SDJFL Past greats

Remove this Banner Ad

Must of been playin bout the same time HJ. What about some of these names during my days- C. Dunne, Pellegrino, D Inness (Broad.) D Jones, Ronnie (StM) W Old, T Robinson H McD Liddell Papa (Sey) Rowan Mills (Eur). Still the scariest of all was M Kinnear (Kilm) back in the U/11s.

HJ32 said:
i can sorta remember the day your are talking about Raider. I was only u/10's back then but also remember a TV Network Chopper there that day too!

my SDJFL Days were from 1987 - 1994. Hilts and JJ, were probably the best two players during my time. I had some good battles with fellas such as Ronnie Spykers (st marys) James Head (St Marys) Brett Slade (Bford) Ray Rowbo (Bford) and Mark Mills (Euroa).

Here's some where are they nows from some of my former Lions teammates:

Justin Rooney - Moved to Wycheproof and played a fair few senior games there. Then located at Swan Hill - not sure if he's still playing footy.

Kristen Gaehl - Journeyman who I dont think has kicked a footy in anger since round 1 of the GV season in 1996 when we beat Euroa in the 3rds.

Wes Bishop - I think he's managing a club x franchise somewhere in Melbourne.

Damian Lindsay - Don't think he plays footy anymore, but a successful music career was on the horizon at one stage.

Brendan Donovan - Had a stellar u/10 season via the astute coaching of Jack Bishop in 1987, but did a knee at a young age and never seen again.

Colin Rossiter - Bushies/Mildura/Colbinabbin/Seymour/Mildura - still playing i think.
Justin Rooney left Wyche to play up at Woorinen and now playing at Lalbert in the Central Murray I think.

How did Kristen "Saucehead/The Wanderer) Gaehl ever go in football? I hear he spent as much time on the field as he does in the pubs/clubs due to frequent bans!

What happened with his brother Jez this year at the Lions?

ringo1 said:
There were two darren Kemps one from Kilmore and one from Broadford. Are we talking about manchild from Broadford? If so he was huge in u/16's

I'm referring to Kempy from Broadford. Another one was big Dave Kiddy from Kilmore.

Doona2 said:
Shannon was one of the quickest blokes in my year which would surprise those that know him. Dunno if young Blakey can be called a young gun of late, not in the best of form with the whip, and as for young Ryan well he's always in flying form!!!

Ya never said last night van if you're heading up to Broadford with one of our former 3rds guns in Robbo ;)

yeah woodnt have picked shannon for being quick!

blake is a young gun mate, scobie breasley medal as an apprentice, although he hasnt won many big races yet hes still only 19 n hes in the big ones! kid will win a lot!
bloody ryan though can b a pest ringing me everyday wantin 2 me 2 go get pissed with him hes makin me unfit! ahha
broadford nah mate, dunno wat im doin yet, supposed 2 b going up 2 bendigo for pre season, see how that goes

vantheman32 said:
blake is a young gun mate, scobie breasley medal as an apprentice, although he hasnt won many big races yet hes still only 19 n hes in the big ones! kid will win a lot!

Just kidding about Blake van - the young fella can certainly ride but battles on the golf course as I reckon I've rolled him every time we go out!!!

One Kilmore bloke I left out earlier was Terry Ahearn. Complete oversight as Tez is a personal mate, was an exceptional junior footballer and is doing good things for the Blues in his current role as senior coach.

Was talking with good mate Adam "Lej" Lejins about this thread and one name he'd love to hear about is Peter Tuckwell. Tucky from memory was a Seymour Lions boy and Lej reckons he used to go alright at little Aths . . . . what's he doing these days?

Was talking with good mate Adam "Lej" Lejins about this thread and one name he'd love to hear about is Peter Tuckwell. Tucky from memory was a Seymour Lions boy and Lej reckons he used to go alright at little Aths . . . . what's he doing these days?

Actually spent a day at the Yarra Glen races wth the big Tuckster late last year when I attended Kieran "Mad Dog" McCrohan's Bucks Day. Can't remember what he said he's doing but he is living in Melbourne somewhere.
And it was swimming that the big man excelled at.

What a great thread to browse through. Absolutely cured my hangover. Cant stop grinning. Some absolute great memories.
I have to say Ronald Spykers from Stmary's stood out for me. Not just the fact that he was the only Asian in country Victoria at the time, but in under 12's he seemed to be 6ft 3 and averaged more disposals than greg williams and robert harvey together.

Justin Rooney...... He was a great junior, but was clearly visible that he had a short fuse, and I suspected his career wouldn't kick on too well.

