not a player of his calibre and fitness. I'm putting my money on the fact it's somthing else (injury or role) and he'll bounce back over the coming rounds. If not, then it is a very sad way for one of our very greats to end it but I'm not losing faith in pebbles yet.

I think if Longmire was willing to play him in the middle for full games (like he was just last year), ROK would still be compiling good numbers. As you say, he's a machine when it comes to keeping himself fit and strong, so I doubt he has physically fallen apart since the end of the 2013 season - in which he was 5th in the Skilton, no less. Top 5 in a club B&F in a PF year equates to a pretty damn solid season.

I think it's simply down to Longmire considering our midfield already slow as it is and that with ROK in there, we become very susceptible to being outrun by younger, more athletic midfields. His lack of pace can almost be hidden in the guts of the stoppages. He can still tackle like a beast, funnel out quick handballs by getting his arms free in tackles and launch quick kicks forward for clearances (and yes, those up and unders that so many hate). But he will be caught on the spread from stoppages, or ar least that is what Longmire is concerned about. But he can't really hide his lack of pace on a flank or as a defensive forward, a role predicated on stopping your opponent and or pressuring/tackling fiercely. Particularly when paired up on younger, quicker rebounding flankers. Jude could make it work because he was still relatively agile and quick over a short number of steps. ROK just doesn't have that pace at this stage of his career. So...

Will he make it to 300 ?

..unfortunately, no I don't think he will.

It will be a shame if he doesn't, absolute champion of the club, but that's why the 300 club is so rare, you need a lot to go your way to reach it

It will be a great pity if he misses out on 300 games. He's been Mr. Reliable for such a long time.

I hope he recovers from whatever is causing his dip in form and makes it to the big 3-0-0.

I hope he does earn his spot back, and make it to 300. He is one of my favourite players. So glad that the Blues/Hawks never got him. He has been a champion for so long, and loved his work in the 2012 grannie. I also remember when he used to be one of our primary goal kickers.

BTW really dislike Swans supporters who want to kick our boys when they are down - we need to be a cut above the Blues/Pies/Tigers/Dees feral supporters.

Would have to be harder for Ryan to find a spot now
cooked-turkey-by-goodrob13.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back