Season 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Bourke's article on Saturday re Fev- does that paint Yarrawonga into a corner? Surely any club looking for a coach will be all over him. Did Fev sign a 2 or 3 year deal last year? What happens to the O&M if he doesn't get the Yarrawonga job, and signs as a coach for a club in another league? They may allow him to play a 1 off game for us!

Bourke's article on Saturday re Fev- does that paint Yarrawonga into a corner? Surely any club looking for a coach will be all over him. Did Fev sign a 2 or 3 year deal last year? What happens to the O&M if he doesn't get the Yarrawonga job, and signs as a coach for a club in another league? They may allow him to play a 1 off game for us!
Yarra would be smart to appoint him as co coach with Drew Barnes for season 2015.

Hasn't Fev built or in the process of building a home at Yarra? I don't think he will be moving to far. If he did leave, good luck to the next club that gets him, they will be on a winner, and Yarra should have already built a nice nest egg thanks to the time he spent there.

Yarra would lose an astute footy brain, but they'd have enough cash stashed away to grab the next big thing to leave the AFL. I don't think there would be too many losers to be honest

Hasn't Fev built or in the process of building a home at Yarra? I don't think he will be moving to far. If he did leave, good luck to the next club that gets him, they will be on a winner, and Yarra should have already built a nice nest egg thanks to the time he spent there.

Yarra would lose an astute footy brain, but they'd have enough cash stashed away to grab the next big thing to leave the AFL. I don't think there would be too many losers to be honest

So you know they have a nest egg

Should be a couple of interesting games this week after the week off.

Yarrawonga and Corowa should be a cracker, with yarra losing a couple of blokes to the rep game, and corowa getting Zorzi in, its probably their best chance to beat them..

Lavington and Rovers should be a good contest as well, its well documented the rovers have had a fair injury list, but according to the chronicle they should get a few back, lowe, kneebone and mulligan should stiffen their defence, the panthers have their own injury problems, and it remains to be seen when butler, stevens, prior and aalbers return, and with Lenehan out this week an upset could be on the cards..

Albury play North Albury at the sportsground and the way the tigers are going should knotch up another 10 goal plus victory.

Wang and Myrtleford lock horns at the showgrounds and with the saints recent good form they deserve to start favourites, I think this will be a really close game..

And Wodonga will break their duck by beating raiders in the derby, looking forward to getting to a game this weekend

Should be a couple of interesting games this week after the week off.

Yarrawonga and Corowa should be a cracker, with yarra losing a couple of blokes to the rep game, and corowa getting Zorzi in, its probably their best chance to beat them..

Lavington and Rovers should be a good contest as well, its well documented the rovers have had a fair injury list, but according to the chronicle they should get a few back, lowe, kneebone and mulligan should stiffen their defence, the panthers have their own injury problems, and it remains to be seen when butler, stevens, prior and aalbers return, and with Lenehan out this week an upset could be on the cards..

Albury play North Albury at the sportsground and the way the tigers are going should knotch up another 10 goal plus victory.

Wang and Myrtleford lock horns at the showgrounds and with the saints recent good form they deserve to start favourites, I think this will be a really close game..

And Wodonga will break their duck by beating raiders in the derby, looking forward to getting to a game this weekend

Yarra by at least 6 goals.
Albury not by 10 goals, make that 15 goals....
Of course, these margins also depend on the ground conditions/weather .

Can someone reply to me on this subject.... The Albury Thunder, with all their success over the past 3 or 4 seasons, I ask what sort of crowds are they pulling at their home games at Greenfield Park .??? A 1000, 1500 plus. Please give me your opinion.

So you know they have a nest egg

MI, I just went back to have a look at my post and I can't see anywhere that I stated that I "know" they have a bit stashed away. I did say that they "should" and maintain that stance given their increase in membership and attendance at home games over the past few years. But hey, maybe it's all pushed straight back into current player payments and keeping the list as strong as possible.

Not in the know at Yarra, so it's just an assumption, and we all know that assumption is the mother of all ........ well you know what I mean!

Couldn't help but laugh at the fact that a group of ex O&M legends have got together to try and stop Yarra and Albury's dominance in the competition. Because that is what they're doing isn't it? Just so the team that they played, coached and/or barrack for wins a flag in the next couple of years.. It's pretty embarrassing for them to be honest. One was quoted "there are only 3 teams, and mine is hopeful at best, with a chance of winning the premiership and that has been clearly evident from Christmas". Well Tim, cry me a river. I go for Western Bulldogs and my team isn't even hopeful at best. I'm not going to whinge and try to change the way the competition is run so they win the flag. I'll buy a membership every year though, because they're my team and I'll stick by them no matter what.

