Past Ryan O'Keefe - 2012 Norm Smith medalist, retired 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

How did Brandon Jack go in comparison stat wise this week to Rok's last? Did get subbed out but other than the goal I didn't see a massive lot from him. I wouls be interested in knowing to put things in perspective.
Since you asked for stats:

7 disposals (O'Keefe 11)
1 goal (O'Keefe 1)
3 tackles (O'Keefe 6)
0 marks (O'Keefe 3)

Since you asked for stats:

7 disposals (O'Keefe 11)
1 goal (O'Keefe 1)
3 tackles (O'Keefe 6)
0 marks (O'Keefe 3)

Appreciate that, tough to compare when it's a loss v a win but this to me shows Rok isn't cooked and I tend to believe them when they say depends on the match up. Don't mind if he has to play 2's before coming back but he will be back and I'm sure we will see a better output.

Ryan took two marks in the forward 50 and completed more tackles

Brandon Jack was houdini at times but looked to have more influence yesterday in a great team win but I'm saying he hardly did a whole lot more than O'Keefe and the almost gleeful sticking in of the boot to a champion of this club irks me. Brandon Jack could have easily given away a free instead of getting his goal for hanging on but they seem to be giving a lot of allowance in that area this year. Nothing against Brandon Jack as we have to give the future of this club a run I just think a little perspective is needed before we turn on one of our own.

Anyway I shouldn't be making comparisons as rightly so stats don't tell everything. Do think that Ryan has more to give before his career is over as he is a competitive person and in a slump not finished as some here are glad to pronounce.

How did Brandon Jack go in comparison stat wise this week to Rok's last? Did get subbed out but other than the goal I didn't see a massive lot from him. I wouls be interested in knowing to put things in perspective.

I thought the more interesting question was how has he compared to Jude last year:

Ryan (2014*)
K 6.0
H 5.0
D 11.0
M 2.8
G 0.2
B 0
T 2.8
* average over 4 games

Jude (2013*)
K 6.9
H 6.8
D 13.8
M 2.9
G 1.2
B 0.7
T 3.8
* average over 24 games

The problem is that you are looking at 3 of Ryan's 4 games being played in the wet and all 3 being lost with low scoring. Jude played mostly in dry conditions with higher scoring games and a good win loss percentage. Swans average score for first four games is 80 compared to 102 in 2013.

Was it Ryan's fault that the delivery forward was terrible with a lot of bombs ending up being marked by the opposition's spare man in defence? I'm sure the club has some fancy GPS software that would illustrate the comparison better and they would be looking at his speed and other results over the pre season.

In the game we won in dry conditions:

Ryan (Adelaide game 2014)
K 6
H 8
D 14
M 2
G 0
B 0
T 5

Given the circumstances his performance does not look so terrible. Unfortunately the performance of the team over the 4 games was terrible and when that happens changes need to be made. I think there's also something else going on and I suspect that was pre-season.

(NB Ryan was listed as an emergency for yesterday.)

Last edited:

Brandon Jack was houdini at times but looked to have more influence yesterday in a great team win but I'm saying he hardly did a whole lot more than O'Keefe and the almost gleeful sticking in of the boot to a champion of this club irks me. Brandon Jack could have easily given away a free instead of getting his goal for hanging on but they seem to be giving a lot of allowance in that area this year. Nothing against Brandon Jack as we have to give the future of this club a run I just think a little perspective is needed before we turn on one of our own.

Anyway I shouldn't be making comparisons as rightly so stats don't tell everything. Do think that Ryan has more to give before his career is over as he is a competitive person and in a slump not finished as some here are glad to pronounce.

Cant speak for anyone else but i created the thread so will answer

No glee for me at all ever seeing a club great out especially so close to 300 games.

But he is a shadow right now eg his tackle numbers are ok, but his tackles dont stick. He gets a handball but its so slow

Is b jack a world beater no not yesterday but he is young raw and quick and can crumb a goal, stuck up for the skipper, its just a spark rather than an old struggling player

I would love ryan to bounce back, but he was a key part of the losses we cant carry him

Cant speak for anyone else but i created the thread so will answer

No glee for me at all ever seeing a club great out especially so close to 300 games.

