Sam Robson officially a turncoat

Remove this Banner Ad

They're better off going with a batsman ahead of Woakes, although if you're relying on Plunkett to hold up his end you're kind of on a hiding to nothing anyway.

Can't see Ali doing much better than Samit Patel did in a similar sort of role.

This was the perfect summer schedule where we could just tear everything down and start all over again with a load of new players. Rebuild for the future with the team I suggested. The team that downton has picked is sh*t IMO. No aggression or flair . Even India will be licking their lips when they see that team.

I thought Woakes might be a good prospect ,but he bowls gun barrel straight (as Hussain commented at the oval 5th test).
Any decent test batsmen will be lining up to face him. Plunkett has played at internatinal level before and made no impact.
Its just my opinion...

Woakes will be ok in English conditions. I've got a soft spot for Samit Patel, I wish he could get a decent go in test cricket.

Surprised Stokes isn't near it, as some have said.

Heard some suggestions Robson was never going to make it in the Australian system and has excelled in the County Championship.

I guess all is exposed on the Test circuit, whichever path you take.

About as good a situation as a new batsmen could get, 7 tests in conditions that likely won't suit spinners so your biggest threat is the sri lankan and indian pacemen.

Feel a bit for carberry he toughed it out here(and had some unlucky dismissals) and then he misses out on the all you can eat buffet.

Feel a bit for carberry he toughed it out here(and had some unlucky dismissals) and then he misses out on the all you can eat buffet.

It's a strange one with Carberry. Performed moderately well throughout a tough tour as a test opener, couldn't get a look in for the ODI side despite the English struggling just as much. Goes back to England and has done pretty well in county cricket, but finds himself on the outer of the test team and opening the batting in the ODI's. What on earth is going on there?

Surprised Stokes isn't near it, as some have said.

Heard some suggestions Robson was never going to make it in the Australian system and has excelled in the County Championship.

I guess all is exposed on the Test circuit, whichever path you take.

Stokes isn't in because he has only just come back from his broken wrist. Robson would have made his way into the NSW side eventually, but chose the security of Middlesex who were able to offer him immediate opportunity as an opener as well as a nice stable contract from a young age. NSW weren't willing or able to do that, so it wasn't a terribly difficult decision for him in the end.

Woakes will be ok in English conditions. I've got a soft spot for Samit Patel, I wish he could get a decent go in test cricket.

Patel's been in some pretty impressive form of late. Can see why there's skepticism that he'll ever be able to perform like that at international level though.

Stokes isn't in because he has only just come back from his broken wrist. Robson would have made his way into the NSW side eventually, but chose the security of Middlesex who were able to offer him immediate opportunity as an opener as well as a nice stable contract from a young age. NSW weren't willing or able to do that, so it wasn't a terribly difficult decision for him in the end.
Ah, okay, I wasn't aware of that with Stokes.

That's different to hear on Robson. I'd heard he'd been told he'd never make it and wasn't really considered a prospect at all - but then again, I'm hearing all this long after he's defected to England from stuffy administrators and coaches in NSW. Hope he goes well, just not against us.

Ah, okay, I wasn't aware of that with Stokes.

That's different to hear on Robson. I'd heard he'd been told he'd never make it and wasn't really considered a prospect at all - but then again, I'm hearing all this long after he's defected to England from stuffy administrators and coaches in NSW. Hope he goes well, just not against us.

It should also be pointed out that at the same time Warner was struggling to break into the New South Wales team. There was strong competition for top order spots at the time

Stokes coming back from injury. Punched on with a locker in a fit of ginga rage. Not enough cricket under his belt to risk him yet.

Would be a shoe in otherwise.

Frankly, I think the squad is quite Ballanced....:D

Admission of Patel only real surprise. Otherwise its all pretty much expected. Plunkett has been getting bags and bowling quickly.

Ali is a good pick.

Jordan a no-brainer.

Prior ahead of Buttler cos of his skills with the gloves, and recently made a ton. I hate the bastard, but I think England need him in their test side cos he looks an accomplished player.