I really hope the points system that is being talked about is brought in. Say it takes 2 years for the system to become fully established and effective. Probably the same amount of time that Albury, Yarra and Lavi will be dominant for considering the age of their better players..
Wouldn't that be a smart move. Give those 3 teams a better chance against the rest of the competition when their era is over..

In my opinion Albury and yarra have had the best rivalry of all time in the league and it has been a joy to watch over the past 5 or 6 years. They brought the biggest crowds I have seen in bush footy in my time and it is a credit to them. Yes, the crowds have been down this year but what are we comparing these numbers to? the last 2 years when Fev, Barry and a number of other high profile players entered the competition or 7 years ago when you would be lucky to get 120 people through the gate? that's when we should be comparing numbers to..

Stop whinging and get back on your bike

Couldn't help but laugh at the fact that a group of ex O&M legends have got together to try and stop Yarra and Albury's dominance in the competition. Because that is what they're doing isn't it? Just so the team that they played, coached and/or barrack for wins a flag in the next couple of years.. It's pretty embarrassing for them to be honest. One was quoted "there are only 3 teams, and mine is hopeful at best, with a chance of winning the premiership and that has been clearly evident from Christmas". Well Tim, cry me a river. I go for Western Bulldogs and my team isn't even hopeful at best. I'm not going to whinge and try to change the way the competition is run so they win the flag. I'll buy a membership every year though, because they're my team and I'll stick by them no matter what.

I really hope the points system that is being talked about is brought in. Say it takes 2 years for the system to become fully established and effective. Probably the same amount of time that Albury, Yarra and Lavi will be dominant for considering the age of their better players..
Wouldn't that be a smart move. Give those 3 teams a better chance against the rest of the competition when their era is over..

In my opinion Albury and yarra have had the best rivalry of all time in the league and it has been a joy to watch over the past 5 or 6 years. They brought the biggest crowds I have seen in bush footy in my time and it is a credit to them. Yes, the crowds have been down this year but what are we comparing these numbers to? the last 2 years when Fev, Barry and a number of other high profile players entered the competition or 7 years ago when you would be lucky to get 120 people through the gate? that's when we should be comparing numbers to..

Stop whinging and get back on your bike

Mick Cronin has probably been he most objective of the lot. Shooter is also dead right.

Of course he would say there is nothing wrong with the competition, it's an easy statement when you're not looking at the ladder positions below 3. Yes every club may have played in a grand final in the modern era, at what cost though to some of them, if they didn't get the best result, they can't afford to go out the next season and spend another 50k like some others.

Cronin was very measured, wasn't vindictive in his response, but he also has the advantage of having what just may be the best young group of kids running around at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully everyone who is upset with the comments from the guys in the paper are part of the volunteer group at your own club.

• Fev is right. When I went to albury it was on the back of a winless season. The next 2 years we won 5 and 7 games respectively. We got belted by the likes of Wodonga North and Corowa handsomely and regularly. The wheel turns and it will continue too if clubs make the right decisions along the lines of what Lavi have done.

• Fev is right. When I went to albury it was on the back of a winless season. The next 2 years we won 5 and 7 games respectively. We got belted by the likes of Wodonga North and Corowa handsomely and regularly. The wheel turns and it will continue too if clubs make the right decisions along the lines of what Lavi have done.
Don't Lavi get a financial advantage over many other clubs simply because they host the granny each year? I'm with the group of O&M legends in thinking that a team like Myrtleford or Cor/Ruth have absolutely no hope of raising enough funds to build a team over a number of years to seriously challenge. Crowds is one argument but surely the biggest ones are for Yarra and Albury home games.

I think equalisation should be a priority for ALL country footy leagues. Local communities should be encouraged to develop their own talent and shouldn't need to spend silly amounts of money to have a competitive footy team.

Agree - the money is obscene!

Don't Lavi get a financial advantage over many other clubs simply because they host the granny each year? I'm with the group of O&M legends in thinking that a team like Myrtleford or Cor/Ruth have absolutely no hope of raising enough funds to build a team over a number of years to seriously challenge. Crowds is one argument but surely the biggest ones are for Yarra and Albury home games.

I think equalisation should be a priority for ALL country footy leagues. Local communities should be encouraged to develop their own talent and shouldn't need to spend silly amounts of money to have a competitive footy team.

You are right when you say the wheel turns but some of the clubs who have made or won grand finals in recent years or even just finished high in finals have been left in poor financial condition since. I find it interesting that Tim Sanson is very vocal about the situation even though Lavi is sitting 3rd and some of the other guys spoke about the strain on their clubs just trying to keep up. The argument doesn't seem to be so much about the chance of making a grand final. It seems more about closing the gap between the top and bottom sides so that clubs don't drop off.

