Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

Last year sam stated an aspiration of kicking 100 points per game and he is obviously trying to implement an attacking game but id suggest clubs focus on the method more than any specific kpi. You cant control the conditions or the opposition so winning games is about adapting to those conditions within a broad approach. Generating good opportunities, being dangerous without being loose at stoppages, defending as a team etc. coaches will tweak those elements based on their philosophy but if a side wins by fifty but only scores 90, i dont think they will see it as a missed kpi because they didnt kick 100 points.
I sometimes wonder if teams have a specific score target in mind for certain teams, and once the outcome occurs then it goes back to the general view, probably to complicated though and why the general rule of first to 100 seems to hold up pretty well.

The continual addition of teams to the competition make it increasingly difficult to play finals which will only disenchantise fans and affect following.

While the wild card system may not be the answer, the system will need to change
I wish they hadn't called it a wild card weekend. Loads of people bristle at anything American without looking at the benefits, it's a great idea.

Less tanking
More interest late in the season
More football!
No stupid week off before finals, instead there is 2 cut throat finals.
More money for the comp.
More football!!!

It's a no brainer for me.

disenchantise is my word of the day :D
A late nineteenth century pick up line: "M'Lady, I find you strangely enchantising, we should adjourn to the nearest cul-de-sac and overlook your board de faire."

I wish they hadn't called it a wild card weekend. Loads of people bristle at anything American without looking at the benefits, it's a great idea.

Less tanking
More interest late in the season
More football!
No stupid week off before finals, instead there is 2 cut throat finals.
More money for the comp.
More football!!!

It's a no brainer for me.

Two finals which are very likely meh in interest

It is what great clubs do. They make the hard calls when they need to. Hawthorn has had a tendency to do so correctly, most times.

Massive kudos also goes out to Ben McEvoy who stood up and also 'represented' the younger breed on our list when they felt it was best for Clarko to leave immediately, not at the end of the season.
Yes - really gutsy by McEvoy. He was a very fine captain despite his brief and largely unsuccessful tenure in that role. How many would have been able to front management and state clearly and concisely that the handover plan was not working? He had the trust and support of the players and was able to represent their experience with such effectiveness that management had to act. A true Hawthorn legend.

Honestly, I don't expect Saturday's win, as awesome and immensely enjoyable and satisfying as it was, to be any kind of big 'turn the corner' moment. Our list is still extraordinarily young and inexperienced, we still have a bumpy road ahead, with lots of ups and downs. We will still have losses that make the short-sighted fans kneejerk and howl that the sky is falling in. Some of our youngsters will still have bad days that cause said fans to scream for their heads.

But we are absolutely headed in the right direction. I'm getting serious 05-06 vibes from the team right now (and we we know where that led), and it's clear that Sammy, while still a rookie coach who will make mistakes, is a seriously canny operator.

We just continue to need to be patient.

We've got numerous players having breakout seasons by a significant margin.
Luke Breust having one of his best seasons.
Midfield purring.
Seamus Mitchell and Conor Nash hitting elite form after position changes.
Serong switch to defence looks promising at BH.

Sam Mitchell is coaching out of his skin.

We've got numerous players having breakout seasons by a significant margin.
Luke Breust having one of his best seasons.
Midfield purring.
Seamus Mitchell and Conor Nash hitting elite form after position changes.
Serong switch to defence looks promising at BH.

Sam Mitchell is coaching out of his skin.
Have been saying it to any and everyone since he came from West Coast - ‘but we’ve got Sam Mitchell’.

His calmness, ability to identify and champion talent, and his focus on the longer term objective will put us on the right path.

His winning record, love for an attacking style of play, and ability to ignore group think will give us the best chance of standing apart from the pack when it really matter.

GO HAWKS.

Have been saying it to any and everyone since he came from West Coast - ‘but we’ve got Sam Mitchell’.

His calmness, ability to identify and champion talent, and his focus on the longer term objective will put us on the right path.

His winning record, love for an attacking style of play, and ability to ignore group think will give us the best chance of standing apart from the pack when it really matter.

GO HAWKS.
While our performances this year are a little worse than last year, the team and list have moved forward. Everyone can see it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While our performances this year are a little worse than last year, the team and list have moved forward. Everyone can see it.
Better to be at the bottom of a mountain you want to climb versus halfway up one you don't want.

The work we've done over the last 18 months has us on the right mountain and probably further up than we could have hoped.

Better to be at the bottom of a mountain you want to climb versus halfway up one you don't want.

The work we've done over the last 18 months has us on the right mountain and probably further up than we could have hoped.

Sometimes you have to go up the mountain in front of you to be able to see the ones with higher peaks

What?! Two elimination finals between 4 teams next two each other are meh in interest? The hell is wrong with you!
In the NBA 7 plays 8 winner goes in and the loser plays winner of 9 and 10. So there is incentive in the 7/8 game with a second chance. In the AFL it's just going to be two games and loser goes out, no incentive to finish 7/8.

Sometimes you have to go up the mountain in front of you to be able to see the ones with higher peaks

As long as we're all doing like Confucius with the mountains.

The-man-who-moves-a-mountain-begins-by-carrying-away-small-stones.-Confucius.jpg

Brad Scott on 360 on Monday said “Mick Malthose would always say to me that you’ve never coached until you’ve coached a bottom side. Because you’ve got to learn how to lose, how to come through that and build a winning culture from that.”

I think we’re just starting to see the very early building of the winning culture.

Just a reflection on the Sun game re Newk, Day and Worps in particular. One thing that stood out to me is when they all get that first touch they use a side step or two or their body/arms to avoid/delay a tackle while looking around weighing up their next option of whether to go themselves or give it off to a teammate in a better position ……… so Sammy like. He moved like a snake in congestion and I bet the coach is in all of their back pockets! Their development as players more than likely would not be on the same path without him! He was a little master now trying to teach them his tricks. We are so lucky to have him 🙏

Just a reflection on the Sun game re Newk, Day and Worps in particular. One thing that stood out to me is when they all get that first touch they use a side step or two or their body/arms to avoid/delay a tackle while looking around weighing up their next option of whether to go themselves or give it off to a teammate in a better position ……… so Sammy like. He moved like a snake in congestion and I bet the coach is in all of their back pockets! Their development as players more than likely would not be on the same path without him! He was a little master now trying to teach them his tricks. We are so lucky to have him 🙏
Good call out, I have noticed the same as well. The way they shimmy and side step to buy time to weigh up options, does remind a bit of Sam.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back