Official West Indies Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I’ve probably made one of these previously but couldn’t be bothered checking.

Figured ahead of some world-domination determining limited overs matches against England and a tour of Australia this thread needed to be done for the sake of general discussion of the worlds mightiest cricket superpower.

A recent administrative change was made putting a guy called Miles Bascombe in as director of cricket who has stated he has aimed at four years to turn the ODI side in particular into something resembling a good outfit (I’m assuming that’s related to the World Cup time frame).

On a good note, in their tour of SA, the A team won their unofficial first test this morning and almost in typical West Indian fashion they did it how you’d nearly come to expect:

After three close innings - SA declared at 9-287, WI made 9-314 in reply and SA were bowled out for 250 in their second innings, WI were all but gone at 8-148 needing another 76 to win, and then at 9-171. With Jair McAlister - boasting a highest FC score of 12, and an average of 3 for company - bowling all rounder Kevin Sinclair hit an unbeaten 80 to guide the mighty Windies home in a thriller.

Boys, you don’t want to admit it but another 20 years of getting your arses kicked is just around the corner.

On a good note, in their tour of SA, the A team won their unofficial first test this morning and almost in typical West Indian fashion they did it how you’d nearly come to expect:

After three close innings - SA declared at 9-287, WI made 9-314 in reply and SA were bowled out for 250 in their second innings, WI were all but gone at 8-148 needing another 76 to win, and then at 9-171. With Jair McAlister - boasting a highest FC score of 12, and an average of 3 for company - bowling all rounder Kevin Sinclair hit an unbeaten 80 to guide the mighty Windies home in a thriller.
The second innings updates remind me of the 2023 WC game between Australia and Afghanistan. Is Sinclair the next Glenn Maxwell?

Politics and lack of money is killing international cricket in several countries. It's sad to see the demise of WI cricket. Brian Lara and Curtley Ambrose are the best I've seen in their respective disciplines.

The second innings updates remind me of the 2023 WC game between Australia and Afghanistan. Is Sinclair the next Glenn Maxwell?

Politics and lack of money is killing international cricket in several countries. It's sad to see the demise of WI cricket. Brian Lara and Curtley Ambrose are the best I've seen in their respective disciplines.

My bias tells me the same thing though I could make a case for Steyn being the equal of Ambrose and smith albeit not as thrillingly and without quite meeting the same level of opposition as regularly, being as good as Lara.

I’ve been saying this as much out of hope as I have out of reason for probably two years now but the test team is JUST hanging in there. There’s enough to work with and they keep popping up with good performances and wins with enough regularity to make them not dissimilar to a pre-Williamson NZ side.

Kraigg Brathwaite has had a really good couple of years and captaincy has brought out the best in his batting. He’s never going to excite anyone but it sets a good example for his team. He and Chanderpaul are a good pair. It was interesting to see Darren Bravo return to T and T for the Super 50 tournament and make quite a few runs - 416 at 83 - as they won handsomely. He didn’t get named in their squad to face England and I’m not sure if he made himself available but gee I’d love to see him just give two years of his career to finish in the test squad. Those three in the top four would be maybe not world class, but test class at least.

There’s a bit to work with

My bias tells me the same thing though I could make a case for Steyn being the equal of Ambrose and smith albeit not as thrillingly and without quite meeting the same level of opposition as regularly, being as good as Lara.

I’ve been saying this as much out of hope as I have out of reason for probably two years now but the test team is JUST hanging in there. There’s enough to work with and they keep popping up with good performances and wins with enough regularity to make them not dissimilar to a pre-Williamson NZ side.

Kraigg Brathwaite has had a really good couple of years and captaincy has brought out the best in his batting. He’s never going to excite anyone but it sets a good example for his team. He and Chanderpaul are a good pair. It was interesting to see Darren Bravo return to T and T for the Super 50 tournament and make quite a few runs - 416 at 83 - as they won handsomely. He didn’t get named in their squad to face England and I’m not sure if he made himself available but gee I’d love to see him just give two years of his career to finish in the test squad. Those three in the top four would be maybe not world class, but test class at least.

There’s a bit to work with
Chanderpaul impressed me during the last test series in Aus, and I'm interested to see how he goes this time around. Does he remind you of his dad?

There's definitely a bit to work with, no argument from me. I question whether politics and lack of funding will enable WI cricket to protect their talent from T20 leagues. WI won't be the only team to face that issue.

Chanderpaul impressed me during the last test series in Aus, and I'm interested to see how he goes this time around. Does he remind you of his dad?

There's definitely a bit to work with, no argument from me. I question whether politics and lack of funding will enable WI cricket to protect their talent from T20 leagues. WI won't be the only team to face that issue.

The physical comparisons are obviously there, I just hope he doesn’t get too caught up in trying extra hard to be the stick-in-the mud type. Develop some shots, have some get off strike tactics; that’s what made his dad such an incredible player, that coiled spring ability to pull and hook basically from any line when the ball was short, the way he walked into his drives outside off stump, the chips into the on side and the famous ‘nudges and nurdles.’

Yes he could block with the best of them but he only went into total lockdown when he had to, it wasn’t his complete default.

