Official West Indies Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s about as good as they could have picked I think given who declined to come - I wouldn’t have picked Mayers anyway. I’m glad they didn’t pick Chase again, Blackwood I probably thought they would have picked because he hit his token one promising good score a series in SA last season but deserved to be dropped.

I don’t really know why they have left Bonner out to be honest

Jayden Seales is a bit of a mystery
Can they realistically take the tests into a 4th day Phat or is it going to be a bloodbath?

I have to admit that as a SACA member, I'm pretty pissed off that we have the Windies again.

The Adelaide test starts on a Wednesday (!!) and I was going to take Thursday and Friday off work to go and see it (I don't have much leave up my sleeve).

I've now come to the conclusion that I'll have to take the Wednesday off as it wont last 3 days.

Look that is a distinct possibility but 12 months ago they did a better job in the Perth test (batting wise) than Pakistan did.

The second test….. not so much. The second test was more like what Pakistan did at Perth. Remember Australia will have to bat once and they’re not prone to just making 300 and declaring boisterously

Can they realistically take the tests into a 4th day Phat or is it going to be a bloodbath?

I have to admit that as a SACA member, I'm pretty pissed off that we have the Windies again.

yes they can.

A year ago I would have said that their bowling, with their best line up, gives them their best chance of at least being competitive. I would swap that over now.
A) their bowling, though unlucky and unsupported at times last summer, was poor in general and with no holder, once more no Gabriel, and no Seales, it’s unlikely to be better. Motie is a way better bowler than Chase and probably Warrican though as a spin option so that’s one plus.

B) their batting actually DID show a bit. Brathwaite was really good here. Chanderpaul showed quite a bit, it was only that last innings in Adelaide that we were truly out of our depth. That opening combo is still there, Athanaze looks really good, Hodge and McKenzie have shown a bit. It’s a big ask to come out here with no experience and compete but yes they do have it in them to compete.

I hope Da Silva can find something. He’s gone right off the boil.

test squad:
Kraigg Brathwaite (capt), Alzarri Joseph, Tagenarine Chanderpaul, Kirk McKenzie, Alick Athanaze, Kavem Hodge, Justin Greaves, Joshua Da Silva, Akeem Jordan, Gudakesh Motie, Kemar Roach, Kevin Sinclair, Tevin Imlach, Shamar Joseph, Zachary McCaskie
Brathwaite
Chanderpaul
Athanaze
Da Silva
Joseph
Motie
Roach

Help me fill these blanks please PhatBoy as I have no idea who these guys are and wouldn't mind some background on them.

It looks a worse squad than last year, but I don't follow WI cricket extremely closely

Last year was one of the worst games I've seen but in the last five or six years I've also seen a side bowled out for 30 odd and a triple century, fomo will see me there plus any time you get a chance to go to a Test match it's a privilege.

Brathwaite
Chanderpaul
Athanaze
Da Silva
Joseph
Motie
Roach

Help me fill these blanks please PhatBoy as I have no idea who these guys are and wouldn't mind some background on them.
I'm no Phatboy but my guess would be:

Braithwaite
Chanderpaul
McKenzie
Athanaze
Hodge
Da Silva
Sinclair
A. Joseph
Motie
Roach
S. Jospeh

But you can really lottery number 5, the all-rounder and the last bowling spot. I'm pretty confident McKenzie will play.

Brathwaite
Chanderpaul
Athanaze
Da Silva
Joseph
Motie
Roach

Sorry I got myself in a tangle with Hodge. It wasn’t the SA tour he made a century on but he did make some runs during that tour and I would expect him to play. It was Da Silva who made the century and returned to a bit of form.

The innings I was thinking of was Kevin Sinclair’s in the first unofficial ‘test’ when he made 80-odd not out and guided them home by a wicket to win. That may have been enough to get him in the side as well.

I think corbies team is pretty close to the money though I’d like Jordan to be considered

I would like to see them roll something like this. Admittedly not a close follower and basing most on stats and limited viewing.

Brathwaite
Chanderpaul
McKenzie
McCaskie
Athanaze
Hodge
Da Silva
Motie
A Joseph
Roach
K Joseph

Sinclair
Imlach
Greaves
Jordan

got no idea on how they will line up.

10 different players touring to what they had here just 12 months ago.

Players not coming this time round : Blackwood. Brooks, Bonner, Thomas, Chase, Mayers, Holder, Reifer, Phillip, Seales.

1703124352875.png

Attachments

• 1703124182012.png
    1703124182012.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 22
He’s had very limited cricket since but I just don’t know what Bonner has done since that hit on the bonce to be so forgotten.

He had really kind of forged a niche in their side, he had a role and he played it, averaged almost 40 over 15 tests, then he wasn’t there.
And he’s actually coming off runs in their one day comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s had very limited cricket since but I just don’t know what Bonner has done since that hit on the bonce to be so forgotten.

He had really kind of forged a niche in their side, he had a role and he played it, averaged almost 40 over 15 tests, then he wasn’t there.
And he’s actually coming off runs in their one day comp.
Desmond Haynes said Bonner was still in consideration but needs to make runs in the 4 day comp.

He also said they contacted Darren Bravo but Bravo said he's sticking with his decision to take a rest from cricket.

Haynes seems to fairly consistently contradict himself with selection criteria and gets a fair few players offside quite often.

Desmond Haynes said Bonner was still in consideration but needs to make runs in the 4 day comp.

He also said they contacted Darren Bravo but Bravo said he's sticking with his decision to take a rest from cricket.

Haynes seems to fairly consistently contradict himself with selection criteria and gets a fair few players offside quite often.
Yes he’s not very popular among the fan base either.

Bonnor can’t make runs in a four day comp that hasn’t been held yet

To choose a non descript t20 nothing competition and playing Test cricket

With respect and while I do wish he was playing test cricket, he hasn’t chosen a non-descript t20 comp. He’s chosen the World Cup. He wants to play at the World Cup and has stated openly that he wants to keep playing test cricket after it.

He’s chosen the t20 World Cup.

The selectors have stated that to be considered the West Indies players had to play the current t20 series against England and the one against Australia in February and the only other t20 cricket Holder could play in between time was either the Big Bash - which is a s**t truck competition anyway, AND which he would have missed because of the current t20 series and the Test series, or the t20 series he’s going to play in the UAE.

Last year was one of the worst games I've seen but in the last five or six years I've also seen a side bowled out for 30 odd and a triple century, fomo will see me there plus any time you get a chance to go to a Test match it's a privilege.
Yep, can't fault your logic there.

Still pissed off however.......

With respect and while I do wish he was playing test cricket, he hasn’t chosen a non-descript t20 comp. He’s chosen the World Cup. He wants to play at the World Cup and has stated openly that he wants to keep playing test cricket after it.

He’s chosen the t20 World Cup.

The selectors have stated that to be considered the West Indies players had to play the current t20 series against England and the one against Australia in February and the only other t20 cricket Holder could play in between time was either the Big Bash - which is a s**t truck competition anyway, AND which he would have missed because of the current t20 series and the Test series, or the t20 series he’s going to play in the UAE.
Fair enough.
I hadn't realised selectors had put such a condition on playing

This is why test cricket is almost dead and buried it’s a very inexperienced team coming to a place that’s extremely difficult to win at. Aside from India no one else in recent times has even made the test series here competitive and it’s losing people’s interest big time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back