Official West Indies Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Suck s**t England - again.

This has ‘we will jettison some players, pick some fringe guys because it’s just the WI and we will win anyway’ written all over it. And you didn’t. So suck it hard and deep.

The conclusion I draw at the moment is this:

Australia has lost two cricket World Cup matches in the last few months, the West Indies have lost none.

The West Indies are undefeated in bi-lateral ODI series this year.
Australia are winless.

Australia have lost their most recent white ball series.

West Indies won theirs.

Ergo, West Indies are a more powerful white ball cricket side.

Sobers is the only West Indian I can think of off the top of my head - I’ll do some googling.
Davidson is still alive isn’t he?

'Davo' died recently. Neil Harvey, Bob Simpson and Ian Meckiff are still alive from the Aussie side. Cammie Smith, Rohan Kanhai and Wes Hall are still alive from the West Indies side from the Tied Test.

'Davo' died recently. Neil Harvey, Bob Simpson and Ian Meckiff are still alive from the Aussie side. Cammie Smith, Rohan Kanhai and Wes Hall are still alive from the West Indies side from the Tied Test.

That’s nice to know. I must in my younger years as the sort of cricket geek who would just eat up scorecards for breakfast lunch and dinner I would have sworn blind that at least two of the three Ws were in the side but nope. No Weekes or Walcott

That’s nice to know. I must in my younger years as the sort of cricket geek who would just eat up scorecards for breakfast lunch and dinner I would have sworn blind that at least two of the three Ws were in the side but nope. No Weekes or Walcott

Weekes and Walcott were here in 1951-52 along with Frank Worrell. I'm sure you're aware they were known as 'the 3 W's'.

Weekes and Walcott were here in 1951-52 along with Frank Worrell. I'm sure you're aware they were known as 'the 3 W's'.

Yes that’s what I very poorly tried to say in my previous post, I had the thought in my head that at least two of the 3 w’s were in the tied test - Worrell and Walcott I think - but no, just Worrell.

Have England claimed a moral victory over the WI side as yet?

Is Piers Morgan anywhere to be seen (he wouldn't be happy seeing Arsenal also went down to Aston Villa on the weekend). No doubt Nasser Hussain has put the series defeat down to fatigue?

Great to see.......

When does the test squad get announced for Aus?

Surely we see Hope named and hopefully Gabriel is fit to partner up with Joseph and Roach.

Sometimes you need to take a punt on players talent and white ball results much like Eng , Aus and India have over the past decade successfully and I would really hope they can somehow get Pooran into the test line up. He is one of the most talented bats Windies have produced in a while. Doesn't mean he has to be a lock for the side but at least in the squad. I rate Mayers but I would rather Pooran in the middle order.

Chanderpaul
Braithwaite
Alick
Hope
Pooran/ Blackwood/
Mayers/Holder
De Silva
Joseph
Gabriel
Motie assuming they play a front line spinner
Roach

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suck s**t England - again.

This has ‘we will jettison some players, pick some fringe guys because it’s just the WI and we will win anyway’ written all over it. And you didn’t. So suck it hard and deep.

The conclusion I draw at the moment is this:

Australia has lost two cricket World Cup matches in the last few months, the West Indies have lost none.

The West Indies are undefeated in bi-lateral ODI series this year.
Australia are winless.

Australia have lost their most recent white ball series.

West Indies won theirs.

Ergo, West Indies are a more powerful white ball cricket side.
Off topic, but you're the one guy I know who'd know...Lance Armstrong, according to the s**t news feed I can't get rid of when I start up the computer, allegedly had a motor on his bike! Heard that one before?

Off topic, but you're the one guy I know who'd know...Lance Armstrong, according to the s**t news feed I can't get rid of when I start up the computer, allegedly had a motor on his bike! Heard that one before?

There has been a lot of speculation about a brief period where cyclists were using these tiny but still very helpful motors in the centre frame of their bikes that would not actually drive the bike on its own but would make the job a lot easier when things were getting tough during the s**t parts of the stages.