Ben Hollands tweet about Aker being a "whingeing, irrelevant old man", is a poor attempt at masking the real issue. Aker has a lot less talent at his disposal this year, while Hollands has "on paper", a superior side. 326 AFL games, 3 premierships and a Brownlow surely makes Aker anything but irrelevant. North has defeated Wodonga on both occasions this year. The real issue here is simply that Benny can't coach.

Witnessed a young team in North albury crack in against the best team in the comp. Was fantastic to watch them take the game on and not care who they were playing. The end result of 50 points doesn't reflect the game with the hoppers hitting the front in the 3rd quarter. Alot of people wouldn't have thought they'd get close to the bottom teams at the start of the year, so for them to be playing so well week in week out is a credit to themselves.

Witnessed a young team in North albury crack in against the best team in the comp. Was fantastic to watch them take the game on and not care who they were playing. The end result of 50 points doesn't reflect the game with the hoppers hitting the front in the 3rd quarter. Alot of people wouldn't have thought they'd get close to the bottom teams at the start of the year, so for them to be playing so well week in week out is a credit to themselves.
Frank, agree. 8 months ago on this forum, during all the turmoil at the Hoppers, opinion was nothing but doom and gloom. Well done to Aker, he could well of said , stuff this, Im out of here..... but has given his commitment and I take my hat off to him.

Just a comment,, yes money, ie player match payments/contracts to gun players is a huge issue . But , hang on, it has been for 35 years. Nothing has really changed. We have seen clubs in all country footy leagues have success , mostly after being cashed up and paying big bucks to gun recruits. But when the cash cow dwindles , the club falls to the bottom rung of the ladder for a number of seasons .. like a yo yo up and down.
My point is, Albury have made a business plan, blueprint, and its working.They are at a stage where not only their seniors have been up there for 5 years, but so have their reserve grade side and under 18s side which gives them incredible depth and they are making sure they harness and develop these youngsters that will assist them in being a top side each season , with these youngsters replacing the senior guys that retire.
On top of that, they are in a position to recruit 2 or 3 gun recruits just to compliment the balance.
Yes, I agree they are fortunate to have their major sponsor in Joss heavily involved in the club and providing employment to some players,,, this is a huge advantage.But there is more to it then this, and that is the business plan they have implemented. Success breds success, and a huge culture now exists at the Albury Tigers.Be prepared for this club to achieve a lot more success over the next few seasons . May well become a greater dynasty then the Wang Rovers championship era of the mid 70s and 80s.

Interesting to see how long it took fevola to leave the ground on the weekend after being shown the yellow card.

Just a comment,, yes money, ie player match payments/contracts to gun players is a huge issue . But , hang on, it has been for 35 years. Nothing has really changed. We have seen clubs in all country footy leagues have success , mostly after being cashed up and paying big bucks to gun recruits. But when the cash cow dwindles , the club falls to the bottom rung of the ladder for a number of seasons .. like a yo yo up and down.
My point is, Albury have made a business plan, blueprint, and its working.They are at a stage where not only their seniors have been up there for 5 years, but so have their reserve grade side and under 18s side which gives them incredible depth and they are making sure they harness and develop these youngsters that will assist them in being a top side each season , with these youngsters replacing the senior guys that retire.
On top of that, they are in a position to recruit 2 or 3 gun recruits just to compliment the balance.
Yes, I agree they are fortunate to have their major sponsor in Joss heavily involved in the club and providing employment to some players,,, this is a huge advantage.But there is more to it then this, and that is the business plan they have implemented. Success breds success, and a huge culture now exists at the Albury Tigers.Be prepared for this club to achieve a lot more success over the next few seasons . May well become a greater dynasty then the Wang Rovers championship era of the mid 70s and 80s.
I agree on all of that study. I don't think what was considered to be big money 15, 20 even 30 years ago comes close to what big money is these days and that is why people are uncomfortable about the situation Albury have. They have great resources to implement such plans. It simply isn't as easy for the clubs with less money and resource. The club I'm involved with work extremely hard with juniors and having those right structures in place to nuture talent. It's hard when kids turn around and see Albury and say bugger it I'm going to play there they win all the time il just be in s**t sides here. As you say success breds success. They spend ridiculous amounts and I mean ridiculous amounts of money on these recruits they get in. I mean most clubs would be flat out paying one of them let alone 6 or 7. But they have the resource to do so and good on them. The days of spending 250 to 300k and winning a flag and that being considered a hell of Alot of money to out lay are gone. Clubs go broke doing it. Myrtleford are a prime example. North albury in more recent times. Thats my opinion. Goodluck to Albury they are an awesome side and will take a power of beating. I can't see there dominance ending any time soon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back