Mark Kinnear was very good as well. Does anyone know if he plays anymore?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually spent a day at the Yarra Glen races wth the big Tuckster late last year when I attended Kieran "Mad Dog" McCrohan's Bucks Day.

Whatever happened to Kieran? He was a fairly handy player who I'm sure suffered the affliction commonly known as gingervitis. Did he go to Assumption?

What a great thread to browse through. Absolutely cured my hangover. Cant stop grinning. Some absolute great memories.

Mark Kinnear was very good as well. Does anyone know if he plays anymore?

I'm pretty sure Kinnear went off the rails in a major way...heard he broke into a mates house looking for stuff to steal & sell to feed his addiction:(

Not a good story as he was one of the most natural footballers i've seen and a pleasure to watch, even when he was so young!

What about Wayne Kilmartin from Broadford Doona?

I'm pretty sure Kinnear went off the rails in a major way...heard he broke into a mates house looking for stuff to steal & sell to feed his addiction:(

Not a good story as he was one of the most natural footballers i've seen and a pleasure to watch, even when he was so young!

What about Wayne Kilmartin from Broadford Doona?

Have no idea what young fruity Kinnear is up to these days, but agree he was one very talented young man.

Unsure what happened to the Kilmartin's Junkie, the family musta left town 10-15 years ago at a guess.

Whatever happened to Kieran? He was a fairly handy player who I'm sure suffered the affliction commonly known as gingervitis. Did he go to Assumption?

Ha played under 10's with the Mad Dog, another who jumped ship to end up playing footy and cricket against us. Hey Grandy is he playing footy or cricket these days???

Thought we better try and revive this thread fella's, no doubt a few of you mighta caught up with rellies or mates over the Xmas break who may have had some names.

A cousin of mine (Paul Speechley) still remember Darren Comi as an out and out gun in his junior days - and I was at a 30th prior to Xmas where I caught up with Ashley Chapman who I reckon booted 100 for Wallan 16's white boots and all

Mad Dog went to Abumption until Year 10 when he joined at STHS. After school he combined with Uni and with overseas travel and is now a teacher as some swisho private school in Melb. I'm pretty sure it's Wesley College.

Ha played under 10's with the Mad Dog, another who jumped ship to end up playing footy and cricket against us. Hey Grandy is he playing footy or cricket these days???

A cousin of mine (Paul Speechley) still remember Darren Comi as an out and out gun in his junior days - and I was at a 30th prior to Xmas where I caught up with Ashley Chapman who I reckon booted 100 for Wallan 16's white boots and all

No, I don't believe the Puppy is playing either sport.
Matthew Makin was a fella that popped up on this thread a couple of months back and lo and behold last week I was flicking through the Herald Sun and on a rural page or something there was a pic of this fella called Matt Makin (red hair and all) who I think they described as a Vet or something. Could it be the same one?

Matthew Makin was a fella that popped up on this thread a couple of months back and lo and behold last week I was flicking through the Herald Sun and on a rural page or something there was a pic of this fella called Matt Makin (red hair and all) who I think they described as a Vet or something. Could it be the same one?

Wouldn't have thought it was him, Makes got into the banks after school, spent time at Crown and then back to the banks I thought.

I could be wrong though.

One bloke from our vintage I haven't heard of for a while was Anthony Skinner. Remember a day at Broady he got the ball in the back pocket and no bugger could catch him, ran all the way and goaled for Pucka . . . . there only score of the day, unfortunately there was many a day like that for Pucka, even though they always battled he was a standout.

One bloke from our vintage I haven't heard of for a while was Anthony Skinner. Remember a day at Broady he got the ball in the back pocket and no bugger could catch him, ran all the way and goaled for Pucka . . . . there only score of the day, unfortunately there was many a day like that for Pucka, even though they always battled he was a standout.

Good get Doona! Yes, A. Skinner, Pucka's only shining light through some tough times. The toughest ask back in those days playing away against Pucka was negotiating the cliff on the way down to the ground from the rooms without half the side succumbing to serious injury.

Wouldn't have thought it was him, Makes got into the banks after school, spent time at Crown and then back to the banks I thought.

I could be wrong though.

I saw Ton Ton at a Seymour game a couple of seasons back. Looked well on the way to matching his old man's physique and had even less hair.
Think he might be living in Wodonga.

Good get Doona! Yes, A. Skinner, Pucka's only shining light through some tough times. The toughest ask back in those days playing away against Pucka was negotiating the cliff on the way down to the ground from the rooms without half the side succumbing to serious injury.

Yes, A Skinner was a star for the blue and whites, but let's not forget they also had one Chad "Pop" Rivett for a little while.
Sure was tough coming up against a guy that was 6 foot 8 in Under 12s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back