But he is a shadow right now eg his tackle numbers are ok, but his tackles dont stick. He gets a handball but its so slow

Is b jack a world beater no not yesterday but he is young raw and quick and can crumb a goal, stuck up for the skipper, its just a spark rather than an old struggling player

I would love ryan to bounce back, but he was a key part of the losses we cant carry him
My opinion mate but I don't think we can play Mitchell and ROK in the same side , one being they are similar in and under mids not small forwards and both lack leg speed and are not crumbing zippy forwards like BJ. BJ will love crumbing of Tippett and will make defenders 2nd guess with his speed

My opinion mate but I don't think we can play Mitchell and ROK in the same side , one being they are similar in and under mids not small forwards and both lack leg speed and are not crumbing zippy forwards like BJ. BJ will love crumbing of Tippett and will make defenders 2nd guess with his speed

Mitchell needs to be in the guts to help kennedy but needs to continue to develop he is the rok replacement so agree to a point, rok needs to reinvent as a marking smaller forward to play alongside mitchell and bird for that matter

The mid group cannot contain bird mitchell and rok

Imagine that chasing all day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitchell needs to be in the guts to help kennedy but needs to continue to develop he is the rok replacement so agree to a point, rok needs to reinvent as a marking smaller forward to play alongside mitchell and bird for that matter

Think he might struggle to make 300

They're different players. BJack is a little like McGlynn as a small forward with a good amount of pace, not sure if he can cope in the midfield. ROK was the prototypical tall forward flanker-cum-inside ball winning midfielder. You'll see BJack running on the outside of a contest whereas you'll see ROK in the clinches tackling and winning the ball.

So we're really comparing apples & oranges.

Unless ROK finds some form in the reserves, I think he's finished.

Well they can handle 2 but not 3. in the '12 GF we had Bird & ROK in the midfield with Kennedy and Hanners, not very quick but was able to get us across the line. We'll miss players like ROK because he's big enough to contest against players like Fyfe, Judd & Pendleberry, just way too slow to keep up with them.

I think some on here have sold O'keefe a little short (not singling anyone out).

I don't think he's a spent force yet. I'd like to see O'keefe back in the side when we have a functioning forward line and our midfield are back to their hungriest.

While he was below his best so far, we only had a small sample size on which to judge him, and the sample was not the most representative eg wet weather, dysfunctional forward line and poor effort across the board. So to write him off on that basis would be a huge disservice to someone who's served our club proudly throughout our greatest period, and who was a major component of that success.

He definitely has to earn his spot back, but I'd like to see him come back when things are running a little smoother. My only issue is, we need people who can come in and respond when things aren't going well, if ROK can't produce in that situation, then it really counts against him come finals where you have to be able to stand up when things AREN'T going your way. He hasn't proven that he has that capability at this stage in his career, but I really want to see him given another shot to prove himself.

In an ideal world where loyalty comes first, ROK will play his games this year and end on a good note, retire and begin his next chapter of life.

In the real world, he'll be sidelined and come in due to injuries, the coaching staff will develop a younger player that on paper isn't much different than ROK (statistics) but at least they have room to develop and can do more off-ball.

As we all know, it's short into the season, but by round 10 to 15 I'm sure we'll be certain about it.

ROK faces his mortality with the game, I certainly feel a high percentage chance he'll move to a club that's struggling and wants his leadership or experience but I will say it's also likely for him to retire, especially if no offers are presented to him.

Not going to dwell on this until later because god damn I love the bloke, but by mid season, we can all assume what's on the table for him in the Swans. I don't think he'll play these 2 weeks, since we're building towards a big Hawk game and with a good performance against Freo as well.

If he's dropped off the pace a bit this year, it's unrealistic to expect him to play next year - at any club. We have too much competition for spots in the midfield and forward, and other teams would see him as too risky. Barring a spate of injuries, I expect 300 might be beyond him, sadly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back