This entire squad is a joke IMO. Prior isnt even fully fit and hasnt scored a run since the NZ tour .

Yes, cant play others ie Stokes as they haven't played enough cricket but he comes straight back in.

Agree re Plunkett. May as well go back to Geraint Jones behind the stumps.

Plunkett is only 29, no reason to throw a quick bowler on the scrap heap that young. Besides, if he's not bowling alongside Harmison, he'll probably be fine.

I remember some horror spells from him and Harmy in tandem one summer in England. Like Mitch at his worst, only from both ends.:eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, cant play others ie Stokes as they haven't played enough cricket but he comes straight back in.

Agree re Plunkett. May as well go back to Geraint Jones behind the stumps.

I always liked Jones and was glad to see that recently he made a return to county cricket on loan to Gloucestershire whilst their keeper is injured. Been making some runs so could happen!

I always liked Jones and was glad to see that recently he made a return to county cricket on loan to Gloucestershire whilst their keeper is injured. Been making some runs so could happen!

Saw him smack it all over the place in a T20 game a few days ago. Seems like a decent bloke. Not sure what happened to Kieswetter, he was all the rage a few years ago.

Onions also must have upset someone. He is very good in English conditions.

Not sure why James Taylor can't get a look in, got a couple of tests as a very young debutant when the South African's toured two years back and was far from disgraced. Has been making plenty of runs for Nottinghamshire ever since. James Vince is another one who has been in a hot run of form, but I suppose they want to give the incumbents in Ballance and Root a bit more of a go.

yeah ,forgot about Taylor. Another decent player who has been thrown on the scrap heap. He should have gone on the ashes tour rather than someone like Ballance .

="medusala"]
Saw him smack it all over the place in a T20 game a few days ago. Seems like a decent bloke. Not sure what happened to Kieswetter, he was all the rage a few years ago.

Onions also must have upset someone. He is very good in English conditions.

Onions ,Finn ,Mills ,etc
all better picks . In fact that trio would be a great attack ..

yeah ,forgot about Taylor. Another decent player who has been thrown on the scrap heap. He should have gone on the ashes tour rather than someone like Ballance .

Saw him make a decent score vs us at Brighton in the last Ashes in England. Looked far more at easier than Morgan, Bairstow and the like. Not a world beater but looks to have a decent technique and good temperament.

Stokes has been told to bowl more over for Durham!

I wouldn't rubbish Plunkett too much. He could really surprise you all.

In honesty, it won't be that different from the team that plays the Aussies at Lords in 2015.

Maybe either Root or Ballance might have been replaced by then. I suspect Eoin Morgan isn't too far away from a recall.

Wow Liam Plunkett is a serious plodder. Very average cricketer. I never thought he would ever get another England callup.

England must be scraping the bottom of the barrel if he is anywhere near the squad (not to mention a few of the other names in the squad).
I look forward to him getting a 5 wicket haul to shut you up

A few years back I remember watching Ian Bell struggle for UWA in WA Grade cricket. Now he's England's best bat...go figure.

Sam Robson is a traitor ... No doubt! But Cricket Australia dropped the ball big time by not recognising his talent at a young age. What are our cricket scouts doing?

Sam Robson is a traitor ... No doubt! But Cricket Australia dropped the ball big time by not recognising his talent at a young age. What are our cricket scouts doing?
By the time he'd displayed even a scrap of good form he was gone. Wouldn't have made it if he'd stayed in Australia, fairly sure he's said that himself.

By the time he'd displayed even a scrap of good form he was gone. Wouldn't have made it if he'd stayed in Australia, fairly sure he's said that himself.

He obviously isn't one of those "purely natural" talents like a Warner. He is a "manufactured" talent.

Here in Australia he would of been told to be more attacking and he isn't good enough to do that so would of been lost in the shuffle I'd suspect. Over in England they celebrate dour/boring cricket so he would of felt right at home there.

Still think he may be found out next tour by Australia (SL is akin to facing an ordinary domestic attack).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back