Analysis Scott Selwood Debate

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anybody think he still has a role as a tagger? I reckon he's too experienced to drop completely, but he definitely can't continue in his current role. When he was a full time tagger he was rated as one of the best in the league.

I think he has missed so much we need to give him more time. It's true he's not a Cousins that could come back after a year off and still kill it straight away, but he did genuinely win a B&F not so long ago for good reason. Either way we want to give him more time to do well for us to really benefit from keeping or trading.

I think he has missed so much we need to give him more time. It's true he's not a Cousins that could come back after a year off and still kill it straight away, but he did genuinely win a B&F not so long ago for good reason. Either way we want to give him more time to do well for us to really benefit from keeping or trading.
His obviously seriously unfit because of that ankle injury he hasn't done a whole heap of running.
I think he should of come back through a month of WAFL.

Having said that think his taking a spot of Yeo or a Duggan or Sheed in the midfield and that is detrimental to our side and their improvement so trading him seems like a positive option right now.

Dom Sheed had more touches in one quarter of footy..

And look where they went. One ball they had to recover off Mount Wellington.:confused:

The question is who better replaces Selwood?

In those conditions you need good ball users with smarts. I like Bennell in the side even though he doesn't get a lot of the ball, at least he uses it well.

Scooter looks underdone which is no surprise really. And we are about to bring Darling into the side after 1 WAFL game. At least he can rest deep forward, pretty hard to rest if your a mid.

I truly believe our injuries have been a blessing in some ways. We've brought in younger more skilful players and lost the likes of Selwood and Brown who are poor by foot.

How Simpson picks a side with everyone available will be interesting.

Selwood certainly isn't playing himself into a big pay rise so maybe he will look elsewhere.

I have nothing against Scooter personally but i really hope the club have a look at the role of the tagger as null and void after yesterdays game.

One of the things i've noticed watching the Dockers so far this year is that Crowley infact hindered them all those years and having the extra attacking midfielder in their unit has opened up a style they were not previously capable of playing.

Clearances are up across the board for their midfield unit simply because they have one more attacking midfielder around the ball.

I seriously doubt Crowley even has a role in their side anymore.

The good teams are the ones the can get on their bike and run both ways. The tagger doesn't get himself involved often in scoring chains, very rarely places himself in a position to take a possession and doesn't bring others into the game simply because his role is to negate, not to participate.

The tagger is dead.

Give me the extra attacking mid who will spread and win his own footy any day of the week.

Whether Scooter is capable of returning to form is a different argument all together but i don't feel comfortable playing both Scooter and Pridda in the same midfield anymore.

If we have to play Scooter as a tagger to accommodate this then i feel we are trying to shove a square block through a circular hole.

His obviously seriously unfit because of that ankle injury he hasn't done a whole heap of running.
I think he should of come back through a month of WAFL.

Having said that think his taking a spot of Yeo or a Duggan or Sheed in the midfield and that is detrimental to our side and their improvement so trading him seems like a positive option right now.
I agree somewhat. I think he should have come back through the WAFL. He did alright first game back though which would probably vindicate the decision originally. I think we should give him more time.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have nothing against Scooter personally but i really hope the club have a look at the role of the tagger as null and void after yesterdays game.

One of the things i've noticed watching the Dockers so far this year is that Crowley infact hindered them all those years and having the extra attacking midfielder in their unit has opened up a style they were not previously capable of playing.

Clearances are up across the board for their midfield unit simply because they have one more attacking midfielder around the ball.

I seriously doubt Crowley even has a role in their side anymore.

The good teams are the ones the can get on their bike and run both ways. The tagger doesn't get himself involved often in scoring chains, very rarely places himself in a position to take a possession and doesn't bring others into the game simply because his role is to negate, not to participate.

The tagger is dead.

Give me the extra attacking mid who will spread and win his own footy any day of the week.

Whether Scooter is capable of returning to form is a different argument all together but i don't feel comfortable playing both Scooter and Pridda in the same midfield anymore.

If we have to play Scooter as a tagger to accommodate this then i feel we are trying to shove a square block through a circular hole.

This.

And yet... Rosa's effort on Judd and Duggan's tag on Montagna arguably secured us two wins.

Did it though?

Rosa was great on Judd and quieted him down after quarter time but even if Judd had a monster would Carlton have won? I doubt it.

As for St Kilda well we kind of took our foot off the peddle and let them back in the game but it wasn't due to Duggan's tag that we steamrolled them in the fourth.

Needs a role, not sure what it is. He'd be one of the worst field/goal kicks in our side (Priddis is far and away a better kick than him now).

We just didn't notice it so much a few years ago because our whole side's skills were poor and the game plan didn't require us to pin-point kicks as much as it does now.

I'd like to say move him back as a small defender like his brother ended up doing, but his kicking out of defence might be an issue.

As was the complaint when he was brought straight back into the side without having to find form in the WAFL, him being in the middle means Yeo is pushed out, simple as that, it's the Priddis debate all over again, but Priddis>>>>Selwood.

Was waiting for this to come up. Wasn't good yesterday and is arguably in the firing line for the Essendon game for Ellis to come back in.

Certainly not marking his card yet, he is a quality shut down midfielder and contested player but needs to be changed up in his role. I'd change his role or even send him back to the Royals to gain some match fitness.

Not sure why they brought him back so sudden tbh.

Had a great game first up, but understandably didn't have the best second game. He's been out of it for a while now.

Only had the low possessions because he was tagging all game. Played on Ziebell I think, who is a huge unit and just barged his way through contests most of the time.

Needs to be played for trade value if nothing else.

Won't get s**t for him atm if he leaves at the end of the season.

If he's traded for something decent then so be it, but he's clearly best in the best 22-25 range, happy for him to keep getting games. His grunt work inside is excellent, I appreciate the point that having both Priddis and Selwood in the same midfield really opens us up and that's fair. Perhaps he could try down back in the WAFL for a week or two and reassess after the bye? I'm not going to satunchly defend him like he's an absolute gun, but I think he definitely has a role in our 22.

Only had the low possessions because he was tagging all game. Played on Ziebell I think, who is a huge unit and just barged his way through contests most of the time.
ziebel 24 and a goal to his 10
. So effectively 1 man short for the game wasting 1 on a tag . Boomer had 24 and a goal so who did he tag

Was waiting for this to come up. Wasn't good yesterday and is arguably in the firing line for the Essendon game for Ellis to come back in.

Certainly not marking his card yet, he is a quality shut down midfielder and contested player but needs to be changed up in his role. I'd change his role or even send him back to the Royals to gain some match fitness.
He's a crap contested player he's not a naturally strong guy, Can't break a tackle Can't get his arms free

Remove this Banner Ad

Back