It wasn’t unique to Armstrong though and may have even come along after he had finished I’m not sure of the timeline of when the motors were alleged to have been in use

I heard Sir Viv say that the Windies took their fitness fairly seriously in their hey day, and when you combine that with the genetics of Caribbean people who are largely of West & Central African stock, then you're going to enhance the competitive advantage that they had. Contrast this to Alan Border's comments that the Aussies in his era should've done a lot more work on their fitness than they did for elite cricketers, and the struggles we had until we managed to turn it around towards the end of his reign. The body shapes of our top guys such as AB, Boon, Merv, etc were a bit different to Calypso Kings.

By all means, look at the advantage we have now with 3 top line pace bowlers each with 200+ test wickets. The team is well into their 30s and better than ever. The High Performance space in Australian Cricket is the best in the sport and helps us dominate. Windies did it in an era of doing the basics of looking after yourself really well. Now it's a science, they just don't have the facilities and resources to compete.

I heard Sir Viv say that the Windies took their fitness fairly seriously in their hey day, and when you combine that with the genetics of Caribbean people who are largely of West & Central African stock, then you're going to enhance the competitive advantage that they had. Contrast this to Alan Border's comments that the Aussies in his era should've done a lot more work on their fitness than they did for elite cricketers, and the struggles we had until we managed to turn it around towards the end of his reign. The body shapes of our top guys such as AB, Boon, Hughes, etc were a bit different to Calypso Kings.

By all means, look at the advantage we have now with 3 top line pace bowlers each with 200+ test wickets. The team is well into their 30s and better than ever. The High Performance space in Australian Cricket is the best in the sport and helps us dominate. Windies did it in an era of doing the basics of looking after yourself really well. Now it's a science, they just don't have the facilities and resources to compete.
It didn't look like that at the time and the contrast between the Richards' West Indies side and the Border/Simpson drilled side was quite noticeable. When the Windies warmed up for a match they'd come on in dribs and drabs do some stretches and maybe in the end some fielding drills while the Aussies would come on together, run a few laps, then Allcott would lead them through stretches and warm ups followed by a Simmo fielding session. The West Indians may have worked on their fitness behind closed doors but at the time we looked the far more professional outfit even if the results might not have reflected that for a few years yet.

test squad:
Kraigg Brathwaite (capt), Alzarri Joseph, Tagenarine Chanderpaul, Kirk McKenzie, Alick Athanaze, Kavem Hodge, Justin Greaves, Joshua Da Silva, Akeem Jordan, Gudakesh Motie, Kemar Roach, Kevin Sinclair, Tevin Imlach, Shamar Joseph, Zachary McCaskie

Holder and Mayers both declined call ups to play franchise T20s as expected.

The squad looks ahhhh... not good.

test squad:
Kraigg Brathwaite (capt), Alzarri Joseph, Tagenarine Chanderpaul, Kirk McKenzie, Alick Athanaze, Kavem Hodge, Justin Greaves, Joshua Da Silva, Akeem Jordan, Gudakesh Motie, Kemar Roach, Kevin Sinclair, Tevin Imlach, Shamar Joseph, Zachary McCaskie

Glad Kavem Hodge is there. Played well on the A Tour to SA.

Obviously shattered Jase isn’t playing, reading the story about his absence it makes a lot more sense though for anyone wanting to play the t20 World Cup, at home, they weren’t given a huge amount of leeway in order to be considered for the WC squad and playing the test series would have almost certainly ruined his chances. So I can understand it. And he’s said - and I want to take him at his word - unequivocally that he still wants to play test cricket.

Really Looking forward to seeing what Athanaze can do on pitches with some pace in them.

It’s not a ‘bad’ squad.

It’s about as good as they could have picked I think given who declined to come - I wouldn’t have picked Mayers anyway. I’m glad they didn’t pick Chase again, Blackwood I probably thought they would have picked because he hit his token one promising good score a series in SA last season but deserved to be dropped.

I don’t really know why they have left Bonner out to be honest

Jayden Seales is a bit of a mystery

The Adelaide test starts on a Wednesday (!!) and I was going to take Thursday and Friday off work to go and see it (I don't have much leave up my sleeve).

I've now come to the conclusion that I'll have to take the Wednesday off as it probably wont last 3 days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back