I am really disappointed we haven’t seen Nkrumah Bonner return since his concussion. He has a shithouse first class record but averaged almost 40 in his 15 tests before being sconned in Perth last summer. He’s barely played since - a couple of first class games for no runs, though he did hit a couple of 70s in the Super 50 so who knows, they may get him back in the test squad. He was very slow too but he seemed to find his niche in test cricket

Cricket is so much better with a competitive Windies side, international cricket is really lacking in decent sides, especially in the longer formats. Doesn't help that the big 3 boards only care about themselves to the detriment of countries with less resources, and wonder why nobody rocks up to a one sided test match in Australia.

Ah well, hope see some improvement this summer from the Windies, they won't win, but individual performances do matter.

Same old s**t like this is why West Indies will remain where it is

It’s sad and disappointing but I’m glad he hasn’t actually come out and abused someone or told them off at the very least, and he hasn’t put a line through anything. They haven’t named a test squad or anything like that yet so maybe something like this will actually prompt someone from their administration to contact him and put the feelers out maybe in advance, who knows.

I wish they had just done the intelligent thing and named him in the one day squad in the first place

seemed to be a few West Indians in the Abu Dhabi T10 comp they showed on Fox last night/this morning (day 3)

This is really disappointing - I saw dowrich’s name appear in this squad and while I wasn’t expecting Gilchristian things from him or some sort of late career rebirth it has been nice to see names like his and Bravo’s back in the domestic scene even if it has so far not led to anything internationally. A few weeks on from the end of the Super 50 and we are still in the same place.

Dowrich at one point had a really strong run in test cricket where for roughly two years he was among the best keeper batsmen going around (it coincided with a relatively weak period generally it must be said). He and Holder forged a really strong union at 7-8 or sometimes 6-7.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Windies remind me so much of Carlton. Historical success that has been tempered by several years of failings in recent times. Some glimmers of hope in between but largely sheer despondency. Hopefully though that as Carlton has seemingly turned the corne, the same will come for the Windies.

What's the standard of the local domestic (red ball) comp these days over there Phat?

Still poor but slightly improved in the last couple of years - players like alick Athanaze were consistent and showed enough to suggest they could cut it at a higher level, and they have put in both the academy and the combined colleges and campuses this year into the white ball comp which was good and they held their own; I can’t find any info on whether they have been given a spot in the four day comp that is being staged in the first half of 2024. CCC were a bit of a bust last time they were given entry but I believe it will help this time around.

As with this one. Usually behind a paywall but I was able to read without one.

Kim Hughes spoke about his concerns around the West Indies for their tour here but the issues have been around for a long time, it's just that Hughes cares enough to speak about their plight before they tour here.

Kevlon Anderson hit a century overnight for WI Academy against Ireland Academy in a match that has first class status. This is exactly what we need more of. The most glaring problem we have by far from a development perspective is the ability to construct innings. If a player can make 50s, he can make 100s, and we have no shortage of players good enough to do that. What happens between the ears determines whether they have what it takes to make 100s and simply put, we have too few guys who can do that at the moment.

More of this please.

Great result

Hope is brilliant. I know his test numbers don't stack up but technically he is one of the best bats coming out of the Windies in a long time. Hope they pick him for the Aus tour. Would much rather see him take on this Aus attack rather than the likes of Chase etc

Great result

Hope is brilliant. I know his test numbers don't stack up but technically he is one of the best bats coming out of the Windies in a long time. Hope they pick him for the Aus tour. Would much rather see him take on this Aus attack rather than the likes of Chase etc

His strike rate career wise in ODI cricket still carries a lot of baggage from early in his career but he’s definitely put that behind him and aside from NZ - I suspect off the top of my head that he has had a lot of trouble with Trent Boult bringing the ball into him - he has no holes in his record at all. He’s one of the genuinely great one day openers if he can drag that strike rate up into the 80s and finish with 25-30 centuries.

His strike rate career wise in ODI cricket still carries a lot of baggage from early in his career but he’s definitely put that behind him and aside from NZ - I suspect off the top of my head that he has had a lot of trouble with Trent Boult bringing the ball into him - he has no holes in his record at all. He’s one of the genuinely great one day openers if he can drag that strike rate up into the 80s and finish with 25-30 centuries.
Hope they pick him for the Aus tour. The guy can bat I know a test average of 25 doesn’t seem to great but considering some of the batsmen they sent out here last year like Chase Blackwood and the likes I’d be backing Hope to be able to handle the conditions and opposition better.

Hope they pick him for the Aus tour. The guy can bat I know a test average of 25 doesn’t seem to great but considering some of the batsmen they sent out here last year like Chase Blackwood and the likes I’d be backing Hope to be able to handle the conditions and opposition better.

I’ve said a lot about Blackwood I can cop because he offers a weapon: he can attack and he presents a danger if he gets off the leash. He doesn’t show it often enough but it’s there.
Chase early in his career looked like he had the mental wherewithal to sustain a good career despite having a flaky technique, unfortunately that mental fortitude has all but disappeared.

Hope has a strong technique and I’d like to see them pick him as well.

Last edited:
5000 ODI runs in the same number of innings as Richards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back